UK T-Mobile cheap data - anyone done this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JulianL, Apr 10, 2011.

1. JulianL macrumors 65816

I use my iPhone mostly as a PDA that happens to have a phone included for emergencies so I hardly make any calls on it and even for data all I need is a connection so that when I fire up iBooks or my contacts or calendar there is a connection to sync over that won't cost me something like £1 a day at PAYG data charges.

When I got my iPhone 4 on launch day I went with an Orange PAYG handset because that gave me 250MB/month of free internet for the first year and so far my total running costs for my phone this year have been a £20 topup. I'm now beginning to wonder what to do if I'm underwhelmed by the iPhone 5 and decide to keep my iPhone 4 for another year and I found this from T-Mobile: http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/pay-as-you-go/i-phone-4-micro-sim-payg/voice-reward/extras/

I was already aware of T-Mobile's £20 PAYG topup that gives 6-months internet usage but the link I posted seems to be saying that they're throwing in a year's worth of internet just for purchasing a £10 topup at time of SIM purchase, i.e. for £15 I get a card with £10 of call/text allowance pre-loaded and my internet booster enabled for 12 months.

This looks a really great deal, almost too good to be true vs the competition. Has anyone bought this product and is it as good as it looks? Is there anything else comparable out there in the PAYG world at the moment?

- Julian

2. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    that is a brilliant deal indeed!
    shame my phone is locked to the awful 3 network

when the IP5 drops - im heading to 02

3. seble macrumors 6502a

Is their network bad? What about customer service? I was thinking of moving there after my t mobile plan finishes... It's an awesome plan but it won't last forever :(

4. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i would not wish three on my worst enemy - yes they offer an appealing and competitive prices, but there customer services suck - and they take their sweet time to resolve issues

5. seble macrumors 6502a

Guess I'll stick with Tmobile then. What is the speed of their network like though?

6. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

T-Mobile is now owned by Everything Everywhere who happens to be Orange. :)

7. elan123 macrumors 6502

you know what they say... opinions are like... :)

8. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

Since iv got my iphOne 4 I have used three micronpay as you go sim.

I can top up £5 a month and use this for 2gb Internet allowance.

Their sErvice Is excellent, hardly any issues and if heir are they are resOlved efficiently.

I got an orange pay as you go sim Only for the 2 for 1 offer. Their customer service is appualing. Terrible took more then 2 days to port my Old O2 contract sim which I have discontinued.

O2: they are ok...can be expensive...
    Orange and t mobile: rubbish rip off
    Three: voted best for iphOne theirs a reason for that.
    Only company for all you can eat Internet data no fair use policy like other companies.

9. crashnburn macrumors 6502

I plan to visit the UK / Germany & Few more European countries.. this summer.

What would be the best Pay as You go Deal.. for lot of Data Access?

10. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

They own Three also.

(BTW Tewwy Tibbs ftw)

11. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

o rly? didnt know that! fank you an good nite!

12. liketom, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

liketom macrumors 601

liketom

13. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8H7)

Three aren't owned by everything everywhere. They mast share with ee that's all.

14. 3rd Doctor macrumors member

Giff gaff have the best deals for sim only, £10 a month for unlimited texts and internet with 250 minutes. You can switch to payg anytime, just dont buy a 'goody bag' when your monthly one runs out.

Calls and texts are cheaper than standard payg, 4p for a text 8p per/min for a phone call. Free calls and texts to other giff gaff users.

They use the O2 network so coverage is good.

http://giffgaff.com/index/offer