UK users Macbook HD upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Boothy, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Boothy macrumors newbie

Looking for at least a 250gb HD (more if available) to upgrade my new macbook that I have just ordered..Can someone recommend a decent place in the UK and a good one to order,the RAM is sorted already;)

Thanks

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

3. bohrsatom macrumors member

Amazon have a WD Passport 250gig drive for a little over £81.

If you take it apart (very easy to do!), put the drive in your Macbook and then put your old macbook hdd into the passport caddy, you get a new disk for your macbook and an external disk for a very good price!

I did it with a 160gig disk and it took next to no time to do. You can pop the Passport's case open with a nectar card or tesco clubcard - it's just held together with plastic clips.

bohrsatom

4. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Scan normally have some good hard drive deals.....

5. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

320GB is the biggest available (from Western Digital). Go for that, unless money is a factor, in which case there's the 250GB (again, WD). All of these are 5400rpm — if speed is a factor, then the biggest you can get is a 200GB drive from Seagate, which is 7200rpm. Make sure you back it up though! I've seen more MacBooks than I care to count with drives that are totally dead. Possibly a Seagate OEM quality issue, but I wouldn't take the chance. This is definitely not anecdotal, by the way. As long as you backup, though, you'll be fine, and with Time Machine there's absolutely no excuse.

Oh, and as for where to get these, I second the Dabs recommendation.

Seagate Momentus 200GB (7200rpm)
    Western Digital Scorpio 320GB (5400rpm)
    Western Digital Scorpio 250GB (5400rpm)

6. nerdbert macrumors regular

nerdbert

Can't tell you about places to buy in the UK, but 320 Gb is out since a couple of months. Comes at a premium but it's very convenient, so if you need lots of space...

7. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

8. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

IMHO the 250 is a good buy right now on ebay, and as Nerdbert says the 320gb you pay a premium on.
    Depends how much space you really need.

9. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Speaking generally, Dabs are usually quite overpriced compared to eBuyer and if you order from eBuyer you also have the luxury of an 8pm next day delivery cut off time which is nice. I also don't like that Dabs doesn't actually show the delivery date on the order page.

I got a drive from PCNextday.co.uk and it was fine.

10. Boothy thread starter macrumors newbie