UK Student discount, anyone know the prices?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrispholt, Jun 8, 2010.

1. chrispholt macrumors regular

Cheddar, UK. Yes where the cheese comes from..
    Hi I am about to buy my first mac, a macbook pro 15" base model with an anti-glare screen. However I am not made out of money and I am about to spend 2+ years of saving on this.

So my question is if anyone (in the UK) knows how much discount I would get if I walked into a :apple:retail store with a letter from my current school stating that I will be going to their sixth form college next year.
    Will this work and do you think I could get a better deal if I called :apple: up and ordered it ( I think you can email the letter to them)

Also, is it true that I would have to have a parent to buy it me as I am not over 18, even if I have a visa card?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I did search on Mroogle but could not find the answer(s).

N.B. I will be obviously going for the further education discount.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

[​IMG]

How to receive the education discount

If you are a student, teacher, lecturer, administrator or other staff member in education you qualify for special discounted pricing on Apple computers, software and select third party products. Quantity limits apply. See terms and conditions.

If you have any questions about the Apple Store for Education or any of our products from Macs to software to printers and others accessories:

Call our local Mac experts on 0800 072 1154

3. chrispholt thread starter macrumors regular

I cannot access the further education pricing.

4. bbnck macrumors 6502

I once called up my local apple retail store and they quoted me around 15% off for further educational discount (but don't quote me on that - results may vary - Apple may have changed their discounting as of now)....but I think you may need to currently be enrolled in College/FE in order to be eligible for discount. Your best bet is to find your local retail store from here: http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/ and contact them from their store telephone number and ask them whether you're eligible. If you are, ask them how much the specific MacBook Pro you're interested in costs with further educational discounting.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

6. chrispholt thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thanks for the info. I think I will go there after my triumph of exams are over :mad:

7. nickjf20 macrumors member

Prices: i7

Hi, dont know if this will help... but i got my:
    base i7 for £1301 with an education and vat discount
    3 year HE-UPLIFT CONTRACT MBP (applecare) for £50
    a remote for £14
    and my free printer :)

if you google different universities and look on forums, there are links which will put you in the cambridge/birmingham... e.t.c uni apple store.
    I can't remember the links. but theyre something like store.apple.com/987698769 (im guessing the numbers denote the university:apple:)

We didnt have to prove anything over the education. We just phoned apple, and the guy seemed keen for a sale:D

Im still waiting on my promised free ipod touch :(

8. chrispholt thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but am I correct in think that I could get the college discount with an acceptance letter? Like in-store or try to convince the person on the phone.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

9. chrispholt thread starter macrumors regular

Wow! You got a lot of discount. However I cant go for Higher education discount. I think my best bet is going to be over the phone

Thanks

10. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I got the base 15" through Student discount through my University and I think it came to £1358.93

That was with a £70 printer which I claimed back the £70 through rebate.

11. Prhymeate macrumors member

The macbook pro discount in the retail stores for HE students is %16.

You can't get the antiglare in store unless it's the high spec i7 model. I ordered the basic 15" macbook pro with high res antiglare screen over the phone, it cost £1392.38 with the HE discount.