UK widgets

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
Hi,

Just thought I'd ask everybody living, working etc. in the UK at the moment what your favourite UK Dashboard widgets are?
I ask so everybody form the UK using these forums will be able to find widgets designed for UK users.
I could really do with a Yellow Pages stile widget or a decnt UK weather widget.......but what have you guys got.
At the moment I've got UK train times, BBC news and the UK TV guide, but I'm really hoping that some of the other UK residents on these forums have got some cool UK only widgets.

Nick

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
gangst said:
Hi,

Just thought I'd ask everybody living, working etc. in the UK at the moment what your favourite UK Dashboard widgets are?
I ask so everybody form the UK using these forums will be able to find widgets designed for UK users.
I could really do with a Yellow Pages stile widget or a decnt UK weather widget.......but what have you guys got.
At the moment I've got UK train times, BBC news and the UK TV guide, but I'm really hoping that some of the other UK residents on these forums have got some cool UK only widgets.

Nick
There's the myAmazon widget you can localise to Amazon UK, and there's a Radio 4 streaming widget, and a Yell UK phone widget. That's about it.

Applespider

macrumors G4
In addition to the Radio 4 widget, there is one that streams all of the BBC radio channels (including the digital ones) here

There's also a Big Brother (yawn) one, a cricket score one (not just British), a National Lottery one and a Ceefax viewer.

How useful any of those are I'll leave up to you - suffice to it say that none of them are on my Dashboard!

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Applespider said:
How useful any of those are I'll leave up to you - suffice to it say that none of them are on my Dashboard!
What about the NFL scoreboard?
;)

But what I'd like to see, just for fun, would be a real dashboard-style dashboard, with speedometer (processor speed), tachometer (cpu usage), fuel gauge (battery power) and ammeter (AP signal strength, or something). Just an idea...

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
Applespider said:
Ceefax viewer.
Hahah no way :) Does it cycle thru each page you don't want before arriving, 10 mins later, on the page you do want? Only to display it for 5 seconds while you scramble to find the Hold button?

Ahhhh Ceefax.. fond memories.

Applespider

macrumors G4
pulsewidth947 said:
Hahah no way :) Does it cycle thru each page you don't want before arriving, 10 mins later, on the page you do want? Only to display it for 5 seconds while you scramble to find the Hold button?
That was my reaction too... along with 'Why?'

skunk said:
What about the NFL scoreboard? ;)
I was being good and sticking to UK widgets... Having said that, as soon as there's an NFL widget of any kind, I'm sure it will claim a spot! Slightly less necessary since most games are played on a Sunday and I'm usually in front of the TV in a bar watching the game... ;)

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
Is anyone's Apple Weather widget playing up when you put in UK cities? I've had it set to London since I installed Tiger, but noticed that whichever two days are listed first they always are set to thunderstorms. Also during the day the main weather icon rather than being sun, is set to the moon!

I've tried to reset to city by putting in New York and then back to London - didn't work and kept telling me the city wasn't known. I thne took it off the dashboard and then back on, so it defaulted to Cardiff, but did recognise London - but for some reason its stuck on Cardiff! Another Tiger bug?

skp574

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2005
greenwich.london.uk
Piarco75 said:
Is anyone's Apple Weather widget playing up when you put in UK cities? I've had it set to London since I installed Tiger, but noticed that whichever two days are listed first they always are set to thunderstorms. Also during the day the main weather icon rather than being sun, is set to the moon!

I've tried to reset to city by putting in New York and then back to London - didn't work and kept telling me the city wasn't known. I thne took it off the dashboard and then back on, so it defaulted to Cardiff, but did recognise London - but for some reason its stuck on Cardiff! Another Tiger bug?
That's not London UK it's London (i believe a town in The States). I had the same problem when I installed Tiger for the first time.

When you enter the location type "London, UK" not just London. It will get the correct location.

HTH

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
is the big brother widget a webcam one or just up to date news on whats going on in the house? couldn't ind it on google so anyone got a link??

thanks