UK: Way to get iPhone as gift?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by netdog, Aug 24, 2008.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

A friend wants to give someone a 3G iPhone as a surprise gift, but doesn't want to pay their contract.

Is there anyway that one can get an iPhone in the UK without signing up for a contract first? The recipient will be signing on with O2 once they have received this gift. Obviously, my friend wants to present her with the iPhone first (as a surprise) rather than agreeing to buy the phone once the recipient deals with O2.

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

not possible, best that can be done is apple gift vouchers

3. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

Aren't there European carriers that sell the phone contract free by law? That, along with eBay and Craigslist, are always options, although I don't know how popular Craigslist is outside the US.

Also... slightly off topic, am I the only one who thinks giving someone a contract-locked cell phone without offering to pay for the plan is a really crappy "surprise gift"? It's like, Hey, I just bought you this huge and expensive contract where you are required to pay thousands of dollars over the next couple years. Surprise!

4. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

The recipient will be happy to move to O2 and our plans are good here.

5. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Dunno if they have them over here, but in the US Apple Stores you can buy a iPhone 3G Gift Certificate where you just pay for the phone.

6. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

Even so, I just think giving a subscription service as a gift without offering to pay for the full or part of the subscription is lame.

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

8. philgilder macrumors 68000

yes, a very expensive gift card