(UK) Unlocked iPhone + PAYG - The options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheChillPill, Nov 1, 2007.

1. TheChillPill macrumors regular

I've got the opportunity of buying an unlocked iPhone tomorrow, and given that it's unlocked and open to all networks, I'd prefer to make use of a PAYG sim card.

I also travel quite frequently, so would really benefit from being able to use other sim cards - another reason for considering this option now, rather than waiting.

I'm not fussed about visual voicemail, but the web & email functionality is very important (that being the main reason for wanting an iPhone).

I've been trying to determine which network would be best for my needs, specifically unlimited browsing.

Orange I know has Edge, but I haven't been able to find any details of costs or whether they have an unlimited option on PAYG.

o2 have an unlimited option for £7.50 per month, however it's restricted to their 'approved' sites, so I'm not sure it will work properly.

T-Mobile seem to be the best option, £7.50 per month for unlimited data. I've seen conflicting reports about whether their network is Edge enabled or not though.

Does anyone have an iPhone running in the UK on any of these networks? If so, any problems with browsing/email? Any other recommendations?

2. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

I've got a iphone running on a 3 pay n go simcard. Since the iphone is 2g it runs off orange's network so i can take advantage of 3's value for money!

Instead of paying the £7+ a month for the web access why not do what i did and pay £5 a month for web browsing, you get full web browsing access any sites anywhere, it runs off oranges edge network - they have the best coverage. you get a 2gb cap which is hell of alot for a mobile phone!

Set up email via push - ive had many problems with gmail/googlemail and also aol recently so ive set up a .mac account and have forwards to this address which i can now access on my phone without probs! its brill!

the other option is to put a pay n go sim card in there and go for a wifi option such as bt openzone - depends on how much access u required though. starts at £10 a month for around 4 hrs surftime but the down side is its a 12 month minimum contract. The other option is Cloud wifi. ive jus signed up to this but havent managed t test it since ive not acessed any wif spots yet! its £6.99 a month and is truly unlimited and has no contacrt!

TMobile coverage isnt the greatest right now since theyre undergoing changed and the prices are so much more than 3 i found. but it depend son your personal pref too

3. TheChillPill thread starter macrumors regular

I was under the impression that a 3 sim wouldn't work in the iPhone? I know they don't work in other 2G phones I've tried.

I would be a little concerned about 3 being annoyed at me using Orange more than the 3 network.

Thanks for the suggestion though

4. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

they have a agreement in place with orange where your able to use it but yeah its up to you. my sim works fine in it:D

5. ensemble macrumors member

Anyone unlocked UK Iphone yet ? i.e. avoid O2's contract

Hi

Has anyone unlocked their UK Iphone ? and avoid O2's 18 month contract?

I assume the activation process is similar to that of the US? hence if someone was to buy an Iphone and not activate the o2 contract it via iTunes it's basically theirs to keep?

If so, can anyone share their experiences as to how they managed this ?

Cheers

6. tomacintosh macrumors regular

I was using an O2 Online Pay and Go sim in my unlocked US iPhone. Then I noticed on the O2 website they do Simplicity sim cards, I bought one that gives you 400mins, 1000txts and unlimited date for £28 a month so I'm using that now.

I'm not in an area with EDGE reception but even GPRS gives me about 250Kbps so that adequate for email and some light browsing etc. I've heard people in EDGE enabled areas are getting between 400-500Kbps, far better than what people were expecting. I really do think the media are making far to much of this lack of 3G crap.

Any phone can only load a webpage as quick as it can render it. The iPhone is the quickest mobile device I've ever used when rendering websites. That's where people make the mistake saying the N95 is better because it has 3G. Have you seen an N95 load a full webpage? Even over WiFi its slow, just like my old N80. My iPhone loads a website quicker over GPRS/EDGE than my N80 could with WiFi, simply because the N80 couldn't render the page quick enough.

7. MauiBoy macrumors member

Traveling to UK -- best SIM card to get?

I live in the US and am traveling to Manchester and London this week. I've unlocked my iPhone, and I'm bringing it with me.

Can you tell me what the best option is for purchasing a pre-paid SIM card while there? I'll be in Manchester 2 days and London 2 days, so I don't need a ton of minutes. But, I would like the ability to call back to the US and have data (EDGE) access for getting directions on Google Maps.

I'm not familiar with most of the brands in the UK, but I gather that O2, Orange and "3" are the local mobile providers. Is there one to prefer over the others (or one that covers Manchester and London equally)?

8. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

yep i did a few speed tests last night (late at night when not many people are using it) got 500k+ speeds, very impressed.

am currently using a windows mobile pda though until i can spare the cash for an unlocked import..

9. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Sorry, that's simply not possible.

Theoretical max. for EDGE is 236Kbps. Any more than that is down to browser caching and/or faulty speed tests.

Also make sure you disable wireless first otherwise you're just testing your DSL speed.

10. anders gbg macrumors newbie

so orange has the best edge network?

looking at their homepage it says you can buy bundles. that didn't really do it for me. i am on orange sim only right now and would love to add unlimited edge but not at a very expensive cost. does orange do a good offer?