UK supply to be limited?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Badgerguy, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Badgerguy macrumors member

Without wanting to spark off a wave of concern (which is inevitable I guess, but never mind). 'ElectricPig' are reporting that a source has told them that the UK will receive very restricted supplies of the iPhone 3G, particularly the 16GB model - and we may never even get the white version.

This, apparently, is because Apple are unhappy with the level of unlocking that went on in the UK with the first iPhone.

We don't know, of course, how credible their source is - so I'll be reserving judgement on this. It seems incredible that Apple would announce the new product, post specs of it on the Apple UK website -including a full gallery of pictures of the white model- and then never deliver that version, or restrict supply of others.

If this is true, then Apple are risking alienating the huge numbers of customers that weren't interested last time around because of the high price. I think it may be time to start calling O2 stores to find out for myself what the word is.

--
    BG

2. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

No offense to you Badgerguy, but this is such a pathetic rumour.

WHY would Apple limit supply of their brand new product based on previous experiences? What about that would be good business sense?

Apple are going to want to sell as MANY iPhone 3Gs as possible. Wherever it can. The UK is an affluent nation - they'll be piling those phones in as quick as possible.

3. Badgerguy thread starter macrumors member

I agree - I was merely linking to the story, and as I myself said - it seems incredible (ie, not credible!)

It should be noted though that even if supplies are plentiful, there could still be a supply/demand issue to address here. When it comes to the availability of the product on launch day - we still have no clues about when stores will open, or how likely it is that you'll be able to get your hands on the model you want.

This is however, a good reason for O2 asking people to register their interest in the iPhone in advance - O2 by now will have a good idea as to how many people want the product, and how much stock they need to get pushed through their stores to satisfy demand - I'm hopeful for a smooth launch; it will benefit us all :)
    --
    BG

4. danielforman macrumors regular

Plus also there should not be an issue with unlocking the phone for other carriers as you have to sign up for the contract before you leave the store this time and I guess should you wish to terminate you will have to pay a hefty fee to cover the subsidized cost.

Add to the fact that I thought I saw somewhere that Apple had abandoned the revenue sharing model and so will be only getting the income from handset sales. Not 100% on that but I think this is the case.

5. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

What a stupid thing to suggest... i highly doubt that apple would do that...
    now given that it is inevitable you take out a contract there will be no unlocking.. so apples application of past to present would be wrong as they are two different situations - the current one DOES NOT ACCOMODATE FOR UNLOCKING AND SO THEY HAVE TO GIVE IT A FRESH TRY.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Supply/Demand issues: Yes.
    But there is a vast difference between supplies running out and Apple Inc. willfully punishing the bad, naughty UK by withholding supplies. ;)

Even by Apple's standards that would be very immature behaviour.

Selling the iPhone is hard enough… now Apple is going to roll logs into its own path? :p

7. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

I think there'll be plenty around. There'll be queues, there always are, but I don't think anyone will have a problem getting one.

As long as there's a 16GB white one available for an upgrade customer then I'll be happy!

8. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

Every time I've spoken to O2 stores, face to face or on the telephone, they have told me that they are going to have plenty of stock to cover demand. I have been in to the Apple store in Birmingham Bullring and they also confirmed this.

9. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

You can bet that Apple has stuffed the channel with these things. They are expecting a hit.

10. Badgerguy thread starter macrumors member

Have the bullring stores secured an opening time yet? That centre opens at 9.30 normally.

--
    BG

11. Badgerguy thread starter macrumors member

Once again, I should point out that I agree with this opnion - I said as much in my original post when I declared it to be incredible (ie, not credible!).

--
    BG

12. alFR macrumors 68020

Oh, UK supply will be limited all right - but only by how quickly they can physically sell them. It's a bit like those "limited edition" choccy bars, where "limited edition" means "we'll only make as many as we can sell".

13. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Whats the point in posting something here when you dont think its credible info?

14. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

When I spoke to someone in store they said they were optimistic that the Bullring centre would open earlier for them due to the launch of a new product. They have done it before for GAME when new games have been launched (GTA IV for example), and he said he couldn't see it being any different for them. Plus they are closer to the entrance and that means they can just open the main doors closest to the store, and manage security better.

15. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

You are right, this is not credible.

If Apple did this, the amount of revenue they would lose in the first 90 days of iPhone 3G going on sale
    would be unprecedented.

We all know how well V1 sold both in the US and UK last year.
    This years model is set to fly off the shelve.

In my eyes, Apple chose to add a white option to 16GB model line, as an incensive to choose the 16GB model over the 8GB.
    If this was indeed the marketing decision, they are hardly not going to ship the white model to the UK.

I call absolutely 'INSANE' on this rumor.
    And if it's true .. well .. there goes my entire faith in the future of Apple Inc.

R-Fly

16. Igantius macrumors 65816

Although I can’t comment on the reports about O2 stock, CW is going to have far fewer units than it had expected – this was a big shock to the company when it found out 2-3 weeks ago.

17. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

I've spoken with many O2 reps over the past day or so and ALL of them have said that there will be no white version at the time of launch. I've been told that they *may* start to trickle in in a few weeks or a month or two's time. However, my experiences with O2 reps hasn't been that great over the years so I suppose we will have to see. The information I've got so far is that they aint available.

Coupled with what Igantius states above, one could interpret this in a few ways. Either CPW and O2 are limiting supply so that they aren't left with surplus iPhones like the last time, or Apple are limiting supply because they are miffed that the UK is the unlocking capital of the world according to ElectricPig! If I remember correctly, Apple were revenue sharing so this could account for why Apple would be miffed especially if they only got income from only 15% of the iPhones sold after April.

Interesting...

18. Kerching macrumors member

Or they have more territories to supply this time around, and have to share out what limited production they do have amongst them all, which i think is more likely than Apple 'punishing' the UK. After all it makes little commercial sense to cut off their nose to spite their face.

19. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

As there is now no potential to unlock as you have to sign up for a contract, this shouldn't be an issue anymore.
    Also, remember, Aple hasn't been selling any iPHones for a month now. They've got a month of building up stock to get ready for this, I think there'll be plenty.

20. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

More territories is another good point.
    But, aren't Apple punishing Rogers in Canada?

21. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Potentially, but then they may have just lowered stock to Canada, anticipating that the ludicrously high rates Rogers was setting would change the forecast levels of sales, so shifted units around accordingly.

22. Project macrumors 68020

If Apple are no longer revenue sharing, then the unlocking thing makes no sense. It would be in Apples interest to move as many units as possible, O2 or otherwise.

23. zeasar macrumors regular

zeasar

Thing is, if the Apple "punching" Rogers thing is true, then the same can be said to O2 because O2 is screwing the customers by holding (back) onto the PAYG option. And Apple is diverting stocks to else where due to that fact because demand will dramatically lower then if the PAYG was to be available with launch.

edited typo.

24. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Now you have to admit that what you just wrote there is pure speculation… and I mean not even based on a remote possibilty. ;)

Apple is witholding stock to O2 because O2 is slow in releasing a PAYG option?

That takes some brass cojones and even SJ at his most deluded would be mad to play that kind of game.
    Look at the big picture. Who has most to lose?
    Apple cannot afford to have unhappy partners (in crime).

There is no conspiracy here. Just Apple trying to spread their stock out across 20+ simultaneous launch countries.

25. zeasar macrumors regular

zeasar

My speculation holds as much water as the Roger's speculation. If you were to believe that one.

The only main difference is that the Rogers plans made bigger news then the O2 PAYG holdups on the tech news online.

Edit: my last post should have read: holding back on the PAYG option...