UK user purchasing iPhone in USA

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vlug, Jun 14, 2010.

1. vlug macrumors 6502

Hi all,
    Little advice please, if I purchase an iPhone 4 in the USA will it work ok in the UK? and will my warranty be valid?

I'm going to New York soon and I'm in no rush for the new handset but if the exchange rate is right and its cheaper in an Apple store in the USA in a few months then I was gonna wait and just pick the handset up then.

Thanks in advance.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

3. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

You will also only have warranty support in the USA. So if it breaks once you are back in the UK, you will have to send to the US for any warranty service.

Dave

4. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

You'll also be quite lucky if you'll even be able to score one without contract on or around launch day. Every retailer will be trying to lock you into a contract and also for the purpose of commission, so "no commitment" users will be last priority in their minds.

5. vlug thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm not travelling until September so was in no rush just thought it might be cheaper than way.

Do you guys no if I order a PAYG in the UK on the apple site with say Voda/o2/TMobile whether those PAYG handsets are network locked? Being PAYG they shouldn't be right?

6. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

According to some other threads on this forum, UK customers on-contract can get their iPhones unlocked at any time for free -- but they're still covered by their contract, so the carriers will get their full money's worth either way.

It's the prepaid (non-contract) customers, who have to pay a fee to get their phones unlocked. These are the customers who are free to terminate their service at any time, so the carriers add an unlocking fee as a sort of carrot to convince those customers that it's more convenient to stick with their existing carrier than it would be to go through the hassle of either unlocking or else buying a whole new phone elsewhere.

7. Nevasleep macrumors member

You can't, you would need to sign up for a contract with ATT...which you can't do if your on holiday.

8. Nevasleep macrumors member

More likely they will be locked, as with a contract your paying them money regardless :(