Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week Apple announced new iPad Pro models with the faster M1 processor and a new mini-LED 12.9-inch display, as well as redesigned 24-inch iMac models. Both iPad models and iMacs will be available to pre-order from the April 30, and while Apple said they'll be shipping in the second half of May, it hasn't provided a specific date.

john-lewis-ipad-pro-launch-date.jpg

Today, however, U.K. retailer and long-time Apple stockist John Lewis has updated its online store to indicate that the new iMacs and both the 11-inch and 12.9-inch models of iPad Pro will be "available" from Friday, May 21. The reveal is notable, given that Apple usually launches new products in the U.K. on the same day as it does in the United States.

Assuming the date refers to launch rather than when pre-orders start, the date lines up with a prediction from leaker Jon Prosser, who on Monday suggested May 21 for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. Prosser also said the 11-inch iPad Pro could ship the day after on May 22, but that suggestion immediately came under suspicion because it's a Saturday, and Apple typically refrains from product launches during the weekend.

imac-john-lewis-2021.jpg

Reports have suggested that Apple has faced from considerable supply restraints due to the ongoing chip shortage, and the delay between the announcement and shipments of the new devices would seem to back up those reports. Indeed, during Apple's earnings briefing on Wednesday, CEO Tim Cook said that there would be supply issues affecting the iPad and Mac lines.

(Thanks, Jack!)

Update: Moments after this story was published, Prosser tweeted that "the '22nd' date I mentioned [for the iPad Pro launch] is linked to the 5G model for a certain carrier and should be disregarded for the most part."

Article Link: UK Retailer John Lewis Lists iPad Pro and iMac Launch Date as May 21

Last edited:

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2013
They called me Johnny Quick Hands in high school, I’m ready!

I'll have to join the race for the new macbook pros and, being in Europe, I'll have to sync with the west coast time zone...
I don't even inow if all the stores globally open at the same time, or staggered by time zone...

Got any clue?
Thanks

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I'll have to join the race for the new macbook pros and, being in Europe, I'll have to sync with the west coast time zone...
I don't even inow if all the stores globally open at the same time, or staggered by time zone...

Got any clue?
Thanks

Pre-Orders always start at the same time internationally. In Germany it is usually at 2 pm (5 am in California).
I would also recommend to use the Apple Store App. The website usually comes live after the App with many being sold by then

Reactions: EmotionalSnow

fivenotrump

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Central England

Got any clue?
Thanks
a new Macbook Pro hasn’t even been announced yet

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Do we have confirmed pre-order times for tomorrow yet? I'm in the UK so is it 8:00? or 13:00 like airtags? or something else?

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
<Deleted bit about Apple UK pre-order times. Already asked in another post>

Has anyone done an Apple first-day pre-order from the John Lewis site before? Does JL open its web pre-orders at exactly the same time that Apple does and does it give immediate feedback on when the order is expected to be delivered so that you can see if stuff is selling out and delivery dates slipping or does the JL online ordering simply look at the stock Apple has committed to deliver on the release day and once that has gone it simply shows some sort of non-committal message about when the order is likely to be fulfilled? (I realise no one knows for sure about how ordering will behave for the upcoming iPad release but presumably previous iPhone and iPad launches have given people a fairly good basis to predict how first-few-hours pre-ordering is likely to work on the JL site.

Reactions: Tybull

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
Given how well documented John Lewis struggles have been in the past couple of years hats off to them for announcing a date… I’d imagine quite a few sites might pick up on this and therefore drive more traffic to their website. Smart move!

Reactions: Tybull

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
If I do get an iMac or iPad Pro, might wait for the summer. Since I work in education, I'll see if I can take advantage of the "Back to School" event. Plus, it'll give me a chance to see reviews by early adopters.

JonaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2017
<Deleted bit about Apple UK pre-order times. Already asked in another post>

Has anyone done an Apple first-day pre-order from the John Lewis site before? Does JL open its web pre-orders at exactly the same time that Apple does and does it give immediate feedback on when the order is expected to be delivered so that you can see if stuff is selling out and delivery dates slipping or does the JL online ordering simply look at the stock Apple has committed to deliver on the release day and once that has gone it simply shows some sort of non-committal message about when the order is likely to be fulfilled? (I realise no one knows for sure about how ordering will behave for the upcoming iPad release but presumably previous iPhone and iPad launches have given people a fairly good basis to predict how first-few-hours pre-ordering is likely to work on the JL site.
They sell the stock they have been allocated and it will then go to 'sold out' from previous experience. I would imagine that Apple have requested a date & time to start accepting orders like happened with the PS5, otherwise JL tend to add it to their website outside of the busy times to avoid impacting 'normal' customers

Reactions: JulianL
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.