Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Okay, so this is not a MacBook, but I am asking this in the hope that someone can advise me where I stand.

I bought a Samsung laptop from a local store recently - brand new - for £349. Here is where I find my issues:

1/ Their site advertises that the machine uses DDR2 memory, when in fact it uses DDR3 memory (it even says so on the motherboard!). Part of the reason I bought it was because I can get some spare DDR2 for nothing... and now I can't upgrade the memory, and the spare I can get is no good

2/ The battery life lasts 2:10 hours, when Samsung say 3-4 hours - I was running it on Ubuntu, but have re-installed Win 7, set the power to "battery saving" and then ran "passmark" battery test.

3/ The built-in webcam is advertised as "0.3Mp", when in fact the webcam is "1.3Mp". Not a problem as such, but still misleading

My point is this - the store website advertised the Samsung as having DDR2 memory, which is completely misleading and false information. As such, I wish to reject the goods under my UK statutory rights, as "not as described", which is wholly true.

Please would someone (UK people only please) confirm that I am completely within my rights to do so, as this has caused me inconvenience, based upon an upgrade I thought I would be able to perform, but now cannot.

Thanks guys

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
If you bought it in-store I don't think what there website says will matter: you had the opportunity to examine the item at the point of purchase. So I'd say no, you do not have the right to reject it.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
If you bought it in-store I don't think what there website says will matter: you had the opportunity to examine the item at the point of purchase. So I'd say no, you do not have the right to reject it.

Wrong. The website represents what they sell in the store AND online. Also, Argos are box shifters, and don't have display models. The site says DDR2 and the actual memory is DDR3 - what part of that is not false information, no matter what the reason? Rights are rights, no?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Wrong. The website represents what they sell in the store AND online. Also, Argos are box shifters, and don't have display models. The site says DDR2 and the actual memory is DDR3 - what part of that is not false information, no matter what the reason? Rights are rights, no?

If you are so damned sure why ask the question?

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Check in the Catalogue, it's probably because Argos don't release new catalogues that often and the old product was replaced (by the manufacturer) with this new model. Take it back and explain to them that's its not the same model as was in the catalogue and they should give you a refund.

Only buying over the phone / internet / remotely do you have a distance selling act that gives you a 7 day 'cooling off period' for any products bought.

Edit -----

Though thinking about it, might as well keep the better machine, ebay the old memory and put it to some DDR3 Crucial 2GB module is only 25 quid. http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT25664BC1339

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008

Would you mind not using profanity to make your point, thank you. I am asking for people to confirm my thoughts, and one single person does not constitute an overall opinion. I am sure you are wrong in thinking that their site has no relation to their product, but since I now don't find any value in your opinion, due to your thinking that swearing is going to reinforce or validate it, I shall just wait for the replies of others, but thank you anyhow.

Check in the Catalogue, it's probably because Argos don't release new catalogues that often and the old product was replaced (by the manufacturer) with this new model. Take it back and explain to them that's its not the same model as was in the catalogue and they should give you a refund.

Only buying over the phone / internet / remotely do you have a distance selling act that gives you a 7 day 'cooling off period' for any products bought.

Edit -----

Though thinking about it, might as well keep the better machine, ebay the old memory and put it to some DDR3 Crucial 2GB module is only 25 quid. http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT25664BC1339

£350 is a lot of money for something that isn't as stated, and besides - did you read the part about battery life? It is appallingly low!

Scuby

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
In theory, you should be able to return it because of point 1 - it is a reasonable expectation that all specs listed are accurate when you're buying from a "catalogue" company. However, i don't know where you stand if you've opened it and used it - if it says DDR3 on the box, then it could be argued you should have confirmed that the box was what you were expecting (and you probably broke a seal somewhere saying words to that effect).

Your point 2 is irrelevant, because it is widely acknowledged that battery life is based on a standard set of tests, which may differ from an individual's real-life usage. Point 3 is unlikely to help you either, as while wrong you cannot (i assume) say that the 0.3MP was a factor in your decision when you bought it, and so is irrelevant.

Easiest solution is to call Argos customer services and ask - but, like i said, if you've opened it and activated the Windows license then you may struggle for something like that if it is printed on the box and you didn't read it.

