UK vs US wall warts

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Supremacy, Aug 25, 2013.

  1. Supremacy macrumors newbie

    Jun 27, 2013
    Just wondering after I stumbled upon an article of a US wall wart teardown.

    Does the UK wall wart have the same components as a US wall wart?
    If so why is there such a big size difference between this two?
  2. L T, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013

    L T macrumors 6502

    L T

    Feb 24, 2013
    Because our UK one has to be bigger to house the 3 pin plug!
  3. Supremacy thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 27, 2013
    Isn't the US wall wart bigger? And also do we have the same components?
  4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

    Oct 9, 2007
    I’m not sure what the “wart” is supposed to mean. In North America we have plugs (the part with metal prongs) and outlets (the thing that plugs are plugged into).

    The plugs come in two and three-pronged versions. Almost all outlets accept both. The prongs themselves are smaller than those used in the UK, but larger than the ones used in Europe.

    First image is a standard wall outlet. Second is a standard outlet with a two-prong plug. Third is a three-prong plug. These are generally used for things like air conditioners, refrigerators, computer monitors, desktop computers. For apple products, MacBooks, Minis, Apple TV, iPhone and iPad don’t. Thunderbolt display does, and I assume iMacs do too.

    Attached Files:

  5. aristobrat macrumors G5

    Oct 14, 2005
    IIRC, wall wart refers to an adapter that plugs directly into the wall (and looks like a wart on the wall), vs an adapter that uses a power cable to plug into the wall.
  6. tardman91 macrumors 65816


    Oct 21, 2009
    Tampa Area, FL
    UK charger

    US charger

    I'm guessing the internals are completely different for the most part. In the US the 3rd prong is used on higher voltage electrics for grounding.

Share This Page