UK Vodafone EDGE settings on JB 2G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by badgerman, Oct 17, 2008.

1. badgerman macrumors 6502a

I have a 2G JB on vodafone and in the EDGE setting I have set up as follows;

APN wap.vodafone.co.uk
    Username WAP
    Password wap

This does not seem to work. What do you use in this situ?

Cheers

2. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

3. phil909 macrumors newbie

for the apn setting just enter the word:
    internet

leave the other 2 settings blank

vodaphone has quite an extensive edge network in the uk. i've not been anywhere in the uk that doesn't have it. hope this works for you.

4. badgerman thread starter macrumors 6502a

thank you so much!

5. phil909 macrumors newbie

no problem, glad to be of some help.
    one thing to remember is that you have to re-enter internet as the apn each time you restart your phone. powering off for some reason clears the settings.
    i'm still running 1.1.2 - maybe this has been fixed in later updates though....

6. Rigsby macrumors regular

Hmmm. Someone might correct me on this, but I don't think Vodafone has EDGE at all, only GPRS or 3G. The firmware didn't have a GPRS icon until (I think) 1.1.4. Which would be why you are getting EDGE everywhere - basically you have a GPRS connection and the iPhone can only display an EDGE icon.

I used to have an iPhone unlocked on Vodafone before buying an O2 contract, and there was a world of difference between the 'EDGE' on Vodafone and the real EDGE on O2.

7. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

Vodafone doesn't have an EDGE network in the UK.

There is GPRS and 3G including HSDPA with support of up to 7.2Mbps and HSUPA.

On older firmware's before 2.0, unlocked iPhone's on Vodafone UK used to have the Edge network logo on the screen but this was just because a GPRS connection was available.

Now on firmware 2.1, unlocked iPhone's on Vodafone in the UK will only display the "o" symbol for GPRS and not the "E" symbol for EDGE.