David

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
£350 is a lot of money for something that isn't as stated, and besides - did you read the part about battery life? It is appallingly low!

Apart from the battery, i'm assuming you got a better product than was specified, and to be honest £350 aint a lot for a LAPTOP, i know it's a lot of money in general but still...... you aint gonna get 8 hrs from a £350 laptop. Just saying.

Just give argos customer service a ring, they'll tell you either way....

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
From the Argos terms and conditions...

7.2 Subject to Section 7.1 above, Argos will use reasonable endeavours to verify the accuracy of any information on the site but makes no representation or warranty of any kind express or implied statutory or otherwise regarding the contents or availability of the site or that it will be timely or error-free...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/TermsAndConditions.htm

You can usually get an exchange if they have exaggerated the specs of a product but I've never heard of people returning stuff because it's better than advertised.

Your best bet is to return it and ask the question.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
In theory, you should be able to return it because of point 1 - it is a reasonable expectation that all specs listed are accurate when you're buying from a "catalogue" company. However, i don't know where you stand if you've opened it and used it - if it says DDR3 on the box, then it could be argued you should have confirmed that the box was what you were expecting (and you probably broke a seal somewhere saying words to that effect).

Your point 2 is irrelevant, because it is widely acknowledged that battery life is based on a standard set of tests, which may differ from an individual's real-life usage. Point 3 is unlikely to help you either, as while wrong you cannot (i assume) say that the 0.3MP was a factor in your decision when you bought it, and so is irrelevant.

Easiest solution is to call Argos customer services and ask - but, like i said, if you've opened it and activated the Windows license then you may struggle for something like that if it is printed on the box and you didn't read it.

David

I just went and looked at ALL the exterior labels on the box. Nowhere does it specify the RAM technology or speed, it simply states "2Gb RAM". This is not good enough. I know people are going to tell me that DDR3 is better, but my point is that I would now have to spend money which I didn't have to spend, basing my purchase decision on the Argos website, as it specifies DDR2, which I can get for nothing. I do not have ANY extra money, what with Christmas etc, to purchase a further 2Gb stick.

Bottom line is that they have written up the spec incorrectly. Indisputable. Argos' own T&C don't nullify statutory rights.

Apart from the battery, i'm assuming you got a better product than was specified, and to be honest £350 aint a lot for a LAPTOP, i know it's a lot of money in general but still...... you aint gonna get 8 hrs from a £350 laptop. Just saying.

Just give argos customer service a ring, they'll tell you either way....

It is a lot of money when you only have just enough for the machine, and are living off benefits. I never expected to get 8 hours from the battery, but I did expect the battery to meet the 3-3.75 hours quoted in the majority of reviews. I have a friend who repairs laptops for his business on a daily basis, and he says that his Samsung netbook has the same size & rating as this 15.6" laptop!

To re-iterate, my battery test was carried out while doing light web surfing, LED backlight @ 50% and with the power set to "maximum battery" (or words to the same effect). The battery was thoroughly conditioned, discharging fully and recharging fully IMMEDIATELY it was purchased. Also, the batterys' charged capacity is markedly less than on any specs.

Find attached a screenshot of the passmark battery info:

Attachments

• Battery.png
    Battery.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Wait till after christmas then, the computer will still work without the extra ram...

Contact Argos.... best bet.

I think everything else has been covered.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

Jeebus no kidding. OP, why did you ask a question just to say that anyone who disagrees is wrong:rolleyes:

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Wait till after christmas then, the computer will still work without the extra ram...

Contact Argos.... best bet.

I think everything else has been covered.

What does Christmas have to do with it?

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Your not really winning people over here into wanting to help you....

Sorry, but I am confused as to what you mean about Christmas - what does that have to do with it? I'm not being difficult, I am asking...

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Sorry, but I am confused as to what you mean about Christmas - what does that have to do with it? I'm not being difficult, I am asking...

You said before your constant editing of posts making it really difficult to follow you, you had no money left because of christmas....

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Thanks to all. Have put this issue to bed now. Spoke to local store manager who has agreed to refund me, very polite and jolly chap :)

I was just worrying too much, when I usually don't at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.