UK Trip - PAYG sim recommendation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LMD75, Jul 13, 2011.

1. LMD75, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

LMD75 macrumors 6502

Just ordered a Gevey Ultra Sim and a sim cutter for my trip to UK in August.

Can anyone recommend a good PAYG network for 3G internet, mobile calls and texts?

I came across 'three - PAYG' and they do 30 days unlimited data, 300 mins, 3000 texts for just 15 GBP.

This seems a little too good to be true - will this work fine with a cut down sim in an iPhone 4?

P.S. Do the UK PAYG sims have the smaller printed circuit board for ease of cutting (I botched a few practice sims using scissors hence why I bought a cutter)?

** UPDATED **

Cancelled sim cutter order as most networks provide a micro sim.

Summary of best networks:

Vodafone:
    300 min, 3000 texts, 500MB web
    £20

Three:
    300 min, 3000 texts, unlimited web
    £15

GiffGaff (Uses O2 network)
    250 min, unlimited texts, unlimited web
    £10 / £15 for 400 mins / £20 for 800 mins

Can't believe how cheap and competitive PAYG has become in the UK. Thanks to all that replied.

2. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

Where did you order your gevey sim from?

Also, do you really need a sim cutter or can you just use scissors?

I'm going to the UK in august as well

3. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

http://www.applenberry.com/ is where you can get the Gevey SIM from. However, I went ahead and ordered one off eBay from the seller Gevey_USA. The seller was recommended by a couple of members in the long Gevey SIM forum posts in the 'iPhone Hacks' section. I had an eBay gift card so I went ahead and ordered one to see if it's the genuine one (the seller claims many times it is the genuine one and he had a good rating, so I'm willing to believe it's the real one, especially since it didn't cost me any money anyway). You can also get a SIM cutter from either Applenberry or eBay. I was going to order one, but I bought a T-Mobile prepaid SIM that's already cut, so I really dont need one, I suppose.

To the OP, I haven't completely researched it so I could be wrong, but maybe whoever carries the iPhone 4 in the UK would have micro SIMs. You may be able to pick one up from them.

4. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Vodafone have got good deals and they have the best 3g coverage in the country. You can order a microsim from here or probably in a Vodafone store.

£10
    100 mins, 300 texts plus 50MB web access
    £15
    200 mins, 600 texts plus 100MB web access
    £20
    300 mins, 3,000 texts plus 500MB web access
    £30
    500 mins, 3,000 texts plus 500MB web access

https://freesim.vodafone.co.uk/orders/add?package_id=5&tracker=58f8dj&keyword=freesim

5. LMD75, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2011

LMD75 thread starter macrumors 6502

I ordered it from an eBay seller "13001r" for just 12.86 GBP delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250843303259

I have done some searching and beleive this seller is genuine as he gets them from ApplenBerry as a wholesaler. Also check out the following YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZWXHG70G4s

I just placed my order a few hours ago so won't know for certain until it arrives.

You can use scissors but the last time I was experimenting I botched a few as the SIM cards with the larger boards are a really tight fit. The cutter was only less than 5 GBP delivered anyway.

Perfect - Many thanks for this. I will get one sent to a relatives UK address and get them to forward it on to me overseas in preparation for trip. Big bonus as its also a microsim.

Thanks also to Chocolatemilty.

6. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Yes i was going to ask if you have someone already here that you could get the sims sent to. :)

7. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Giffgaff (runs on O2's networks) have 250 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data for £10 a month just you need to cut down the sim and order one for a UK address delivery.

8. Legolai macrumors member

vodafone UK are a bit flakey with their 3G coverage, im with them myself.

Three UK do have the better deal, their Data is truly unlimited, and allows tethering using personal hotspot included. :cool:

can order a micro sim from them too.

https://www.three.co.uk/Pay_As_You_Go/Free_SIM/Order

9. whitson macrumors newbie

Giffgaff

I'm on giffgaff (it's a subsidiary of O2). For 10 UK pounds a month you get

• 250 cross network minutes
    • UNLIMITED SMS Texts
    • UNLIMITED Mobile Data (really unlimited, not some 'fair use' bull)

Please drop me a message if you want to know more, or just click the link below to order a sim. And if you catch me on a good day I'll post the sim to you too, so it's ready for your trip.

