Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
In other news, "Webster's Dictionary" has changed it's definition of rip off to read "TomTom"

Ridiculous

No kidding. $70 for software plus $50 for the mount is all that this should cost considering you can get plenty of stand-alone GPS units for under $200.

Also, having a mount that probably doesn't accommodate cases is lame. Hopefully, they will at least sell mounts and software separately so if the software only turns out to be better than Navigon you can have the option of getting a mount later if you want... I bet they will sell the software only for $99-$120, $199 for a software/hardware bundle, and won't sell you the hardware only. If that is the case, it is going to be very hard for me to justify going with TomTom no matter how good it is.

neil1980

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
Yeah, Id have guessed in the region of £100.

When you think how much it costs for WM and then how much a genuine tomtom car mount is its probably about the same.

The one thing that worries me is that if you was driving and received a call on WM the turn by turn continued with just the voice on mute so you could still see where you were going.... how will the iphone handle this?

If it stops showing you where your meant to be heading then they have lost a sale here and I dont think they can afford to loose too many people given the high price point for this

mortfe

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
$193 seems like a lot of money. You can buy a dedicated GPS, much bigger. I got tired of waiting & paid $239 for a 800 series Garmin w/bluetooth. Also, you will probably pay tax & shipping, another $25.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Not that really, becuase you're still paying for map updates annually.

...or just $95 for Lifetime map updates.

If the rumors are true, the TomTom solution is dead even before it gets out of the starting blocks.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
...or just $95 for Lifetime map updates.

If the rumors are true, the TomTom solution is dead even before it gets out of the starting blocks.

I'm choking on that one.. my card doesn't want to be raped.....

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
How does this work when you get a phone call? To be honest, I'd be more interested in Tom Tom releasing a cheap app that can pipe data through to existing data enable TomToms. We've got a Go 720 but can't use the traffic feature anymore since we both got iPhones.

kj6tk

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2009
We can't use the Tom Tom car mount in California

Looks like it we can't use the Tom Tom car mount in California.

GPS must be mounted within "a 7-inch square area in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver (the passenger side) or in a 5-inch square area in the lower corner of the windshield nearest to the driver (the lower left corner of the windshield)." The profile of the iPhone is larger than 5 inchs so it can't be mounted on the drivers side and would just fit on the passenger side.

If you use it on the drivers side its a $108 fine for a "obstructed windshield" violation.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Looks like it we can't use the Tom Tom car mount in California.

GPS must be mounted within "a 7-inch square area in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver (the passenger side) or in a 5-inch square area in the lower corner of the windshield nearest to the driver (the lower left corner of the windshield)." The profile of the iPhone is larger than 5 inchs so it can't be mounted on the drivers side and would just fit on the passenger side.

If you use it on the drivers side its a $108 fine for a "obstructed windshield" violation.

that's not exactly what's meant to happen here... :/ bad luck

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Is it not the case that the price that the Tommies pay does not have a direct relationship to what we pay in the United States? I'm guessing it will be 149.99 for the kit and 99.99 for the software only....but with the US Dollar index as low as it is now, I'd hate to hazard a guess.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Is it not the case that the price that the Tommies pay does not have a direct relationship to what we pay in the United States? I'm guessing it will be 149.99 for the kit and 99.99 for the software only....but with the US Dollar index as low as it is now, I'd hate to hazard a guess.

They don't have a direct relationship.

Pricing is evil though.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I'm not surprised by the price. When I was reading other threads and people were posting that they would only pay $75, I thought it was a bit unrealistic.
The price may go down if TomTom doesn't get the sales they're hoping for. Then again, they may offer features that makes their price tag seem like a (relative) bargain.

applehappy

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
Get a grip on price!

I think there are some dreamers in here. There is no reason the app will cost more than navigon, but the car mount is going to be big bucks compared to others. It's a pretty complex piece really, consider what a bluetooth handsfree device costs, then a line out for Iphone to aux in, then a charger for iPhone, then a standalone GPS receiver (plus maybe other enhancements, like gyro). This is NOT a $20 - $30 car mount. I'm thinking it will cost close to what the app costs. :eek: Those looking for the norm can buy just TOMTOM app for a competitive price I'm sure.

speed12

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
Absolutely, I personally think £115 for the two (software and holder) is very reasonable value. Tom Tom Navigator 7 for PDA's is around £80 for the European mapping version. Add on a car mount of say £15-20 and your only £15 off the iPhone price. And as some PDA's wot have a gps on board, then it would be at least another £30 for a Bluetooth gps receiver. So the iPhone kit with software, car holder, external GPS receiver, bluetooth handsfree kit, audio interface, car charger and external speaker really isn't bad at all for £115.

This I jus another case of iPhone users thinking that they deserve somethig cheaper than everyone else just because they use an iPhone, same as the hassle when the 3gs was launched.

whild

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2009
I've had the Navigon software for about a month now - and it's just short of being perfect. The iPhone has NOT ONCE dropped the GPS signal while using the software - infact it picks up the GPS signal in about 20-30 seconds which is faster than my old standalone TomTom. Why do people keep saying the iPhone GPS chip isn't good enough? I've literally driven about 1,000 miles without it dropping ONCE!!! There's absolutely no good reason to waste so much money on the TomTom cradle.

applehappy

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
I've had the Navigon software for about a month now - and it's just short of being perfect. The iPhone has NOT ONCE dropped the GPS signal while using the software - infact it picks up the GPS signal in about 20-30 seconds which is faster than my old standalone TomTom. Why do people keep saying the iPhone GPS chip isn't good enough? I've literally driven about 1,000 miles without it dropping ONCE!!! There's absolutely no good reason to waste so much money on the TomTom cradle.

Uh, what if I am looking for a charger, a handsfree calling device, an aux out, and a nav app?

whild

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2009
Simple. I have a handsfree bluetooth module on my windscreen (very small and works perfectly) - Navigon app (doh), I charge from the cigarette lighter which is how a TomTom cradle would connect anyhow (it has to draw power from somewhere!), and if I want I can connect my iPhone directly to the car stereo aux to play music! So, no need for a cradle! Infact I can connect the iPhone to my Panasonic Car CD Player and it will also charge the phone from there as well as play music. The only advantage I can see of the TomTom cradle is that it has Bluetooth Handsfree built in - HOWEVER, my current TomTom Bluetooth Handsfree is shockingly bad as it picks up ambient noise - the little windscreen solar-powered Bluetooth set I use is far far better.

JonB3Z

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
If I remember correctly, the 50-code limitation was for "promo codes", I'm sure there's another way to get a "redemption code" for Apps....especially for companies releasing specific iPhone Accessories

Or just include in the hardware package a standard iTunes "gift card" code for the same amount as the app is priced. Now that the iPhone includes the ability to redeem card codes, you would be all set.

JonB3Z

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Then again, they may offer features that makes their price tag seem like a (relative) bargain.

Yes, it may make sense to wait until we know the specific features of the hardware/software product before deciding what price is acceptable!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.