UK's 'The Gadget Show' refuses to rate iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cujimmy, Aug 2, 2010.

1. cujimmy macrumors member

Channel 5's 'The Gadget Show' has reviewed the iPhone 4 and, although it came over quite well, they have refused to give it a "G" rating due to the antenna and proximity sensor issues.

Seems like the problem just isn't going away... This really can't be good for Apple's PR and is just going to make people question the iPhone and start to consider other phones.

2. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

apple already addressed this. theyre giving away a stupid case and keeping the form rather than function

3. Macjames macrumors 6502a

On an unrelated note, does anybody else really hate the gadget show? I cannot stand the blatant knock off of the top gear format. I mean the whole idea is to have likeable presenters (Suzzy Perry excluded of course :D) but they come across as smug arrogant bum cheeks. Horrible show.

back on track, the 'problem' will not just go away so quickly. It will haunt the iPhone 4 until the next revision.

4. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

5. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

The gadget show is awesome!! Suzy perry wearing leather pants makes it more special :D

6. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'd bet there's some "link bait" in their decision.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The thing that annoys me about this (and Consumer Reports) is that they're SUPPOSED to measure stuff like this.

They compare screen brightness & contrast, phone weight, battery life, call quality, touch screen sensitivity, processor speed, browswer rendering times...and many, many other things.

But now, suddenly, they just give up and say that this one is "bad?" Why can't they add a "db drop when holding" category and measure all phones and compare the numbers? So what if the iPhone 4 is worse? Shouldn't we have the ability to see their tests and see how much worse?

Why are they even in business if not to do stuff like this? Have they ever come across a phone with a bad battery and just said "yeah, this ones the worst so we're just not gonna measure the battery on any other phone." What's the point of rating things if you're not going to acutally, you know, rate them?

(I haven't seen this gadget show, so I may be off base here. But it sure SOUNDS like they're doing exactly what Consumer Reports did and are just giving a 'thumbs down' to this issue without giving us any context.)

8. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

Yeah the thing is it's really not worth getting worked up about the Gadget Show -- their "testing" of things is hilariously bad usually, or at least just plain subjective. They'll do a feature comparing three big-screen TVs for instance, and the "test" consists of them sitting in front of them and saying saying "Yes, the Panasonic has a better picture". To which you want to ask: "OK. In what way better? Better at coping with fast moving action? Better in terms of contrast ratio?" But you can't, because they've moved on to another closeup of Suzy Perry wearing a tight-fitting top.

Not that that's altogether a bad thing of course...

9. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Just taking their cues from Consumer Reports. ;)

10. Jonmurgie macrumors member

I know more people now with an iPhone 4 then ever before... these are their first iPhones and they love them... the issue is STILL being blown out of proportion IMO.

Suzy Perry though... phwoar!!

11. calb macrumors 6502

It's more of an entertainment show filled with subjectivity than a precise, factually accurate and objective reviewing platform. I find it cringeworthy, but some people enjoy it. It's certainly not something that will bother Apple like Consumer Reports might have.

Suzi Perry is a bit old for me anyway.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I had a feeling this show might not have been the most serious thing.

Really, I just wanted to complain about CR and I missed the 463 threads on that so I figured this was a good place to do it.

:cool:

13. RossMacca macrumors member

They generally don't know what they're talking about. The older guy especially bugs the **** out of me.

At the end of the day, they're only saying this because it's all of a sudden "cool" to moan about this reception issue which is barely an issue in the first place. Bloody media.

14. Monkeymonkey macrumors newbie

I like when they list all of the items in their giveaway, and it takes 20 minutes to do so. They also talk faster and faster as the list goes on. Haha.

15. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

I used to before they started getting a bit too egocentric. And I'm not being, it's hardly about the gadgets any more. I'lll stick to Click - at least that's more current.

16. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

It's that part of the show when I'm glad I Sky+'d it and can FFW

17. McBeats macrumors 6502a

this phone is still amazing, dont care what anyone rates it... :D:D:D

18. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Yeah the men are pig ugly freaks....it would be better with some hot male eye candy..

19. vito macrumors 6502a

lol do people actually watch that show as mentioned in this thread their testing methods and whole approach is comical at best. If folk are soly going to base their purchase by what they hear on the G Show then the they're not really doing themselves any favours.

You're going to be more concerned about what your friend or family member thinks of the iPhone rather than what is nothing more than a dramatised and well scripted performance.

It's on Channel 5, says it all really!!

20. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

The gadget show used to be good, but now it's just cringeworthy. A lot of the time they review useless gadgets that noone would ever really use, and the presenters have just got terrible.

Also the prices are just ebay money, they often give you more then one of everything. You get about 3 phones, 2 TV's, two Laptops, one with a years paid subsciption to a 3g broadband, then you get your Sky TV and broadband, two cameras, etc. It's just silly and throwing money away.

21. Schweitzer macrumors regular

So is the iP4's antenna and proximity sensor -> perfect match!

22. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Ah, the Gadget Show.

Apple must be fuming to have lost 3 whole customers due to this episode.

23. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Who cares? It's just a phone. Mine works great. Now I can emulate the fan boys..... :)

24. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

25. chdwil macrumors regular

Apparently no one cares what the iPhone 4 shortcomings are, except for the people and companies that can make money bashing it.