[​IMG]

10. ZStation macrumors newbie

This.

I wouldn't touch 3 with yours.

You can get a micro SIM from a Vodafone store, so you wasted your money on SIM cutters, etc.

11. LMD75, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

LMD75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Certinfy / Legolai / whitson

Prices have certainly dropped in the UK within the last year and half. There are some good deals there.

12. LMD75 thread starter macrumors 6502

I now know the reason why the SIM cutters sell for peanuts :)

13. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Get the 3 plan you mentioned in the first post. I'm on it, and I have never experienced drop in signal (much better than O2/GiffGaff) and it's very cheap.

14. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Why is the Giffgaff network so damn cheap? If it runs on the o2 network then that's great because the network is pretty good! I might buy the next iPhone sim free and go with that because it's ridiculously cheap!

Honestly I pay 60£ a month now for my phone and insurance and it's way too much for a phone bill!

15. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

3 all the way. 3 is basically designed for smart phones. All 3G.

16. sonymactony macrumors newbie

GiffGaff

+1 for GiffGaff, got a few friends using them, no complaints and cheap.

17. iKennett macrumors 6502

If your looking for something very simple..

TMobile micro sim for the iPhone comes with 512MB of data for the iPhone free each month for 12months (don't even have to top up a min about each month to keep it!). Sim card costs £5 and you must top up with £10.

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/iphone/micro-sim/

18. wilsonlaidlaw macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

3G coverage in the UK is poor

Generally 3G coverage other than in larger towns and cities in the UK is pretty poor. I currently have a UK iPhone 3 on O2 and a French iPhone 3 on Orange. My wife has a Blackberry on Vodafone. None of them get much in the way of 3G coverage out in the country and if you leave the 3G enabled when you are out of 3G coverage, this will cause battery drain, as the phones search for 3G towers in range. The 3G coverage maps from the service providers are a three way split between wishful thinking, fiction and outright lies. My house in the UK is shown as having good coverage on 3G from O2, Vodafone and Orange. We sometimes get some 3G from Vodafone but none at all from either of the others. My daughter who lives about 1/2 a mile away, right in the village (we are on a farm just outside) but about 200 feet higher up from us was persuaded by Vodafone to buy a 3G dongle to get Internet as her copper line is very poor with a sync rate of just 500Kb. She got internet reception about 1 day in 4 and then at an even slower rate than her ADSL. After a lot of argument and having to threaten Vodafone with a report to the government regulator OFCOM, she got a grudging refund. I think the networks spent so much on buying the 3G frequencies from the government, they then could not afford to build/upgrade their infrastructure.

19. Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

It All Depends Where You Are Going

I guess it all depends where you are going..... Don't be blinded by the price ! There is no point in paying for the internet if you can't use it. I live in South East London and 3 and O2 are appalling.

20. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I'll be living in Kensington for 2 months... anyone from that area have recommendations on service providers?

21. wilsonlaidlaw macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

Internet coverage in Kensington

I was using my iPhone O2 internet coverage near Albert Hall in Kensington about a month ago and it was fine (trying to find the nearest Prêt à Manger sandwich bar before going in to a concert).

22. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

23. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

I find Vodafone give amazing coverage... Never had a problem with them however I have with Orange, 3 and O2...

Also Vodafone do offer some pretty good deals on if you top up a PAYG sim you get a bunch of date or SMS included etc.

24. LMD75 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am in the UK now with a Gevey Ultra and active Giffgaff and Three sims.

Where I am located, O2 provides nearly 5mbps download and Three is around 2.5 mbps. However Three just runs alot quicker when browsing and streaming. The O2 network just seems to sit there on Safari for ages when loading pages where it is very fast with Three.

I am running the Gevey Ultra in manual mode and it is working well.

25. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I'm about to order my Gevey Ultra right now!!

I don't think I'm going to get a SIM cutter, just try my luck with the sticker as the guide. So you would recommend Three then for your network?

Thanks for the update. I can't wait to leave for London on the 31st!:D:D