UK & USA store switching issues

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by entropyfl, Feb 22, 2018.

1. entropyfl macrumors regular

I'm based in the UK and I mainly use my USA account but have the UK account for accesssing local TV content occasionally.

I was always able to switch back and forth but now I'm stuck in the UK store and can't get back to the USA store.

I just reset/wiped and started again with the Apple TV and did the same thing again.

Anyone else having this issue?

2. Tech198, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018

Tech198 macrumors G5

Perhaps its got something to do with the Region as well ? *shrugs*

I just tried just switching to U.S Apple ID, and just switching was all that's needed to see those apps in App Store.

In my case, no region change required.

3. phoenixXx macrumors newbie

Having the same issues with this, I use a few apps on the UK store so switch now and again to update these. When I switch, my movies purchased in the US store switch to the UK, including UK artwork etc. However, when i switch back to the US, the iTunes store stays on the UK side, even if I change region settings. I have to log out of both and sign in again with the US account to restore it. Not a big issue as only switch to update the apps.

4. entropyfl thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks I'll try that.

I did panic that they were phasing out this little loophole of accessing the iTunes Store.. All my content purchases are done on the USA store and I hate to think how much I've spent!

I don't have an aerial or sky so ive been watching the Uk stuff through ITV hub/BBC Iplayer which is what I was installing when I got locked out.

5. Coffee50 macrumors 6502

Wow, I didn't even know that is was possible to keep your US store even if you moved to a different region!

So it's just a matter of "not" cancelling your account (like Apple suggest), but simply logging out & signing up with a new account??

6. scouser75 macrumors 65816

Yup! I got this issue this morning. All was working perfect when I setup my ATV for the first time yesterday.

Now, you have to sign out and back in logically depending on which account is more important for you.

7. iOS_Meeschter macrumors newbie

I‘m having the exact same problem since I upgraded from my old 3rd generation Apple TV to an Apple TV 4k.

On my old Apple TV, when I signed in to my UK account there was a popup window that said something along the lines of „This Apple ID is only valid in the UK. You will be transferred to that store“ and when you then hit OK you were taken to the UK store and you could also just see your UK store purchases. Switching to the US account similarly brought you to the US store and you were shown your US purchases. It was so easy and convenient. Hope they‘ll bring this function back eventually.

8. entropyfl thread starter macrumors regular

I'm going to stop switching between the 2 just in case I ever get locked out of my US account. I have a large library and 99% bought thru the US store so I'd be gutted if I ever lost it

9. Cell-666 macrumors 6502a

Wouldn’t it be just easier to share your US purchases with your U.K. account using family and friends sharing?

10. rmm805 macrumors member

I don’t believe you can do this. At least a year or so ago, I tried and was not able to join an existing UK account to my US family.

11. Cell-666 macrumors 6502a

Makes sense If the shared accounts have to be in the same region?

12. mattiemax26 macrumors newbie

Hi There

I saw this thread and looking a bit of help. I read an article and set up a US iTunes Account thou I live in the UK. So far no issues but I keep seeing posts about sales tax on items? is this billed when you purchase? or when you download or what totally confused ‍♂️

I just use Store Credit for all my purchases but worried incase I get invoice later for sales tax?

My account is registered in Las Vegas, Nevada

13. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

You would pay tax at the time of purchase.

14. -Gonzo- macrumors 6502

-Gonzo-

It depends on the State you reside whether or not you get Taxed which will be added on as you purchase.
    For you however there is currently no sales tax on digital purchases in Nevada.

https://quaderno.io/blog/sales-tax-digital-products-us/