Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
I'm based in the UK and I mainly use my USA account but have the UK account for accesssing local TV content occasionally.

I was always able to switch back and forth but now I'm stuck in the UK store and can't get back to the USA store.

I just reset/wiped and started again with the Apple TV and did the same thing again.

Anyone else having this issue?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Perhaps its got something to do with the Region as well ? *shrugs*

I just tried just switching to U.S Apple ID, and just switching was all that's needed to see those apps in App Store.

In my case, no region change required.

Last edited:

phoenixXx

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2013
Having the same issues with this, I use a few apps on the UK store so switch now and again to update these. When I switch, my movies purchased in the US store switch to the UK, including UK artwork etc. However, when i switch back to the US, the iTunes store stays on the UK side, even if I change region settings. I have to log out of both and sign in again with the US account to restore it. Not a big issue as only switch to update the apps.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Having the same issues with this, I use a few apps on the UK store so switch now and again to update these. When I switch, my movies purchased in the US store switch to the UK, including UK artwork etc. However, when i switch back to the US, the iTunes store stays on the UK side, even if I change region settings. I have to log out of both and sign in again with the US account to restore it. Not a big issue as only switch to update the apps.

Thanks I'll try that.

I did panic that they were phasing out this little loophole of accessing the iTunes Store.. All my content purchases are done on the USA store and I hate to think how much I've spent!

I don't have an aerial or sky so ive been watching the Uk stuff through ITV hub/BBC Iplayer which is what I was installing when I got locked out.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Wow, I didn't even know that is was possible to keep your US store even if you moved to a different region!

So it's just a matter of "not" cancelling your account (like Apple suggest), but simply logging out & signing up with a new account??

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Yup! I got this issue this morning. All was working perfect when I setup my ATV for the first time yesterday.

Now, you have to sign out and back in logically depending on which account is more important for you.

Reactions: JamesMay82

iOS_Meeschter

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2018
I‘m having the exact same problem since I upgraded from my old 3rd generation Apple TV to an Apple TV 4k.

On my old Apple TV, when I signed in to my UK account there was a popup window that said something along the lines of „This Apple ID is only valid in the UK. You will be transferred to that store“ and when you then hit OK you were taken to the UK store and you could also just see your UK store purchases. Switching to the US account similarly brought you to the US store and you were shown your US purchases. It was so easy and convenient. Hope they‘ll bring this function back eventually.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
I‘m having the exact same problem since I upgraded from my old 3rd generation Apple TV to an Apple TV 4k.

On my old Apple TV, when I signed in to my UK account there was a popup window that said something along the lines of „This Apple ID is only valid in the UK. You will be transferred to that store“ and when you then hit OK you were taken to the UK store and you could also just see your UK store purchases. Switching to the US account similarly brought you to the US store and you were shown your US purchases. It was so easy and convenient. Hope they‘ll bring this function back eventually.

I'm going to stop switching between the 2 just in case I ever get locked out of my US account. I have a large library and 99% bought thru the US store so I'd be gutted if I ever lost it

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Wouldn’t it be just easier to share your US purchases with your U.K. account using family and friends sharing?

rmm805

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2014
Wouldn’t it be just easier to share your US purchases with your U.K. account using family and friends sharing?
I don’t believe you can do this. At least a year or so ago, I tried and was not able to join an existing UK account to my US family.

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I don’t believe you can do this. At least a year or so ago, I tried and was not able to join an existing UK account to my US family.

Makes sense If the shared accounts have to be in the same region?

mattiemax26

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2018
Hi There

I saw this thread and looking a bit of help. I read an article and set up a US iTunes Account thou I live in the UK. So far no issues but I keep seeing posts about sales tax on items? is this billed when you purchase? or when you download or what totally confused ‍♂️

I just use Store Credit for all my purchases but worried incase I get invoice later for sales tax?

My account is registered in Las Vegas, Nevada

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi There

I saw this thread and looking a bit of help. I read an article and set up a US iTunes Account thou I live in the UK. So far no issues but I keep seeing posts about sales tax on items? is this billed when you purchase? or when you download or what totally confused ‍♂️

I just use Store Credit for all my purchases but worried incase I get invoice later for sales tax?

You would pay tax at the time of purchase.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Hi There

I saw this thread and looking a bit of help. I read an article and set up a US iTunes Account thou I live in the UK. So far no issues but I keep seeing posts about sales tax on items? is this billed when you purchase? or when you download or what totally confused ‍

It depends on the State you reside whether or not you get Taxed which will be added on as you purchase.
For you however there is currently no sales tax on digital purchases in Nevada.

https://quaderno.io/blog/sales-tax-digital-products-us/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.