UK: Starbucks Egg Nog Latte

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nomad01, Nov 5, 2008.

1. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

One thing I love about the run up to Christmas is ending my late night shopping with a trip to Starbucks and a hot Egg Nog Latte.

Just found out that it's not for sale this year! I am GUTTED!! :(

Anyone else gonna miss this?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

3. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

What!?

No Egg Nog? :eek: :(
    It's a bit of a Christmas shopping tradition for me too…

4. yrsonicdeath macrumors 6502

An egg nog latte sounds awful to me. I can't stand egg nog, but for some reason I'm crazy about the Silk soy variety. I think it's because it's not so thick and artery clogging.

5. nomad01 thread starter macrumors 68000

nomad01

I tried making egg nog and I even bought some in a can a couple of years back and I didn't like it.

For some reason, mixed with a coffee, it just works for me. Love the spices. Like Christmas in a cup! Not any more though!! :( :mad:

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think adding coffee to it would make me feel sickerer.

7. yrsonicdeath macrumors 6502

My parents have made egg nog every year for as long as I can remember. I have never tried it though because the thought of it really makes me ill. It looks even less appetizing than the store bought i

I think gin tastes like Christmas in a cup.

I totally agree. I worked in a coffee place when I was in high school part of college and I'm pretty sure we offered an egg nog latte of some kind and even if it was free I still wouldn't touch it. I made quite a few of them and I can vouge for the smell of them not being anywhere near appetizing to me. Although I could see how the Starbucks one would probably be better than where I worked.

Maybe if someone I know gets one I'd try it just out of curiosity.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've had it and as someone who likes egg nog, I have to say the latte was disgusting.

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

10. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Me neither. Bring on the Gingerbread Latte!

11. nomad01 thread starter macrumors 68000

nomad01

Well, I don't like Egg Nog either so until you try the latte, you can't say.. unless you don't like coffee either, in which case what the hell are you even doing here!?!? ;) :D

LOL I'd disagree there... but gin can make every day like Christmas. ;)

It's obviously not been that popular over here but if you like christmas spices, you'd might like it. It just tastes like a spicy, slightly thicker, creamier latte. It's not got an egg flavour at all (home made variety DID taste eggy).

JUST tried my first gingerbread latte... not impressed. Think it had been made with skimmed milk so tasted a bit wishy washy but it just reconfirmed that I don't like ginger! :(

12. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Any specific reason they aren't offering it?

I just noticed it on the menu board today (in the US), so there must be a specific reason that they aren't offering it in the UK (or maybe it's an EU thing).

Personally, I don't care for them or the gingerbread latte. The Peppermint Mocha is my holiday treat, but I only indulge in them after Thanksgiving. I think Early November is a bit too early for holiday decor/music/etc.

If you're all about the holiday spices, maybe try the Chai and add some more nutmeg and cinnamon to it at the condiment stand.

13. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

Wow really people? Eggnog is delicious, gingerbread stuff is delicious. Stop being so fricken picky and just enjoy the sweet sweet holiday goodness :p

14. nomad01 thread starter macrumors 68000

nomad01

I think it scares people in the UK so they either don't try it or don't like it. Egg Nog is a bit of a rarity of here compared to the US.

It5's been on the menu for about 4 or 5 years over here though so it's a bit odd that they dropped it this year. :(

I'll have to give the Toffee Nut Latte a whirl for a change.

I'm not a fan of Chai unfortunately.

I agree about it being a bit early but alas, I'm aready starting my christmas shopping. Determined to be early for once!

15. Stepper macrumors regular

Every flavour mentioned in here makes me feel sick lol :p

I think i've only ever drank one cup of coffee in my life...I don't get what all the hype about coffee is...What other kinds of coffee do they sell in starbucks? I wanna try something new in my life ;)

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Calm down tiger. :eek: Egg nog, to many, is quite vile. I happen to like it, but I simply didn't like the latte. I'm well past my prime for foo-foo drinks anyway. they're now a one-off thing when I'm craving something very sweet.

17. yrsonicdeath macrumors 6502

I'm all about the Chai. I can't remember a time when I went to Starbucks and didn't get that. This is a good suggestion and I may try it!

I never said I wasn't open to trying it. I just don't think it sounds great. Gingerbread on the other hand does sound yummy.

18. nomad01 thread starter macrumors 68000

nomad01

Past your prime for foo-foo drinks?? What else would anyone go into Starbucks for? :)

They can't make espresso worth a damn. :(

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I can't imagine hot eggnog, not at all. :eek:

Perhaps they took it off the menu due to all the retching going on. :p

Now give me a good, well seasoned eggnog, with some Appleton's Estate rum in it and we'll talk about it. :D

20. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I have a suspicion what most people in the US (UK even) think of as eggnog is actually just sickeningly sweet bastardised custard… blegh.

Oh yes indeed… yummm. :D

21. nomad01 thread starter macrumors 68000

nomad01

Now I'm retching! :(

22. yrsonicdeath macrumors 6502

Agreed. If I want anything besides a "foo-foo drink" I'll just make it at home.

23. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Well there's your problem, you had it from a can! Yuck! I LOVE eggnog, but you gotta wait till the refrigerated stuff comes out. Im not sure what brands you have over there, so you might have to try a few cause their all different, some are better then others.

24. nomad01 thread starter macrumors 68000

nomad01

Well there's my problem... only place I can get it from a can! And that was imported from the US. We just don't get egg nog over here. :(

25. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Starbucks just opened its first store here in Portugal. It's not going to be very successful if they can't make good expresso. Everyone here drinks expresso.