UK store update - come have a laugh at us USA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dan0903, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Dan0903 macrumors member

Uk store has the macbook air priced at £1200 for the BASE MODEL
    For my american apple'rs, thats $2361 !!!!!

and the SOLID STATE drive version retails for £2028, thats $4010

thats what loyal Uk users get for not living in america...cheers steve :confused:

also, another £100 buys you a MBP.

2. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Wow at least that's not expensive or anything.

/sarcasm

3. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Yeah it's bloody crazy,

Here in the UK, if i convert it - I spent over $3,300 on my 2 week old MBP!

LOL THATS CRAZY!

4. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Like it matters. No one was buying it anyway - rip off Britain conversion prices just helped to make sure.

5. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

I can't wait for my new Penryn MacBook Pro!

Oh wait, they buggered it up didn't they?

:eek:

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Apple's in it for the money, nothing else. Sometimes it takes extra-high pricing for people to remember that. They're no different from Microsoft, Dell, or any other manufacturer.

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

It's worth remembering that the Apple Store UK prices include VAT, the US Store doesn't include Sales tax in the price, which varies from State to State.

We do pay more for our Apple gear over here, but taking tax into account does narrow the gap a bit.

8. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

That £1200 includes VAT (is that 17.5% now?) while the US store doesn't include tax. So I would pay an extra 8.75% here making it $1957.

So the difference is $210 pretax, or $400 after tax (so blame the UK government for that), not $560.

9. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

yes I like the air but way overpriced.

Even a hungry gadget lover like me will be staying away from this baby, I really doubt they will sell many in the UK due to price fixing.

I agree with the OP, again the UK is shafted!!!

10. Dan0903 thread starter macrumors member

im aware of tax mate.

all im saying is its criminal that a laptop that has what can only be described as 'bad specs' (im aware its in a smaller box) is double the price of one with much better specs.

as a future MBP owner i was starting to get swayed to the 'air' as the keynote went on.

the minute the price came up..:mad:

jog on steve, bring me an updated MBP like a good lad.

11. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Actualy, to be a fair comparison you need to add 17.5% tax to the US price which brings it in at... $2,115. Plus the dollar is in the tank right now which is going to make any US/UK difference that much worse for the UK. Figure a $200 price difference right now isn't actually that bad, and I suspect that there's another cost of doing business in the UK that I've forgotten about.

Of course this makes no difference at all as people will always just look at the headline figures and reach for the exclamation points...

12. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Oh for god's sake... this is an ultraportable, it competes in a different market space to the MBP and, when compared to products in that market it's actually very competitive. It has exceptional specs for an ultraportable and for those that have need of such a machine they ARE WILLING TO PAY MORE FOR A SMALLER, LIGHTER MACHINE THAN ONE WITH MORE POWER! In exactly the same way as you will pay more for a larger screen, faster processor or more storage space they will happily pay for the qualities that they value in a machine. Such values may not match yours and it is for this very reason that companies have products that compete in different market sectors.

13. GAS macrumors regular

The pound is worth $1.96 atm which is better than it was a couple of months ago when it was over $2. I don't see the dollar getting better anytime soon.

14. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I sure wish we had the same online system as the US, where you don't have to pay tax - we only get that luxury if we buy in an airport.

15. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Wrong idea mate. You do pay tax in the US store; it just doesn't show up until you're about to give your card info. Go trial order an MBA; it starts at $1799. Punch in your zip, and you get, on average, $100 more tacked on in taxes. The only thing that's free is the default shipping option.

16. lucky3killer macrumors regular

Except for anyone who from Oregon, Delaware, Alaska, Montana and New Hampshire, if anyone who buy it from Apple store or online on based of their location then sale tax don't charged.

17. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

that only works if the company isn't in your state. If I order from Apple from anywhere in the country I believe I pay sales tax if that state has sales tax. But if I order from a company like Powermax(which is where I am going to be ordering my Mac Pro and 500GB Time Capsule from, eventually) who is in Oregon, they won't charge tax.

18. p33 macrumors member

No, mate,

It's criminal that you can't install OSX on a better laptop, well, at leaas legally ;)

Cheers,
    A

19. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

^^^ what they said.

20. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Okay, that's...5 states. For the other 45, you're going to have to pay tax. Believe me, there are plenty of reasons why buying in the US is nicer than buying abroad, but the tax issue isn't one of them, as 90% of states in the country will tax you for buying online @ the Apple Store.

21. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

...which is why you buy online from somewhere that won't charge tax. What I said in the first place is we can't do that in the UK - vat applies everywhere except airports.

22. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

and hooky street:D

23. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

If you buy it from the Higher Education store then you get it virtually VAT free and they throw in a 3 year warranty aswell.

All you need is access to any University network (through a friend if you're not a current student) and they don't actually check whether you are eligible or not. So long as you order from a Uni network you get the discount.

24. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

If anyone wants one I would be glad to ship to the UK, I have done it for many members here PM me if you want one :)

25. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Well I can't appear to condone that :D