UK - What's best, Regent Street or O2 store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevearm, Jun 22, 2010.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

I've got a small O2 store about a 10 minute walk from me, and was wondering whether turning up a couple of hours early on thursday there, would be better than turning up early at Regent Street.

Any opinions on which is more likely to get me iPhone upgrade? I missed the reservation window sadly.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If the UK is anything like the US - small store = small inventory. If it were me I'd go to Regent St. unless you have a pal at the O2 store.

3. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

But it also means small store = smaller queues.

There will be hundreds if not a thousand or two people queuing or arriving early at Regent Street. There'll probably be what, 50 people queuing at most at my O2 store? If that.

Just curious what people thought about this, and what others will be doing...?

4. kaelell macrumors 6502

Go Small store first. Regent street gets jam packed by everyone, or try the Apple store at Brent cross, they dont get as busy.

5. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Problem is Brent Cross are likely to get 1/10th of the stock that Regent street are...

6. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. nednarm macrumors 6502

I'd say o2 store, I reckon there will be less people there, if you get there early then you should get one. Regent street is the flagship store, it's going to be rim locked.

8. Abcmsaj macrumors member

Abcmsaj

The 3GS launch at Regent Street was huge. If you're gonna queue there without a reservation, get there early. I mean... I'm showing up at Cardiff at 1am because I missed the reservation window, like you. And besides... Unlocked iPhone is better resale in a year :)

9. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

What do you mean unlocked iPhone? Is there a difference between the models sold with O2 and the one at the Apple store? If I upgrade my O2 contract in the apple store, won't I get the same phone as I'd get at an O2 store?

If Regent Street opens at for instance 8, do you think showing up at 6 is good enough, if I don't have a reservation?

10. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Never, ever, ever the Regent Street store. Ever.

Phazer

11. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Theres going to be about 200+ people there by 6am... I'd say get a coat and sit it out from 3am onwards

12. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

I strolled in an hour or two later than they opened for the 3GS launch and got a PAYG phone an hour or two later, wasn't that big a deal.

13. The Phazer macrumors 68030

You could stroll in and get a 3GS anywhere. Nobody was out of contract to buy them.

I really doubt Regent Street will have any iPhones that are not pre-ordered already. Most O2 shops will, and smaller queues to boot.

Phazer

14. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

I rung up Regent Street about a week ago and they said they'd have iPhone 4's available for people who hadn't reserved. Just not sure how many...

15. egraphixstudios macrumors 6502

egraphixstudios

Regent street store is only going to have 4000 units! there are gonna sell faster than hot cakes!

16. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you know that for a fact? Does those 4000 include reserved iPhones?

17. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

4000 have reserved iPhone for pickup apparently....

If it's anything like the iPad launch - and lets be honest, its going to be a lot bigger, and that was big - there won't be any strolling in to pick up a phone. I headed to the Regents Street store the day after release and there was still a dedicated iPad queue of about 150 in there.

It's going to be crazy busy in there - which is why I opted to head to the Kingston store for my reservation.