UK Travel Adapter - no ground connection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ripe-vintage, Oct 11, 2014.

1. ripe-vintage, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014

ripe-vintage macrumors newbie

Hi all, I've just got my first Mac; a retina MacBook pro! I have to say, coming from being a windows-only user, it astonishingly intuitive to use and has an outstanding build quality.

But there's one issue; when using the small UK travel adapter, rather than the power-brick's usual lead, I've noticed that it hasn't got any connection between the metal pin of the power-brick and the Earth pin of the travel adapter; unlike the lead which has a visible metal piece which links with the power-brick.

This causes the MacBook, only when I use the non-grounded travel adapter, to have a 'static feel' when I touch the metal case.

I was wondering what is causing this static build-up, and why apple wouldn't connect the travel adaptor to the Earth; I'm assuming it's not dangerous in any way.

Thanks!

2. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

The small piece doesn't have a ground so it can fold in. I don't understand why the extension cable does have a ground while the foldable plug does not. The old iBooks had extension cables without ground.

3. ripe-vintage thread starter macrumors newbie

That makes sense for American chargers, although the UK ones don't fold in.

[​IMG]

4. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Ohh
    I'm confused... That plug has a grounding pin
    Do you mean to say that the plug, although grounded, doesn't have a ground connection to the block?
    It actually does. The silver metal round thing that is used to hold the plug in is also used for grounding. And if you look in the plug there is metal tabs to touch the round mount.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I think that it is intended to protect against the possibility of the mains cable being cut.

Also the UK sockets have a mechanical shield over the Live and Neutral which is moved by the longer ground pin being inserted, so the ground pin is needed even if not electrically connected.

6. Anitramane macrumors 6502

Oh if only the rest of the world could just use the Schuko…

7. ripe-vintage thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, this pin is needed regardless. Looking at the travel adapter compared to the AC cable, there's no connection to the Earth 'pin' thing on the block.