UK Students - do NOT go to the Arndale Centre for Leopard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vendettabass, Oct 26, 2007.

1. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

just got home, pretty angry really after I was not allowed to get HE discount in store! Couldn't believe it!

I now have to wait a few days for a copy to be delivered.

NOT a happy bunny at all.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

I thought everyone knew you can't get HE discount in-store.
    I'm sure there was a thread or two about it last week...

3. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Don't worry.. the US Apple Stores don't allow HE purchases either.

5. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

This has been stated MANY times on this forum, Apple doesnt give any educational discounts on software in store.

6. vendettabass thread starter macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

whoops! I should keep a sharper eye out! sorry guys!

Leopard on.. Wednesday.. :'(

7. Karvel macrumors regular

LOL I went there tonight, just didn't bother asking 'cos of the queue. Bit of a bummer then. :(

8. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I got student discount in-store... Admittedly, they didnt like it.

I asked a guy there if the family pack was discounted too like the single user, he asked the staff at the counter, came back and said yes. So, went up to pay, showed my student card... "sorry we dont do discount instore"

I told them that I was told I can get it, and they said ok... but only that time cause I was given false information.

SCORE! Everyone else in the store was then told no Student discounts are available. Whoop... £116 instead of £129.

9. Karvel macrumors regular

Double woah there mate, there's no HE discount on the Family Pack !!

10. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

My friend and I went to the Trafford Centre store today.. His wife is a student and we took her student ID.. he was able to get 10% off leopard and iLife and 13% off any hardware he wanted!.. dont know if this is the same discount as with HE but we were impressed.. no fuss whatsoever even though it wasnt even his card.

11. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

In case you cant see... it says 'Instant Rebate £12.90' TOTAL £116.10

Attached Files:

12. Karvel macrumors regular

Well I apologise. For the HE (i.e. not the student discount), there is no discount available, and I even queried this with the Apple HE for Individuals Store.

13. DaleMassey macrumors member

Student discount in an Apple store?

:(

I bought my iMac for RRP £800, wasn't asked by the staff if i had my student card and then a week or two later the free iPod nano offer was on too.

I missed out on about £90 cash and a £100 iPod nano!

(This makes me feel less guilty about my unlocked iPhone and Leopard UpToDate discs i shouldnt have)

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is how it happened to me as a matter of fact. When I bought Tiger I called the store being very new to Apple myself and just asked if they had it in stock and could I use my student discount. I took the guys name down and said I'd be there in 20. I came in, spoke directly to him as I knew in these forums HE discounts weren't known to be honored in store, and asked for Tiger. He gave me the corporate policy etc. I told him that was excellent but he and I both knew that I called and he said the student discount would be honored. He claimed he thought I was referring to a new machine, again I laughed and called BS because I asked about Tiger for my new PB.

Bottom line is you can probably weasel the discount out of someone if you're smart, but the fact is Apple doesn't actually want to honor HE discounts in store for a very good reason--it prevents erroneous discounts being given to friends and such.

15. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Exactly. I shouldnt of got any discount in any shape or form, but because I somewhat 'abused' the staff members lack of knowledge, It worked out fine.

End of the day, they could of still said, sorry.. no discount. But she was like, "let you off this time"

Aww I love Apple employees

:p;)

16. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Really? None in US brick and mortar? I did not know that. I have never used it as my hardware is usually through the refurb store or third party, and software usually bought for business so I don't try to get the edu disount. But I was told by a Apple store employee over the summer that I could show my School or Military ID for a discount on certain items. I had neither (wasn't enrolled at the time and never been in military) so I didn't use it that day. It was an iPod anyway, and I didn't think they discounted them anymore for edu anyway. I hate to say it, but it wouldn't be the first time that an Apple employee in my city would be grossly misinformed.

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My friends got 10% off of Leopard in-store.

I was amazed they did since they normally don't give in-store discounts on software.

18. WillMak macrumors 6502a

My student discount got me leopard instore for 69 bucks! :D

19. Septimus macrumors newbie

Weird.

I was at the Arndale launch, got HE discount (and more) in store. Admittedly HE staff, not sure if that makes any difference. 20% off MBP, 15% off software, and AppleCare for next to nothing.

20. Karvel macrumors regular

is there an official policy to not honour HE discounts in stores? i mean, it can't be like say "no alcohol to over 18s" because otherwise they wouldn't go "oh yeah, go on then".. are they just discouraged from higher levels not to offer the HE discount in stores?

21. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

i'm thinking of buying a MB soon and was hoping my NUS card would get me discount, sounds like i should ask someone in store about it first just in case.

either way, educational discount can be got from the online store without being asked any questions at all. why doesn't everybody do this? there must be a catch somewhere, i've never bought anything off there so there probably is :rolleyes:

22. MicBook macrumors regular

Ive bought 2 computers ipods and Leopard and gotten HE discounts on all of them in-store

23. matperk macrumors 6502

me too...never had any issue here in apple stores from Las Vegas to Milwaukee....

24. vendettabass thread starter macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

awe noway! I asked the guy on the door giving out the t-shirts :(

25. pizzacake macrumors member

You can get educational discounts in store. The are two levels of educational pricing. If you're buying for your kids or you are a teacher or in Further Education you get the smaller educational discount. If you're studying or faculty at university level you get the greater Higher Education discount. e.g. iMac 24" 2.4GHz education price £1079, higher education price £999. Also HE customers also get free 3 years parts & labour. Open University students are eligible for HE prices as well as bricks & mortar universities. Leopard HE price is £58.75. My sister bought her Macbook and software at the Regent Street Apple Store and got educational discounts.:)