Uk Student studying in the US for the next year

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lavezzi, Jul 17, 2008.

  1. Lavezzi macrumors member

    Jul 17, 2008

    I am going to be studying over in the US for a year commencing in September. I have been very interested in a MBP for quite a while now but I decided to delay buying one until the Montevina platform has been rolled out by Apple.

    Since I am going to be in America from September I have thought that it would be stupid to not take advantage of the decent rate of exchange against the Dollar and purchase the laptop over there.

    My question is though, if I have not receieved any formal registration details from my university how strict will Apple be with granting me access to Higher Education discount on my purchase? Has anyone experienced anything similar before?

  2. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502


    Aug 10, 2006
    Mt Brook, AL
    Are you planning on buying your MBP here at an Apple store? If that is the case, you should have some form of university ID or other documentation at that point. All you need at the Apple store is something showing you are enrolled at ac accepted college or university. I was buying a new MB for my son and the manager allowed me the student discount when I showed her my American Express billing statement online with a prominent amount shown as payed to the University of Alabama! My point is, they are fairly easy to deal with as far as documentation of student status goes. Enjoy your time here in America. :D
  3. JamesHume macrumors newbie

    Jul 12, 2008
    For me, I just scanned a letter saying that I was accepted into the uni. Then I scanned my drivers license to prove I was who the letter said I was. That allowed me to get my MBP with the education discount. I later went back, returned my MBP just to purchase it again so that I could get the special deal on the CS3 products. I found the process for getting the license key for CS3 MUCH more difficult than it was getting the discount for my MBP. However I used the same method, acceptance letter and photo ID (that isn't uni related) and it worked flawlessly. I'm a US citizen by the way, however I'm sure it would work for you too.
  4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030


    May 18, 2004
    as stated above; all you need is a copy of your letter of acceptance and some ID to prove who you are
  5. Lavezzi thread starter macrumors member

    Jul 17, 2008

Share This Page