UK: What SSD and from where

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamin00, Jun 12, 2012.

1. jamin00 macrumors 6502

jamin00

2. Hustler1337 macrumors 65816

Hustler1337

It would seem Crucial have the most reliable SSDs and are the most popular manufacturer for the MacBook Pros.

I've found a good deal on eBay: http://www.ebuyer.com/339595-crucia...b-s-read-415mb-s-write-260mb-s-ct512m4ssd2baa

Use Coupon code: SSDCOMP for 10% off bringing the price down to: £287.96 (with free delivery if your willing to wait up to 5 days). That's the cheapest I could find. There are only 6 left in stock when i checked

Would strongly advise you to check compatibility with your MacBook Pro before purchasing by visiting the Crucial website.

Hope that helps ;)

3. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502

jamin00

Pefect thanks, ordering now.

Is it benificial to order it with the data transfer kit for an extra £10? I suppose it is :)

4. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

I'm interested in a Vertex4 512GB but they are a bit pricey.

Anyone know where is selling them relatively cheap in UK/IRL ?

5. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Not really. It's a USB to SATA connector with an unregistered copy of SuperDuper (or Carbon Copy Clone, I forget which). I'd do a clean install and restore your data from a backup.

6. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502

jamin00

OK, thanks.

I ordered it without ;)

So do a Time Machine backup right before I turn the MBP off. Swap the the HDD out for the SSD. When turning on hold the option key and go to recovery, then download Lion from the net this way. Then plug in my Time Machine drive and restore.
    Where do I find the restore or how to do the restore. Does it all become apparent when I plug it in and click the Time Machine drive on the desktop?

Yes Im a noob, only been Mac for a couple of months.

7. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

You might want to consider the Samsung 830 SSD, which is used by Apple in the MBA 2011 models, and it's great. It's more or less, the same performance as the Crucial M4, but I'm just throwing some alternatives out there.

You might be able to pick up a 830 for cheaper.