UK unlocked iphone and warranty

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jpasmith, May 19, 2008.

1. jpasmith macrumors newbie

hi UK user here, thinking of buying an unlocked 16gb model, of which there are plenty on ebay, can anyone tell me whether unlocking an iphone/ jilbreaking it will invalidate the apple warranty?

also i will be using t-mobile uk, not the o2 network that is fully set up for internet coverage, therefore wifi will be the main way i use the internet, i am completely new to anything aple (havnt owned an ipod, mac etc), will functions like weather etc auto update as soon as the phone is within wifi range? equally will it sync with my computer wirelessly or only using the usb dock?

fairly basic questions i know but the damn phone just does so much its pretty bewildering!

2. gkerr4 macrumors member

as far as I know - jailbreaking / unlocking DOES breach the warranty conditions - you won't have a waranty from apple if you do this.

it doesn't auto-update on wifi - but will update when you select the app - even if you are not on a wifi network - so be careful or you will encounter some data usage on your contract

sorry - it only sync's on the USB dock - the bluetooth model is very much locked down to headset / car kit only. (Even the hacked ones!)

3. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

Firstly UK iphones that have not been signed up to the iphone specific O2 contract (ie unactivated) are still covered by warranty.
    If you jailbreak/unlock your iphone and in the process screw up the iphones software then most likely you are on your own.
    However if your iphone developes a hardware problem then it will be covered by warranty although it would be safest to restores its software to ex-factory condition before returning it for repair/exchange to avoid any problems.
    The Sale of goods act gives extensive protection to the UK consumer beyond even the one year warranty that Apple give.

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

When I enter my phone serial on Apple.com I get

Our records indicate this product has not been activated. Learn how to activate your iPhone. Please note that warranty service is not dependent on activating your iPhone. For more information, please contact us.

5. b0redom macrumors regular

My 8GB iPhone has recently started giving me problems. It's less than 28 days old. It goes to sleep and refuses to wake up without a hard reset, and the camera has stopped working.

I've just been into the Apple store in Kingston upon Thames, and was told that they couldn't exchange without an activated contract. I just tried to log a call via the Internet, and was told the same. I'm tempted to just wander back into Carphone Whorehouse and demand my money back.

I've even managed to get the power problem to reproduce without a SIM in the phone after a 'restore'.

6. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

They are breaking the law...even Apples online systems confirms that "warranty service is not dependent on activating your iPhone".
    If you thing you can get a refund/replacement from the CPWH then that might be worth trying otherwise I would Contact trading standards for assistance.

7. b0redom macrumors regular

Well they've said I need to arrange for Applecare to collect it. So I've done that - waiting to see what happens with that, but it'll be a PITA to be without a phone for a week or so....

8. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

Can you just buy an O2 prepaid sim, pop it in and say "look I'm an O2 customer."

Basically raise a stink about it. But if it's also less then 30 days old, take it back to where you bought and try that angle. Most places will return or exchange if it's under a certain period of time.

9. MacKick macrumors newbie

Same problem i'm facing with my iPhone 3G, what was the final solution you got?

Hi B0redom,

Even with my new 3G iPhone i'm facing same problem. If i use camera it reboots & some times it goes to sleep and refuses to wake up without a hard reset. i got it from grey market. What did you do? is there any way to fix it or exchange is the only solution?

Can you please reply.
    Thank you.