UK rMB Store Supply

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by achinery, Jul 10, 2012.

1. achinery, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012

achinery macrumors newbie

Hey all,

edit: this accidentally posted before I'd typed even half of it, sorry if you saw an early version (and that I missed a 'P' in the subject...)

Apologies if you are tried of questions like this, but information is hard to find. Does anyone have any information about the supply chain for Apple stores? I am looking for a rMBP and I would just order one online, I'm happy to wait my turn... but I am going away for a couple of weeks next week so I'd really like to get one before that.

The stores won't give out information about when they get deliveries. That's fine, and I've been calling once a day for about a week now. Given that none have come in, I'm not too worried that I should be calling more often. I once called at about 11am and got told "we've got a delivery coming in now so call back in 40mins", so since then I've been calling at about 11:45-noon, assuming that'll be after the morning delivery. If anyone thinks I should change strategy then I'm interested to hear it! And maybe other people who are trying will find that information useful.

What does interest me is whether all the stores get the same stock each delivery. I'm located in Bath, and there are 3 stores within driving distance. I've just been calling the Bath store, but is it possible that a Bristol one will get a shipment and the Bath one won't? I assume that this is the same situation around the country right? If someone tells me that they're sitting on a pile of them in Cardiff then I'll just jump on a train, not a particularly high expense compared to the cost of the device. But I really don't want to have to sit through that phone menu system more times than I have to!

Any advice? Is the stock so dried up that I might as well just give up on getting one before I go away and order it online?

Good luck to anyone else trying...!
    Andy

2. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

The online wait is about 5 weeks now, from what others seem to be saying. There's the possibility it will arrive early, but probably not more than a week early if other stories are anything to go by. If you order online, you'll likely be back from your trip well before it arrives. My suggestion would be to order online and then keep trying the stores. If one arrives, buy it on the spot and cancel your online order. Best of both worlds!

3. MrManwelo macrumors member

i was in bristol cabot circus and cribs causeway 2 weeks ago and both had plenty of stock of both models.
    I was at the London regent street store on Thursday and they too had stock.

I think they are relatively easy to find in the stores now. I received mine today after a 3 week wait, but if it wasn't for the student discount, quidco and 3 year warranty you get online, i would have bought instore.

4. achinery thread starter macrumors newbie

Huh! They certainly didn't have any at Cabot Circus when I called yesterday, but I couldn't get through to Cribs Causeway. Either way I am genuinely tempted to make a day trip to London before the end of the week if nothing comes in. I'll call the Bristol stores again tomorrow, thanks!

Yeah I'd be getting it online if I didn't want to take it away with me. Luckily they'll do the student discount in store, but I'm going to have to shell out for the warranty.

5. achinery thread starter macrumors newbie

Impressed that the Cribbs Causeway store is open until 9pm! Alas, just gave them a call, and no stock.

6. josh bear macrumors regular

Hi

Keep calling around. It will work. I called Westfield. Convent garden. Regent street. And Reading everyday for about a week and a half. Reading received a delivery and I went in to pick up. Stock is arriving. The staff just don't get a heads up.
    Good luck.
    Josh

7. walker85 macrumors newbie

Got mine from

From Bath apple store today give it a try

8. achinery thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much walker85! Having read your message I went straight there this morning. I tried to call but the phone system said they were still shut. Asked the guy in the shop and his initial response was "no, I don't think we've had any in", but then after a few minutes of talking to staff across the room on the little microphone someone gave him the thumbs up. Apparently they had 10 come in yesterday. Now a proud owner!

So I guess the lesson is that for anyone trying... occasionally ask the rep if they are sure when they say "sorry haven't had any come in"? :-\

9. Dangerous Theory, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012

Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Congrats! I won't be able to afford one until around the time I start uni in October, but I hope Bristol do have plenty of stock by then.

Actually, I don't think you can get student discount in store, will probably have to buy online?

10. MrManwelo macrumors member

Nice. The screen is pretty, isn't it!

11. walker85 macrumors newbie

I got mine with student discount in the bath store-My mate was kind enough to pretend it was for him (wouldnt wish that on anyone ha ha)

----------

No worries at all anything is easier then going to london -Glad you got one -I love mine,my first Mac but it its like having a child i am so protective of it -My wife does my head in if i have to tell her not to touch the screen one more time i may have to chop her hands off ha ha

12. theAXEDhead macrumors member

13. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Oh right cheers, don't know why I thought they didn't do discounts instore. That'll bump the price down to £1528 for me then, much more affordable. Can't wait!

(just gotta work solidly for two months so I can afford that beauty!)

14. achinery thread starter macrumors newbie

It's gorgeous :). My first Mac, still getting used to OS X but the hardware is just unparalleled. Even the keyboard just feels so nice to type on. I've also got to find what to spend my £70 of credit on! Are the iWork apps worth going for?

Yeah they do the discount in the store, but not the extended warranty that you get online. Online you get 3 years warranty 1 year phone support, in store it'll be 1 year warranty 90 days phone unless you buy AppleCare (which is 3 years both). AppleCare is discounted to make up for it, I think it cost me about £180? Still a lot, but probably worth doing. And worth it to not have to wait the extra time to get it online, since I really needed it before the weekend!

There's more info here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1103022

15. TibookAktive macrumors member

They are really nice actually. I bought them as more of a curiosity than anything else, but now even though I have MS Word & Excel for 2010 for mac, I never use them Pages and Numbers are my goto apps. So easy to use and really is WYSIWYG none of the messing around with tabs and little ruler items to get your layout to look like you want (I'm talking about you, Word!). Easy export options to PDF and DOC. Not bad for £13.99 each (in UK).

Richard.

16. MrManwelo macrumors member

Although personally, I'd hold fire. the iWork package has not been updated since 2009, and a new Retina friendly one is just around the corner I think...

17. TibookAktive macrumors member

Good point actually.

18. deerfaced macrumors regular

John Lewis have loads in apparently.

My mate just ordered one, 4 days to deliver.

(base unit mind)

19. prfrma macrumors regular

20. moxxey macrumors regular

Why not just go in to Farpoint? They had some rMBPs in last week. Plus you can easily buy one online. I bought mine from Amazon.co.uk a couple of weeks ago and I know Cancom had some in stock yesterday:

http://www.cancomuk.com/product/76559/MC975B-A/Apple-MacBook-Pro-15%22-Retina-Display-2-3GHz-Quad-Core-Intel-i7-(-Turbo-Boost-upto-3-3GHz-)-8GB

You spent longer writing your post than you did searching online!