(UK) Yellow tint on 2nd hand 27" iMac.....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by will0407, Apr 14, 2010.

1. will0407 macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I've got a 27" iMac 3.06ghz. Was originally purchased via an apple reseller in February this year. I am the 2nd owner, however I have the original sales receipt.

The screen definitely has a yellow tint at the bottom (used the grey bars test from the imac section).

If I book an appointment at my local apple store, will they take it in and replace the screen or give me a replacement imac?

Any info would be appreciated
    thanks.

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Does not matter if you are the second owner or not. They should help you out regardless. Just want to be sure the previous owner never opened the machine up.

3. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, they 100% never opened up the machine. I might give them a ring tomorrow and see what they say. I have no other computer so unless they're willing to do a swap I may have to live with it for the time being.

4. zerolight macrumors 6502

zerolight

I don't think apple ever acknowledged that the yellow tint was a defect. I think the vast majority of the 27s have a yellow tint ranging from very slight to very strong. Mine has it very slight. So does every itouch I've seen.

5. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

They did because they were offering people refunds + 15% rather than a replacement not long ago. I phoned up apple and they knew this was an issue and said I could have the screen replaced free. I would have preferred a refund and then would have bought a 21.5" but I may just get it replaced.

6. dashcs macrumors regular

Apple is now not classifying yellow iMac as DOA.(Dead on Arrival)

I bet even though your the owner,the receipt is pass 14 days.
    So you can't get it replace.
    However Apple does offer one time exception for replacement the screen for yellow display concerns.
    So if you do go to a Apple store,they can replace the LCD screen screen

7. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, i was offered a free replacement screen fitting, but I have no other computer and can't be without it for a week. It doesn't bother me a huge deal, but i'm just thinking of the resale value when i sell it on.