UK - Which iPad? WiFi or +3G

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vito, Mar 22, 2011.

?

Which iPad Model?

1. WiFi Only

29.6%
  2. WiFi + 3G

70.4%
  1. vito macrumors 6502a

Hey,

Apologies, didn't want to start a whole new-ish topic in the mammoth UK thread.

Just wondering what you guys think, iPad WiFi only or with 3G

I suppose you can use the iPhone 4 Hotpost feature (I'm with three so no charge afaik)

Any current 3G owners, has the mobile 3G come in use where you arent able to access WiFi

2. maehara macrumors regular

Currently have a 64GB 3G model, which I'll hopefully be offloading in a few days. On the £7.50/mth for 1GB plan with 3, and I find I use most of that allowance each month so I'll be going for another 3G model this year (although probably the 32GB version this time).

Also have a dash mount for it, makes a decent satnav unit when using the Navigon app, which has iPad support... :)

3. vito thread starter macrumors 6502a

Someone mentioned these pre-pay SIMs from Amazon I think, something like 12GB data, anyone seem to recall exactly what it was?

Also, does anyone know for sure if Three "hotspot" is free to use if so then a separate data package is not needed?

Thanks,

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I've got a 3G iPad 1. Very handy when I'm away from a wifi network. Incidentally, I find iPad's 3G performance significantly better than using a USB 3G dongle with the MBP....

5. vito thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have found myself wondering if I should have gone for the 3G iPad 1 model when I got mine because free WiFi isn't always available.

6. Godzirra macrumors 6502

Somewhere on Salisbury plain, and Apple, UK
    Have a 32GB 3G and on the 3 £7.50 month deal. Found it very handy when round the girlfriends place, as she doesn't have wifi and no interwebs.
    We've also compared it to her pc laptop running 3 dongle, and the pages have loaded faster on my iPad than her machine.

I've had no problems with coverage either, and have taken the unit with me on days out, just to test.

Will be going for a 3G iPad 2 and passing my old one onto her.

I'm a 'what in case' type person and know that if I got just a wifi, I'd have wanted or needed the 3G version, so better to be safe than sorry for me.

7. GeekPill macrumors member

If your near an Outlet that has a Three Store in it go in and ask for the sims (if you dont trust other resellers) and they sell it for a good discount. But sometimes the manager or other staff can be :mad:holes.

Great if your a single person and have no family, bad if you have a family and getting them the same thing.

But I will be getting the 3G 64GB iPad as yes I have a mifi I still like the ability to just have it there, so you can use it if you dont carry a mifi around.

8. redout macrumors member

Has to be 3G for me. I mean where the hell are you going to be with free wifi all of the time ? If just using it at home then fine but once you take it outside the house 3G is a must in my opinion.

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I work in a bank mortgage office right now as a consultant, so sometimes I feel like I'm behind the Great Firewall of China on the bank laptop. It's nice to be able to access personal email and websites (read: Facebook/Twitter) during slow times at work on the iPad. The 3G is also nice because of the GPS. Yes, I know that iPhone can tether and transmit GPS data to the iPad. However, it only updates once per minute so is inconvenient for navigation functions.

10. vito thread starter macrumors 6502a

Me too, when I visit client sites the net is filtered and it's always over zealous.