UK (student) updating MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dspalton, Oct 29, 2013.

1. dspalton macrumors 6502a

I'm a (mature) uk student planning on updating my MBA 2008 one to the 2012 13" one - the base model - and with student discount it's very nice pricing.
    I'm with the open uni and noticed a few posts saying about getting 3 year apple care with the student stuff... Can't see anything online about it.

Anyone have any info on it?

Dave

2. stayley macrumors member

For some reason Apple doesn't like for this to be common knowledge, but yes, it is true. You get 3 years warranty (that's practically Apple Care) and 1 year of phone support. They give you the option to do an uplift (for 48 pounds) so that you have 3 years of phone support, but who cares about that.

I confirmed this by calling Apple Care (it took 20 minutes for them to finally admit that) and then in an Apple Retail store.

I was buying and MBA as well :)

What happens is, apparently after some time of receiving the MBA you get an e-mail from Apple confirming this (that's what I read on some other discussion board).

3. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Am I understanding this correctly, you're saying that Apple gives a three year warranty for stuff bought with a (rightful) educational discount?

4. stayley macrumors member

Yes, you essentially get 3 years of Apple Care for free. The only difference is that you only get 1 instead of 3 years phone support that you can pay additional 48 quid for (but I can't really see the point).