UK: Will you be hacking your iPhone??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulobrad, Nov 1, 2007.

1. paulobrad macrumors regular

So 8 sleeps to go but I still can't decide if I should hack my iPhone. Are the issues of a possible bricking now long gone or are you still running a risk do you reckon.

Also, although obsessed and following iPhone news incessantly since January, can anyone link me to a site that best takes you through the hacking process and all potential issues (and advantages!), http://www.hacktheiphone.com the best?

2. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

3. MacMonkee macrumors regular

MacMonkee

4. Jarcrew macrumors 6502

Jarcrew

I've been tempted to hack simply because of Lights Out, but to tell the truth, with the SDK just around the corner I think within a few months we'll be up to our eyes in apps.

If I had an iPod Touch I wouldn't think twice about it.

5. smythey macrumors regular

I believe the problem of bricked phones has only happened with people who have SIM-unlocked their phones. Jailbreaking the phone is a reversible process - just do a restore in Itunes. :)

6. page3 macrumors 6502

Depends on the actual detail of O2's iPhone tariffs, which are still not available. Ie: what are the costs after your inclusive minutes are spent. Is Voicemail included for free or per minute. How much are international calls. Are calls to customer services free, etc etc...

7. sneeks macrumors 6502a

8. sandsl macrumors member

I intend to jailbreak my iPhone if its possible with the 1.1.2 firmware. I'll be on the £35 /pm o2 contract so unlocking won't be necessary.

I would have thought Apple would have patched the tiff exploit in 1.1.2, so we may well have to wait a while for a new work around.

9. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

no don't think it's worth it but wouldn't mind using itoner!!! is this a hack?

10. sananda macrumors 68020

i'll only be buying an iphone if it's possible to unlock it. i'm strictly a pay as you go man spending very little on phone calls.

11. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

12. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

hey koobcamuk what's the sound like when playing music through the external speakers!

13. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

14. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

Possibly I will hack it, only because I don't like the O2 tariffs and I struggle to get an O2 signal at home where I use the phone a lot of the time. If I do hack it then I will get a 12/18month contract with T-mobile, and a free phone and then just put the sim into the hacked iPhone.

15. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

sup redgaz,

Sounds awesome. External speaker is really good - was in bed last night catching up on Top Gear with my girlfriend. The viewing angles are amazing - blacks are crisp, great contrast...

Everyone: You will love this thing so much. Who needs an Archos??

16. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I would do it, if the carrier in spain was vodafone, 'cos I've got crap coverage where I live :(

17. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I'll disagree on the external speakers sounding awesome. They're fine enough to listen to movie dialogue, music pushes it too much, crackles, breaks up. Speakers are decent enough I guess. Speakerphone is horrible though with volume. Wonderful device though.

18. page3 macrumors 6502

I've never heard it being called that before.

19. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

HAHAHA!! LOL!:eek::D:p