UK Student eligibility

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Skyrail, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Skyrail macrumors newbie

I'm seriously thinking of buying a MacBook Pro 13", I can get quite a good deal (13% off) through a site linked with the university applications company here in the UK. There is also another deal that I can hopefully apply for on top of that which is getting up to £145 in rebate if I buy a Macbook and an iPod Touch, thus meaning the cost of the iPod is technically only £20 (if I buy the 8GB one) which is an absolute bargain.

However I'm not sure if I am eligible, the T&C of the offer states: "a full-time or part-time student, aged 18 or over, who is studying at or is accepted into an education establishment" is allowed to 'participate' in this offer. In my case I have applied to university and I've been given conditional offers (i.e. I get in if I get the grades, like the majority of the other applicants in the country), so technically have I been accepted into the 'education establishment' or do I actually have to wait until I get the grades and get in?

This maybe more suitable for those who understand the UK system of universities and such, but any input is welcome. I just want to be absolutely sure because I don't want to buy both if I'm going to be left £145 out of pocket because it's not something I would usually buy, and not something I just have the money to throw at. Thanks in advance :)

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

3. afters macrumors member

I'm assuming you're at college at the moment? If so, then that most likely qualifies you anyway, without even having to mess about with university applications. Other than that, I have heard of people just walking into the apple store and flashing offer letters/ NUS cards etc. and bagging the discount+promos. It should be fine either way.

TBH, if you're that worried, then just wait for mid August (I assume that's when your exam results are released), and subsequently your place at Uni next year confirmed. The iPod deal will still be around, and you'll have the absolute piece of mind if that's what you want.

Oh and good luck with your results/ uni!:D

4. Skyrail thread starter macrumors newbie

Mhm, indeed I am at college at the moment, I'll have to see what I can do in that area. I would walk into an Apple store if I could but there's not one near by (or least within reasonable driving distance).

As for waiting for August that sounds like the best plan if I can't get it just because I'm in college, I hadn't thought about doing that, I just wanted it soon; seeing as I want it for uni however buying it just after my results shouldn't be a problem. Thanks afters, your input is appreciated :)

Oh, on a side note, is there anyway I can contact Apple directly and find out if I'm eligible? Is via phone the only way? I'm more of an email person I have to admit, but I've not seen anything obvious to fire an email off to. If it has to be phone, phone it is :) Thanks again.

5. afters macrumors member

Phone is probably the best way, since you could possibly follow up with further questions if you have any, and resolve everything there and then. You might even be able to order it there and then with the discount, should the rep be OK with giving you the discount and promo.

If it helps, I'm not much of a phone person either.....

6. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

You are definitely eligible at college. If you have a valid NUS card you'll have no problems.