UK VAT - Ordered Before the Increase - Charged the new VAT?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by logicpro7, Jan 4, 2011.

1. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

Hey there,
    Quick question regarding the new UK VAT increase.

My Mother just purchased a 13' MBP from Apple online a day before the VAT increase and paid with her card, with the order going through.

On looking at the delivery status, i t looks like they have put an extra £20 on the invoice?

The MBP has not yet been dispatched, but was paid for before the VAT increase.

Can they really do that?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple charges the credit card when the order is dispatched. You can of course call Apple and ask is it right that they charge the extra VAT because the reported price was less when she ordered it.

3. logicpro7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahh cool, i will get her to call them once the invoice has been put up after dispatch.

Thanks.

4. logicpro7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is rather misleading though.... And at time of the order she only authorised a payment of £905 to be taken from her card and not the £925.

Naughty Apple, holding order dispatches back so the new VAT kicks in ;)

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It is misleading, that's why I would call them. AFAIK the price should be 905£ because it was ordered before the VAT raise. It's only 20 pounds though

They don't get the money though ;)

6. Queso macrumors G4

VAT is usually applied at invoice date, so if Apple generate the invoice at dispatch time that's the date that will be used. However, unless this was clearly stated on the website at time of purchase I think your mother has a good case for a complaint.

7. logicpro7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah its only £20, not a big deal. It!s just when you order at a certain price you expect to pay that.

No probs though, i am sure she will email or call them.