UK - The Cloud Wifi - range?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Monty Pavement, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Monty Pavement macrumors regular

Anyone in the UK currently use the Cloud who can tell me the average range of one of it's hotspots?

There are two Hotspots 0.7 km away from me - I presume this would be too far to get a signal?

Do they have decent range, or do you need to huddle around the hotspot?

And are the Cloud good at expanding the numbers of hotspots - or have they installed all they're going to?

2. Hustle macrumors 6502a

I got one 0.1KM from my house. Its at a pub around the corner. I hope it'll pick it up.

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Its just like a normal wifi installation at home, it'll do the place its at, i.e. bar, club, hotel, bistro, cafe etc and then it'll cover a bit around it too. Its not a big widespread thing that covers half a mile from the hotspot.

It'll suffer from the same problems that a normal wifi network will i.e. too many thick walls will kill the signal.

4. Project macrumors 68020

Not sure but I am going to buy it tomorrow to test it out. You register your MAC address that adds it to their control list and it then becomes available.

5. Project macrumors 68020

Generally yeah, but in bigger cities at least they have a lot of nodes that relay the signal in order to get around that kind of thing. The City has basically blanket coverage for instance.

6. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

7. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Is there such a thing as a coverage map for the whole of the U.K.?

All I can find is a list of establishments in a particular location that have Cloud's equipment installed, which isn't very helpful at all.

8. robpow macrumors regular

robpow

Not for the whole of the UK but you can search for a hotspot by post code on The Cloud's website and then click on the 'map' link of any of the hotspots in the results, then there's an option to view all hotspots in that area.

Matt

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think they vary. In London in "the square mile" The Cloud have a "mesh" WiFi network, they may have them else where too. Then of course they will have regular WiFi hotspots which probably offer little coverage.

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well, at the gym they have a "Cloud" access point… when it works you can pick it up in the central lounge area — usually filled with mommies and little brats — but in other areas of the gym no signal.