(UK) What if I wish to replace the iPhone while still on contract with O2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zoowatch, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

I'm interested in getting the iPhone with O2 in the UK.

Since I will have to sign an 18-month contract, does it mean that I am stuck with this iPhone for the next 18 months no matter what?

What happens if (1) Apple release the 2nd generation iPhone and I wish to buy the new one or (2) if I broke the iPhone and is not covered by the warranty or (3) if I lose the iPhone...

...while the contract has not expired?

does it mean that I can just buy another iPhone from Apple and use it on my exisiting contract or must I sign on another 18-month contract with O2?

I understand that when I buy a new iPhone, I will have to activate it on iTunes, this means that I will have to set up a new contract with O2... or is there an option which allows existing subscribers with O2 iPhone tariff to activate another new iPhone based on the same contract (i.e. the original 18-month contract remains unchanged -- no contract extension)?

Thank you for helping

2. ascender macrumors 68000

The thing with companies like O2 is that they want your business and to them that means locking you in to a new contract. I'd have thought there will always be options to upgrade, but they'll definitely involve signing a new 18 month contract and the price of the handset may vary.

3. danielforman macrumors regular

According to O2 and Apple support staff if Apple release a new iPhone within the 18months of your iPhone v1 contract then you will be able to simply switch your contract to the new iPhone.

Check out http://www.iphoneuklaunch.com/?p=305 for their article on this.

Not sure though if you want to upgrade to a different phone though or any other situation.

4. marcol macrumors regular

Thanks for posting that. Roll on Nov 9!

5. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

If iPhone v2 has 3G it will NOT be with O2. O2s 3G coverage is just simply TERRIBlE. If iPhone V2 is 3G it will be with Vodafone. Just keep this in mind. :)

6. marcol macrumors regular

Can't be worse than T-Mobile! Judging by the coverage maps (yeah, I know...) for my part of the world it actually looks to be better. Read somewhere that O2 iPhone deal is multi-year, so no Vodafone V2 if that's true.

Just sent a message to O2 to try to get more confirmation of upgrade policy.

7. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Apple would be so stupid if they gave the 3g iphone to O2, They have the worse posable 3g coverage. I have a N95 its very very rare that i have a 3g connection. The Coverage map is just a bunch of lies.

8. ascender macrumors 68000

I live outside Edinburgh and have found 3G coverage to be very good whenever I've needed it tbh.

9. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Keep in mind that by the time the V2.0 iPhone is released O2 may well have increased their 3G coverage. I'd imagine a v2.0 won't be available for a year, giving O2 time to increase coverage. And the idea of the next gen switching to another carrier after all of the initial negotiations doesn't make any sense... they'll stick with their original partners...

10. paulo999 macrumors member

The o2 deal is for five years. No possibility of vodafone until 2012.