UK users - using Data Roaming in Europe

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pittster, Sep 14, 2008.

1. pittster macrumors regular

am off to Toulouse, France on Tuesday for 5 days.
    will only be using the 3G iPhone for calls/SMS/emails.
    will switch data roaming on once a day to check and reply to email, no internet surfing at all.

according to O2 its too late to add the £20 'bolt on' for 10MB data download since I'm going on Tuesday.

my question is -

how many MBs would, for example, 5 emails/replies each day for 5 days come to in terms of MBs (assuming there are no JPEGs in them, text only)?

O2 charge £3 per MB download, dont want to come home to a huge bill :(

2. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Erm, what?! Call them back and speak to somebody else. They do a couple of mouse clicks their end and it gets switched on. :confused:

3. pittster thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, I spoke to 3 diff people on the phone, even went into the O2 shop an hr ago.
    the third guy on the phone said it would be fine, then called me back 10 minutes later saying it couldnt be done as my next bill date is 11th October, and I would be billed then. so it would be useless for my trip which starts in 2 days time and only lasts 5 days in total :(

4. philgilder macrumors 68000

it will be no where near 10mb, so in my opinion £20 is not worth it
    i just looked at an average email, which had 4 images and 20 lines of text, and it was 6kb in size

5. sibruk macrumors 6502a

I would definitely escalate this. Maybe on a day when you won't get weekend staff. So what they're saying is that you need to know if you're travelling up to a month in advance? Yes, that's going to work for business travellers.

Will they not accept payment by card for this add-on for a month?

6. pittster thread starter macrumors regular

yup, thats what I'm hoping, I'll only turn data roaming on once a day and check/reply to any emails. no internet surfing at all, so am hoping it shouldnt cost me an arm and a leg...just being cautious as have never tried this before.

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I went to Cannes with mine. Only checked a few footy scores during the last 3 days of my visit and didnt go anywhere near emails for fear of a huge attachment.

I got home to an additional £7 charge for data. It was quite steep but I knew it would be. Don't O2 charge you, plus whatever the foreign carrier you are on at the time charge you too? In effect being charged twice?

Either way use as little as possible. Or not at all as I attempted to do (but failed). :D

8. pittster thread starter macrumors regular

am assuming you checked footy scores using Safari?

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

yes the smoke signal function wasn't working at the time. Hehe. Pre app store was there any other way?

Roaming was only on when I needed it.

10. NightGeometry macrumors regular

Wouldn't it be better keeping an eye out for free WiFi? Not been to Toulouse for years, but in general a lot of hotels and restaurants have free WiFi, so just try that? Wouldn't cost you a penny.

11. pittster thread starter macrumors regular

well, its an hour from Toulouse, so am pretty sure there'll be nothing other than GPRS signal as its out in the countryside.

also according to O2 website, even if you use overseas free WiFi its still charged (?? :confused: ??).

12. philgilder macrumors 68000

nope, its just o2 saying things that they don't really know what they are talking about

13. pittster thread starter macrumors regular

LOL, yup you're right there. cant get a straight answer from them whenever I call.

14. NightGeometry macrumors regular

Ahh, fair enough, that makes sense then.

That's mad! Couldn't find anything on their site saying that (but I didn't look too hard, to be honest). There was a thing about turning on airplane mode then wifi, so you don't 'accidently' get data ota. Apart from that - how would they know you were using WiFi? Sorry, that's probably way off topic now.

15. pittster thread starter macrumors regular

my plan was to turn off both data roaming and push.
    will leave the phone/SMS service active.
    would then turn on data roaming once a day and manually check email then switch roaming back off until the next day.

that the best way to do it?

16. angrywaiter macrumors member

That's odd.

I went to Normandy on the 20th August. I phoned O2 from the ferry port and they switched on the Data bolt on straight away.

Bizarre that they are telling you it can't be done !?!?

17. philgilder macrumors 68000

that should be fine, and result in no accidental data use

this is o2. you must expect them to have no idea what they are talking about

18. pittster thread starter macrumors regular

that's why I phoned 3 times... they say that because my next bill is due 11th Oct then that the date when they can add the 10MB 'bolt on', thus making it pointless if I'm wanting it for next week :confused:

19. sibruk macrumors 6502a

But 'when your next bill is due' is irrelevant. Demand to speak to a supervisor! :D

20. pittster thread starter macrumors regular

tried that!

21. pauld macrumors regular

Yeah, be careful or you're likely Toulouse a lot of money.

22. pittster thread starter macrumors regular

very good... :D

23. smr macrumors 6502a

That's what I did on a recent trip to Greece and it worked fine.

It is also a good idea to go into Settings->General>Usage and 'Reset Statistics' when you leave the UK. You can then keep tabs on exactly how much Cellular Network Data you are using whilst abroad.

Have a nice trip :)

24. pittster thread starter macrumors regular

thanks SMR,
    good advice, will do that as I leave the UK.
    cheers,
    :)