UK Siri voice

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Neiloid, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Neiloid macrumors member

Anyone else missing the Siri voice of old? I am, since the iOS7 update I now have a bloke with a cold living in my phone. My wife's phone updated automatically after her ipad was updated to iOS7 and she still has the old voice which is both weird and annoying.

Anyone else suffering?

2. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

My UK Siri voice is the same "Cary Grant" impersonator I had on iOS6.
    Hasn't changed for me

3. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I'm in the UK and use the American female voice. I prefer it and actually find her more helpful than the UK bloke.

4. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

How do you change the voice then?! I have the standard male Siri voice and he sounds very very muffled - almost to the point where I have to listen really hard at his answers!

I thought that if you changed the language, it would mean also changing the way certain things are displayed (i.e. the date format)

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Settings/general/siri
    Change the language to US and then select the female voice in the menu below. It changes nothing on your phone except siri.

6. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

Ok cool - thought it would change the other stuff as well so cheers for confirming ;)

7. Neiloid thread starter macrumors member

Think yourself lucky, the new voice is awful and mainly incomprehensible. Wish there was a way to get Cary back - I use the American female voice but it's not the same.

8. Neiloid thread starter macrumors member

Good news

Cary Grant is back !

Don't know how it happened but with no notification the voice reverted to the Siri of old and I had it set for American female so that was a double shock.

I don't care about any other iOS7 foibles if they leave Siri voices alone in future.

:)

9. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

it just reverted?? ...did you install the 7.0.2 update? Perhaps that's what did it? ...although, I do recall, during the betas, that, (here in the US, on my iPhone 5), I would set it for the new Male voice, but sometimes it would revert back to the female (mostly in Maps).

10. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

The UK voice on my iPhone 5s is like it's faulty.

On my iPad the same voice is fine.

Both iOS 7

Strange!

11. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

If we change to US English does that mean it is listening for an American accent from the user?

12. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

Strange my mates iphone 5 running iOS 7 is fine, as is my iPad.

It's only my 5s wig the issue.

Are you all using the 5s?

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Give it a try, you can always switch back ;-)
    I have an English accent and the US female voice seems to understand my questions better than the English chap. Go figure!

14. sb22 macrumors 6502

sb22

When I updated to ios7 I had the muffled voice. I double checked against my hubbys iphone 5 on ios6 and Siri was far clearer.

However I was told, and it worked, that eventually the updated Siri is downloaded to the phone over wifi in the background and kicks in after a few days. This worked for me.

15. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

16. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I'm in the US and Siri has become painfully slow. To the point that I've again stopped using it.

17. Neiloid thread starter macrumors member

I'm using a 4S and all good now, when I was using American English female I got a lot of "I'm sorry, I can't take any requests right now, please try again later but I'm not getting that now I'm back with UK male and he is clear as a bell.

The two things probably aren't related mind and American female had no trouble understanding my English accent.