UK Warranty Repair Times

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RazorD, Jan 1, 2008.

1. RazorD macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

Just a question to see if anyone can shed some more light on Apple's Warranty Policies in the UK.

I took my Powerbook 17inch to be repaired on the 14th December, in the Regent Street store (London). 3 issues with it, missing foot, dodgy superdrive and backlight flickering. They were going to replace all 3 parts (the whole screen for the backlight). The guy told me it would be 3-4 days, but he had to say 7 days just to be sure.

I called 7 days later and was told the SuperDrive was still not instock, and was due later that day, the Display panel was in stock. She said it'll be another couple of days

Few days later, before christmas i called and was told the superdrive was now instock, but the display panel wasn't. They couldn't get an ETA.

Called back again yesterday to be told the part was on 'Global Constraint' meaning the part had a long lead time, and there were 5 other powerbooks awaiting this part in the apple store.

I've covered under an extended warranty, so the repair is free. But surely they can't expect me to wait months while they try and find the part? Surely it should be replaced if they can't get it promptly? I already thing the 3 weeks i've waited for this repair is too long for a warrenty job.

Who is the best person/dept to speak to about it? I've called Apple Care who said to speak to Customer Care, The Apple Store are unhelpful, they just say 'We're awaiting the part, nothing we can do. We're not able to see when its going to come in'.

I just really need my laptop as im in my Final year of university, with exams next week and all my notes are on there. Plus, i go to university in Wales, so its about 12 hours of travelling and £70 to go and pick it up after next Friday :(

Thanks!

-raz

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

cant you get the laptop back and ask them to contact you when they have parts in stock?
    explain your situation as well

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I got a 24 hour turnaround last time at the Solihull store, a 4 day turnaround the time before that at Birmingham (they were told they could have a month), and a 7 day turnaround the time before that at Birmingham.

The problem here is that if they don't have the part it'll take ages over Christmas, but if you need it back for Uni, call them and say you need the machine and that you are happy to have in back for now without the superdrive, but they will need to repair it later. You could push for a Firewire external one if you want.

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

From my experience 3 weeks is the minimum I've had to wait for my warranty repairs. I'm also in Wales, and my laptop has gone in 3 times to the Authorized place in Cardiff, and it's always been a minimum of 3 weeks, max 5.

Looks like the price we unfortunately have to pay for living where we do. :mad:

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Thats why I always take mine to an Apple Retail Store, they are much quicker. But clearly only if they have the part.

6. KevanDual2.5 macrumors member

Apple Repairs

A few years ago i splashed out on a Dual 2.5Ghz G5. Top of the range at the time. Within a few days i was on the phone to Apple as it was acting strange. My main complaint was fan behaviour. For no obvious reason, it would try to suck the fillings from my teeth. The following day a spotty repair boy arrived to help. Unable to suggest anything i had not already tried, he told me it would have to go away for a holiday to be looked at properly. Estimated turnaround?? 7-10 days!! I was less than happy and enquired about a loaner unit to keep me up and running. No luck. I had to go collect it in town around 5 days later. Job sheet showed that the processor module had been changed. Within an hour of booting the system back up it was making dustballs tremble on the other side of the room and moths and the like were stuck to the front like it was sticky.

This was my first ever experience with an AASP. It put me off ever going near them again. I decided that this whole 7-10 day thing was totally unacceptable and that other people would definitely feel the same. Now i can't name the AASP in question as they dislike me posting my customer's fact based comments so much that they track them down and lie to and threaten them. I can tell you that over 95% of my customers have used the Edinburgh outlet of this particular Bellshill based company and not one of them had a good word to say about them.

I already had a good bit of knowledge of ye olde Apple Macs so i bought some duff units from ebay to interfere with their insides. I was soon reselling them on ebay fully repaired. I then decided i would test the water to see if other people would pay me to fix their duff Macs. They did! I now run an Apple repair business up in Scotland and i put my success down to a few key factors.

1. Turnaround time.

Sometimes this is outwith my control but i always try to give a realistic timeframe. Only if the Mac is not useable does it stay with me until repaired. If it is still useable i will always give the customer the option of returning with the Mac when i have the parts in stock. Generally, they will leave the same day with the repaired Mac.

2. Flexibility

How can you expect a customer to get to you during normal business hours when they are likely to be at work during those hours? In my opinion, you can't. So, i work to suit my customers. Evenings and weekends are fine with me if it suits them best. No extra cost for these either! Also, not everyone has the ability to lug an eMac with them on the train/bus etc. I will come to you if you cover my diesel costs.

3. Layman's Terms

No point telling Joe Public that they need a new reverse flux capacitating transmografier for their LCD backlight inverter. Even i don't know what that means! How about.... "Your iBook LCD is dark because the device that provides power to the bulb that illuminates it has failed" Comprende?

Some intelligent dude stated that 'If the truth can be told so as to be understood, it will be believed'. I couldn't agree more!!!

I suppose you could list all of the above under one heading. Customer Service. Only recently has Apple ventured into the market of customer facing outlets. Unfortunately, i feel they have a whole lot to make up for. Burying your head in the sand does not make a problem go away. Dealing with it publicly, and honestly, is the best way forward.

When i buy a top notch product, i expect top notch support from the people who made it. Could you imagine buying a new BMW and not getting a courtesy car when you take it back with a problem after a week?!!

AASP's charge such a ridiculous price that most Macs can quickly become uneconomical to repair. I suppose Apple think that people will not think twice and just buy a new Mac. Do they never stop to think that some people may simply look at switching to the dark side and buying a cheap and cheerful Windows box for the same price as their repair quote?

Apple to nothing to help people like me, or the avid DIY repairer. Apple parts are not easy to buy. If you do find a supplier you need to remortgage the holiday home to afford them. Right now i can buy and official Apple Superdrive (Pioneer DVR-105BK) for £136+VAT. Have a look at the price for the latest in the DVR-1xx range on t'internet. Apple Tax is a killer!

Anyhoo, rant over.

Happy New Year everyone!

7. RazorD thread starter macrumors 6502

About 30 minutes after i posted this post, a manager from Regent Street called me to let me know they've been told the part would be unavailable for the near future, and they would now replace my 2 1/2 year old 17 inch Powerbook with a brand new 17 inch MacBook Pro!

So i hopped on a train into London and got it this afternoon!

Intel goodness. Drool.

8. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

9. philgilder macrumors 68000

if only theyd done this 2 weeks later, then you might have got a new (unreleased???) macbook pro :)
    oh well, its still the best laptop one can buy, as long as it has no problems
    my problems: keyboard and trackpad stopped working
    isight stopped working
    my mbp no randomly electrocutes me, although i think this was because of the extension cord i was using!!!