UK Retailer Claims September iPod Touch Refresh to Bring 5-MP Camera, HD Video Recording, FaceTime, and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 8, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Electricpig.co.uk reports that prominent UK retailer John Lewis has shared what it believes to be details of a forthcoming refresh to Apple's iPod touch line scheduled for a September release. The information, shared at the company's "Xmas in July" event in London, is reportedly based "noises we're hearing from suppliers", and while we consider it fairly speculative in nature, the report is gaining a fair amount of traction today.

John Lewis claims that the next-generation iPod touch will gain a 5-megapixel camera with flash, as well as the same HD video recording capabilities found in the iPhone 4. And while the company's information does not specifically address whether the next iPod touch will have a front-facing camera, it does claim that Apple's FaceTime video calling feature will be included, making such a camera a necessity. Finally, the retailer claims that the iPod touch will gain a gyroscope, as found in the iPhone 4, for more sensitive controls for gaming, augmented reality, and other types of applications.

The report is silent on whether the next-generation iPod touch will adopt the high-resolution "Retina" display found in the iPhone 4, although it seems likely Apple will want to bring the key screen improvement to its iPod line. Also unaddressed is what the brains behind the new device will be, but Apple will almost certainly shift to the in-house Apple A4 system-on-a-chip used in the iPad and iPhone 4.

It is interesting to note that the current iPod touch had been widely expected to carry a rear-facing camera similar to that found in the iPhone 3GS, but the feature, which was seen in multiple prototypes of the device, was removed before the design was finalized. While the reason for the removal of the camera from the final iPod touch design has never been officially confirmed, it appears that Apple may have discovered that the device's thinner profile compared to that of the iPhone did not allow enough room for the higher-quality rear-facing camera found in the iPhone 3GS and felt that an iPod nano-style low-resolution camera taking video only was not an acceptably performing feature in such a device.

It is unclear whether the next-generation iPod touch will face a similar issue incorporating the camera used in the iPhone 4, as the camera module does appear to be fairly thick. Apple could obviously address the issue by increasing the overall thickness of the device, which would also allow room for other features such as an increased battery size, but it is unknown whether the company would be willing to compromise the iPod touch's sleek profile. Alternatively, adopting a more "squared off" design such as that used for the iPhone 4 could provide Apple with the needed additional space at the top of the device when compared to the existing tapered design.

In weighing the next-generation iPod touch's camera chances with design challenges in mind, it in fact appears that a front-facing camera may be even more likely than a rear-facing camera. The lower-resolution front-facing camera found on the iPhone 4 would certainly be thin enough to fit into the iPod touch's existing profile and would deliver FaceTime video calling capabilities, an important feature for the Wi-Fi only device.

[​IMG]

Supporting the idea of a FaceTime-enabled iPod touch is a slide presented by Steve Jobs at Apple's introduction of the iPhone 4 indicating that the company expects to ship tens of millions of "FaceTime devices" this year. As noted by Daring Fireball's John Gruber, Apple's decision to use the term "FaceTime devices" rather than simply addressing the iPhone 4 suggests that the company has more in store for the feature, with the iPod touch being an obvious possibility.

Article Link: UK Retailer Claims September iPod Touch Refresh to Bring 5-MP Camera, HD Video Recording, FaceTime, and More

2. BlackZ macrumors member

BlackZ

They already released the new iPod, its the iPhone 4 with no reception ... and a bigger harddisk.

3. MacHiavelli macrumors 65816

MacHiavelli

This news broke yesterday on another Apple site:
    http://technologme.com/new-ipods-coming-soon-with-micro-sims/1463/

Apple’s iPod range was last revamped on 9th September 2009. In the last year, Apple has had its hands pretty full.

On 3rd April, Apple created a whole new IT genre with the launch of the “magical” iPad, and on 24th June the world went crazy for the iPhone 4, sporting the new iOS 4 operating system.

So what of the iPod family . . . the ground breaking range of music players that hooked a generation and kick-started so much of Apple’s recent success?

