UK Student: Advantageous to purchase MBP online?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nun, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Nun macrumors member

I remember reading somewhere on this forum (can't for the life of me find it again though) that buying student discount MBP online gives you the advantage of a three year extended warrenty whereas buying in store limits you to simply 6 months?

Is there any truth in this or any other advantages (other than being able to customise your laptop) to buying online if you are a UK student?

2. Bibblejw macrumors newbie

Simple answer: No.

The 3 year warranty you mention is the AppleCare, and is available in-store aswell as online. If bought by a student with a Mac, it costs £30-60 (depending on the machine), rather than £150.

All discounts available online are available in-store. I typically go with online because there isn't really a store close to me and the shipping is quick enough not to worry about it.

3. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I posted a guide here- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1103022

Basically, there is a 3 year warranty as standard online (plus full Applecare for ~£45).

In store a 3 year warranty is NOT standard, the £45 Applecare must be purchased.

Don't even believe Apple staff telling you there is a 3 year warranty as standard in store unless you can get it in writing (even then be careful!). There is so much false information going around, hence why I created the thread. Please read it all!

I'm sorry to say this is mostly incorrect. No offence, there is a lot of mis-info about this, UK student discount is complicated!

4. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

You are better buying online through the Education Store, or over the phone. The offers available in store can be different. For example, you may not get the warranty as standard, but you might get a better discount on iWork.

Exact student prices can vary from institution to institution, but iLife tends to be £23 when bought online, or £31 when bought in-store. I have friends in Apple Retail so I need to be careful what I write (for their sake), but I was told that to get the better price I had to go online.

Be prepared to send them proof of student ID via email. I work in education, so I had to send a photocopy of a payslip.

5. Nun thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info :)

Basically, buying online is the way to go.

edit: I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere in your other post but it seems so odd to me that Apple give a different warrenty in-store.

6. wesrk macrumors 6502a

Please read what iStudentUK posted, follow the link and read the thread. He posted a very complete guide and really, other advice on your question from someone that is not as well versed as iStudentUK is, risks giving you false information, not because they want to, but because they don't know as much as what's on the guide.

7. bigjobby macrumors 65816

No its not.
    AppleCare is 3 years warranty + 3 years phone support.
    Student 3 year warranty is 3 year warranty + 1 year phone support.
    EMEA CC-HE contract uplift @£48 upgrades the student warranty to full AppleCare.

Attached Files:

8. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Ah thanks, I'm blushing! :eek:

It explains it in the thread I made. Apple has to offer the 3 year warranty online/phone to HE students (my guess is they don't like it) due to the contract they signed. They don't have to in store and so they don't!

Plus remember warranties are not the be-all-and-end-all. There is very good consumer protection in the UK anyway, certainly worth reading up on.

9. Nun thread starter macrumors member

Also, whats the returns policy for items bought online? If I simply don't like the laptop (I've never used OSX before) can I return it to a shop within 14 days for a re-fund?

Apologies for de-railing the thread but you've been extremely helpful thus far.

10. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

First of all many Apple staff will process returns within 7/14 days because they are nice and want your good faith!

From the T&Cs for HE students here- http://store.apple.com/Catalog/uk/Images/salespolicies_individualHE.html#topic-7

(emphasis added)

Remember these rights are in addition to your statutory rights. Most relevant here would be Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 which apply for 7 days starting the day after delivery.

From Office of Fair Trading- http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft698.pdf

The regulations themselves http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2000/2334/made/data.pdf

This is not legal advice! I do not know how turning on a computer would be interpreted. This information is to help you look further!

11. Nun thread starter macrumors member

Again, I can't thank you enough iStudent. You have been a great help.

12. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

You're welcome.

Remember, my comment about returning is more legally-contracty based. You could talk to Apple, or look for people's experiences on this site etc. Please don't just rely on my comment (I'd hate for you to get stuck with a MBP you don't want!) as I'm not as knowledgeable on that compared to student discount.

Having said that, I'm very jealous if you are getting a new MBP, I can't imagine you not wanting it. They are amazing, and I wish I could afford to replace my white non-unibody MB!

13. Nun thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, just bought it, now to play the waiting game :).

I could only really afford the 13" model being a student but It'll still be much more powerful than the machine I'm currently using.