UK Student Loans in - iMac time?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DanPosMaytee, Apr 13, 2012.

1. DanPosMaytee macrumors newbie

I wish they'd hurry up with the release, I really want to wait to see what they're going to bring out. I'd kick myself if I bought one now this money is in my account, but I don't know.

I want to wait but money burns a hole in my pocket, I may have to give the money to a family member to look after lmao.

I keep checking this site every day for any updates :(

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You are going to use your student loans to buy an iMac? Err... shouldn't you spend that on tuition?

3. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

As a student myself I do feel incredibly sorry for students as a whole with all the education finance cuts etc. Tis a tough life! :rolleyes:

So what's the point of this thread anyway? Check the buyers guide and wait. :)

4. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

We get a tuition loan and a maintainance loan in the UK. You can spend the maintenance loan on anything you want. A lot of stupid people blow it all on alcohol etc.

5. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

Crazy the way people get hooked on Products!! you would rather have an Apple product with your student loan than spend it on your real needs? Very sad!! Apple will continue to get rich while you could throw your future away.

THINK ABOUT IS

It's a product dude.

----------

The maintenance loan is to get your through each term, sad but true, yes some spend on drinks silly, and some spend on expensive products, silly again. Would it be better to find a job?? Yes hard to find in uk, but if there are no jobs then why blow £1000 on a mac? especially if you are not working and are a student.

I had a mate this year do the same thing then complain he only had £10 for the whole term!! NO ONE FELT SORRY FOR HIM!!
    HE CHOSE TO KEEP UP WITH THE JONESES SO MUST FACE THE CONSEQUENCES.

He has since said he will never do it again.

6. dayloon macrumors 6502

Sorry but I have to agree. Spending your student loan on an iMac is simply moronic. Wait until you have an income.

7. DanPosMaytee thread starter macrumors newbie

It was only a sort of jokey post to begin with, I thought other students like myself may have thought the same thing aha, obviously not.

Also, it is the last loan before the year finishes in a months time, so I won't need anything. And I wouldn't be spending a £1000, with the discount it is around £880, and in June I turned 21 so will be getting money for my birthday etc.

I need a new computer as my signature suggests so spending around £500-£600 isn't really that big a deal as it will equip me with what I need for University etc.

8. phonitron macrumors member

Ultimately it's nothing to do with me how you spend your money but just a quick question... What are you studying?

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

If its a genuine use for school then I completely understand spending the money.

But if not, as other stated, save it for a rainy day. I know its hard and I used to be the exact same way (wanting every new toy that comes out) but in the end it bites you in the ass and I had to work IT jobs in a war zone for three years to pay off my debts. (I learned my lesson though ;))

10. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If you don't need the loan for living expenses then try you hardest to save as much as you can. £1,000 is a nice thing to leave Uni with, especially towards a rent deposit etc.

Also consider the amount of 'debt' you will come out with. I had £35,000 of loans and a £2,000 overdraft...

11. phonitron macrumors member

I'm not having a go at you here mate but to think that people are leaving Uni with that much debt BEFORE a mortgage is appalling. Our government (and us for letting them get away with it) should be ashamed. I'm all for a contribution to your own education but this level of debt, which has only increased with the recent changes, is a farking disgrace.

12. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Totally agreed.

I was the first year of top up fees, £3,000 per year for Univeristy fees, then add in living expenses etc.

Luckily I came out of Univeristy with a trade and fell into job. I am now free of the O/D and paying a substantial amount back to the Government every month. I feel sort for all those who have this debt and no job. It really is the 'ninja generation' ....

13. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

why don't you try at a company that allows you to lease your mac, and allows you to keep it at the end of the lease for a small sum of cash. i know hardsoft already do it amongst all the apple macs, as well as that, they allow you to keep it at the end for a small price, and also based in the UK. it would spread the cost of your mac if you really want one of them. Otherwise just get a cheap laptop that would satisfy you enough through uni without breaking the bank.

14. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Personally, I am working my way through Uni, doing something that I want to do when I get my degree, but thanks for your advice. ;)

----------

The thing is, unless you NEED a mac for your degree, I really wouldn't buy one if you can't afford it. Students are already living on enough borrowed money as it is. I can't think of anything more stupid than racking up debt while you're still doing your degree.
    Of course I have heard a few horror stories about friends from 6th form taking out numerous student overdrafts (this is illegal so don't do it) and being screwed when they had to pay it off. Another friend got a credit card and was in a right mess. Ruined his degree working at a caterers whilst trying to pay it off.
    There is plenty of time to buy a Mac after, though the student discount is great! And my Uni even paid for Apple care!

Speaking of which, does anyone know if I will get Apple care for free again when I buy the new iMac?

15. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

I disagree with these people saying you would be moronic to spend it on an Mac. I bought my first mac (macbook pro) while attending university. It was actually an item I needed and came in very handy for my work.

(I studied Video games design, I used it for all sorts of design work ranging from programs such as photoshop, 3dsmax and zbrush etc)

I never and to this day do not have a planned overdraft.. temptation is stupid and easily avoidable if you do not have it presented to you. I also never got a credit card to this day still don't even have one even though they bug me about it every time i go in the bank.

Aslong as you are careful with spending etc it should be fine, especially if you get a scholarship (I did, and you get an "excellence Scholarship" if you turn up and get good grades)

I had to travel from Newcastle to middlesbrough everyday to go to uni as living in middlesbrough was not an option (Thats a 1 hour 30 min journey there and then the same coming back so 3 hours travel a day)

I managed fine... I never wasted my money on booze and going out partying.

Edit: Oh and the bonus of buying a mac through the higher education store was that I got discount (obviously) a printer for free using the rebate and a free iPod touch too (although I know this deal no longer exists)

But the most important was that you receive 3 years apple warranty (3 years being the average time someone is at uni for) so I knew i was covered every step of the way while attending Uni.

16. DanPosMaytee thread starter macrumors newbie

I study Film and TV Screenwriting with Creative Writing and my girlfriend studies Film Production so together we're looking into making films together, she supplies the camera I supply the computer as it were.

----------

I wouldn't say I'm careful with my money but I'm not ridiculous, and I need a new computer really bad lol, specwise mine is alright for now but it keeps crashing and stuff.

17. phonitron macrumors member

If you are going to be doing a lot of practical film stuff then a mac may be a wise investment but only you will KNOW if it's going to be a necessity. You've got to weigh up your workload and preferences. For example, I tended to work outside usual hours because of circumstance, so staying back at Uni and using their equipment was simply not an option for me. If however, you're not doing much meaty stuff I'd be inclined to buy the cheapest you can get away with. Just try and be as honest with yourself as possible when thinking about your 'needs'. Also bear in mind that you might need your own camera at some point (just in case things go tits up with your g/f. Hopefully not but you never know).

Do you really NEED it? Can your existing one be fixed/reformatted etc? Is it suitable? Only you will truly know. Put it this way, I'm still using a 2003 15" PowerBook G4. It can't do much but I can still create websites on it and other basic stuff. Yes I have to be a bit more patient with it but I can cope for now.

Good luck in your course and hopefully you can make a wise choice.

18. mrbash macrumors 6502

There is nothing that the Mac does you could not do on a PC. Sure, the experience may not be as nice, but functionally there is no difference.

Using a Mac does not mean that the films you edit will be any better than if they were edited on a PC.

What are the chances that you will be immediately employed once you graduate? Graduating from Uni with debt and no job is a bad idea.

19. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Generally speaking, the creative software you get on Macs is better and is the industry standard. It's the one business where Macs are more popular than PCs.

OP, if you can afford it and still pay your rent and buy food and such then I say do it, especially since you seem to have a valid reason to own the computer.

20. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Take a course in managing your personal finances. (No joke -- probably best thing any student can do!) A loan has to be repaid. It's your money, so use it wisely. If you need a computer, buy it. If you don't, save the money!

21. 0dev, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I see a lot of Americans here talking about how OP is getting into a lot of debt and so on. Do you lot actually understand how student loans in the UK work? It's taken out of your paycheck just like taxes once you get a job that pays over £20,000 until you've paid it all back. The guy's not gonna have repo men come to his house if he spends his maintenance loan on a Mac.

Edit: I should also clarify that student loans are not provided by traditional banks, but by the Student Loan Company. The interest rate is also very competitive. Student debt is also not counted on your credit report. It's not considered to be "bad debt".

22. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

23. DanPosMaytee thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks aha, I was more than likely going to, like I said above, it's also a birthday present with it being my 21st etc. I only posted this because I figured lots of other students would be thinking the same lmao.

I can afford my rent and stuff and food etc, plus going home for the summer.

So it's not a case of if anymore, just when. I wanna get it now but I may as well wait for the inevitable update.

Yeah I agree about the software on macs, of course the same software works on a pc, and with an iMac I get the best of both worlds. So all in all it will be a good purchase.

I just need patience now lol.

24. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

Poor fella comes here for a jovial chat about the next gen iMac and ends up with stern financial advice :p

I'm sure the OP knows the responsibility of a student loan. My personal opinion is IF you can afford to do it, do it, before responsibility and expensive non-student living kicks in.

I am also waiting on the next gen iMacs, albeit not with a student loan, so hang tight - money also burns a hole in my pocket and it's tough :D.

25. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Correction. All debt is bad debt.