Yesterday, we got an anonymous tip-off that the new iPod Touch would be released “within weeks” (though our tipster did nothing to authenticate their claims) and that it would share many of the features now found in the new iPhone 4:

> Retina display (960×640 LCD)

> Front and rear facing cameras – to support FaceTime over wifi (which sounds dubious given that the very first FaceTime calls currently require a phone connection to be made)

> HD video recording

> A4 processor + 512 MB RAM

> New “flat” iPhone 4 like design with glass/aluminium construction

> Micro-SIM to keep iPod touch users connected whilst on the move (possibility of shared data plans: two or more micro-SIMs sharing the same data number with only one being able to make a connection at any one time – allowing iPod/iPad owners to choose which device they want to connect with whilst on the road)

So, an iPhone without the phone?

Or a small iPad which can connect whenever it is in range of a mobile phone signal?

Are the iWatering options getting muddied enough for you here?

If Apple launch a new iPod Touch as an iPhone-without-a-phone, then a move to a flatter iPhone-like design would make sense. But if the move is to make the iPod Touch a smaller iPad, then keeping the more curved design of the current iPod Touch/iPad would seem more likely.

A micro-SIM toting iPod Touch would be attractive to a lot of people, especially if packaged with shared data allowances or simple pay-as-you-use tariffs. A micro-SIM would also allow users to stay connected on the road (if they can get a signal) to Apple’s anticipated – though not yet confirmed - iTunes cloud service. It would also allow users to keep their iPods in sync with MobileMe data even when they are on the road.

As to timing, it seems unlikely that Apple would release new products to the market right now. Apple is already busy fulfilling iPhone 4 orders, and the summer is not usually regarded as a prime launch time given that people are initially on holiday and then cash-strapped having financed their holiday.

A revamp looks far more likely in September when Apple may well couple a product revamp with a back-to-school promotion.

4. malevolant macrumors 6502

isnt FaceTime supposed to be one of those ya know...PHONE features. Id be kind of upset if they start putting it on every new device...

5. azentropy macrumors 68020

azentropy

It will be interesting to see what price points they hit at. Will Apple have an iPod Touch with camera, GPS, Gyro, Retina, A4 etc and still hit a starting price point of $199? Or are they going to differentiate the line even more with low and higher end versions?

6. jacobo007 macrumors member

Go cry in another thread, we need no more iPhone reception debate

7. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

This is interesting. I always thought that Apple intentionally withheld features from the iPod Touch in order to try to persuade people to go with the iPhone. Putting a 5 MP camera w/flash, front camera, Facetime, and improved display on the Touch seems great for consumers, but also removes a lot of the incentive for people to buy iPhones, thus depriving Apple of 2 years of monthly revenue from customers.

8. crisss1205 macrumors 6502a

crisss1205

"iChat 6, now with FaceTime"

Anyone else see this? That figure could also reflect Mac sales.

9. the-oz-man macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

I think this is very exciting in general. I haven't owned an iPod since the 5th generation video and I don't plan on getting another one since the iPhone does everything I need, but I have to admit this list of features is fantastic considering the low price point. Millions more FaceTime users too.

10. lloydte macrumors newbie

Wow! You are funny. First class humor there from someone who doesn't even own an iPhone 4 and hence can't really comment on the reception issue... No reception issues here... Does that mean I have an iPhone 4 or a really cool iPod that makes phone calls to?

11. CaryMacGuy macrumors 6502a

CaryMacGuy

Here is what I think they are going to do..

16 GB iPod Touch 3rd Gen...$199
    32 GB iPod Touch with all innovations from iPhone 4...$299
    64 GB iPod Touch with all innovations from iPhone 4...$399

Also I think it is possible that they will have a 128 GB version. If that happens, I think it is safe to say that the iPod Classic will cease to exist.

12. Yvan256 macrumors 603

Yvan256

I, for one, want to see all the features of the iPhone 4 (minus the actual phone parts) make it into the next iPod touch.

A lot of carriers (such as those in Canada) are asking way too much and giving way too little in return for our money. There's also no competition to speak of, they all offer extremely similar packages for extremely similar prices. So no iPhone for me in the foreseeable future.

