UK: Will you be hacking your iPhone??

paulobrad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
UK
So 8 sleeps to go but I still can't decide if I should hack my iPhone. Are the issues of a possible bricking now long gone or are you still running a risk do you reckon.

Also, although obsessed and following iPhone news incessantly since January, can anyone link me to a site that best takes you through the hacking process and all potential issues (and advantages!), http://www.hacktheiphone.com the best?

Jarcrew

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Cardiff, Wales
I've been tempted to hack simply because of Lights Out, but to tell the truth, with the SDK just around the corner I think within a few months we'll be up to our eyes in apps.

If I had an iPod Touch I wouldn't think twice about it.

Comment

smythey

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
Scotland
I believe the problem of bricked phones has only happened with people who have SIM-unlocked their phones. Jailbreaking the phone is a reversible process - just do a restore in Itunes. :)

Comment

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Vicar of Dibley-land, UK
Depends on the actual detail of O2's iPhone tariffs, which are still not available. Ie: what are the costs after your inclusive minutes are spent. Is Voicemail included for free or per minute. How much are international calls. Are calls to customer services free, etc etc...

Comment

sandsl

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2002
I intend to jailbreak my iPhone if its possible with the 1.1.2 firmware. I'll be on the £35 /pm o2 contract so unlocking won't be necessary.

I would have thought Apple would have patched the tiff exploit in 1.1.2, so we may well have to wait a while for a new work around.

Comment

sananda

macrumors 68020
May 24, 2007
i'll only be buying an iphone if it's possible to unlock it. i'm strictly a pay as you go man spending very little on phone calls.

Comment

SayCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
Thame, Oxfordshire, England
Possibly I will hack it, only because I don't like the O2 tariffs and I struggle to get an O2 signal at home where I use the phone a lot of the time. If I do hack it then I will get a 12/18month contract with T-mobile, and a free phone and then just put the sim into the hacked iPhone.

Comment

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
hey koobcamuk what's the sound like when playing music through the external speakers!
sup redgaz,

Sounds awesome. External speaker is really good - was in bed last night catching up on Top Gear with my girlfriend. The viewing angles are amazing - blacks are crisp, great contrast...

Everyone: You will love this thing so much. Who needs an Archos??

Comment

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
sup redgaz,

Sounds awesome. External speaker is really good - was in bed last night catching up on Top Gear with my girlfriend. The viewing angles are amazing - blacks are crisp, great contrast...

Everyone: You will love this thing so much. Who needs an Archos??
I'll disagree on the external speakers sounding awesome. They're fine enough to listen to movie dialogue, music pushes it too much, crackles, breaks up. Speakers are decent enough I guess. Speakerphone is horrible though with volume. Wonderful device though.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.