So please, add the higher resolution display, the 5MP back camera with video recording capabilities, the front facing camera for FaceTime, the gyroscope, the GPS... everything but the phone. Use the same casing as the iPhone to keep things simple and use the extra space for a bigger battery. :cool:

13. crisss1205 macrumors 6502a

crisss1205

Same as they have now.

iPhone 3G = iPod touch 8GB
    iPhone 3GS = 32/64GB iPod Touch

September:

iPhone 3GS = 16GB iPod touch (Camera?, Faster 3GS processor)
    iPhone 4 = 32/64GB iPod touch (Retina, Gyro, Camera(s), A4)

14. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I would only put the iPhone 4 features in the top of the line model.

15. ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant

What I'd want the touch to be...and I know this will always be a pipe dream...but be EXACTLY like the iPhone 4, just without the phone part. Retina display, same camera, same GPS, same gyroscope, same video recording stuff, same everything. I just don't need or want a phone. I don't want to sign away 2 years of my life and $55 bucks a month on a gadget. I know many many others need the phone part, but there are plenty of us out here that don't.

In fact, I'd wish they would do it as a cross between an iPad 3G and the iPhone 4. Same hardware as the iPhone 4...sans the phone....and make it Wife/3G with the same plan you get with the iPad 3G, where you can go month-to-month and opt-out or opt-in at any time.

Again, I'm sure this will NEVER happen because it would sell vast quantities and it's something that people would love to have....but there's always a "gotcha" when it comes to these things.

16. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

They all look like fairly obvious updates, I think the biggest potential surprise will be the industrial design. I expect a totally new design that will be somewhat different to the iPhone 4.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Didn't the retina display save some some space since the way they make it causes it to be thinner than the old display?

That's how they got more battery into the iPhone 4, I thought. It could be enough to give the iPod room for a rear camera too.

At any rate, I think that slide reading "Devices" is enough proof for a front-facing camera, at least.

18. cvaldes macrumors 68040

Nah, the BOM cost of the iPhone 4 is like $188. Even if they rip out the cellular gear, the BOM for the iPod touch 4 would still be probably around $170.

There's no way they're going to essential sell the iPod touch at cost.

It is far more likely that they will sell the 3rd generation iPod touch at $199 and the new iPod touch 4 at $299 and $399.

19. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

That's not smart wouldn't you rather have more people to face time with? Rather then be in some silly elitist club? This is what video chat NEEDS to succeed. It's been in an elitist club for years. Which has made it a huge failure. Apple should put face time in everything from phones to toasters. Once akk people have the hardware it'll be a nobrainer to use it.

20. cvaldes macrumors 68040

I would expect a design that is very very similar to the iPhone 4.

21. cvaldes macrumors 68040

This makes no sense, particularly in light of the fact that Steve Jobs actually mentioned that Apple wants to make FaceTime an open standard.

If the new iPod touch gets a front-facing camera, then it'll come to that device next. At some point, if the iPad gets a front-facing camera, FaceTime will arrive there. And most likely, Apple will offer FaceTime to Mac users (the notebooks and iMacs have included a built-in camera for years).

Device-specific exclusivity will not help Apple reach their goal of turning FaceTime into an open standard.

22. griz macrumors 6502a

I want an iPod touch with all the features of the iPhone4 without the contracted phone service. BUT, and this is a big but...I want pay as you go data like on the iPad. Then it could be used as a VOIP phone when on the go and only pay for it when I need it. Could also use it as a VOIP phone when in WIFI range which is a lot of the time. With VOIP now being a background capable feature, the iPod touch is primed for such functionality.
    If only the cellular companies would become non-contracted data providers we would all be in a much better place.

23. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

iPod Touch + Skype

This is going to be fun and with a camera. :3

24. ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant

Well, considering you can't use it with ya know....the PHONE part of the iPhone but only over Wifi, it doesn't matter much. Not to mention they want it as an open standard.

25. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

People had been making those claims since the original iPod touch. Eventually they'll get it right by luck.