Ultimate 13" Air vs. 2.2 15" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by fruitycups, Jul 30, 2011.

1. fruitycups macrumors 6502

If you guys had one choice with no option to buy a complement machine, would you choose a 8gb high res 2.2 15" (with no ssd though) or a ultimate air?

2. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

I have both of those machines only my 15" has an apple SSD. Its tough, really depends on what you do with it. The 15" is a true desktop replacement. I got a 10,000 geekbench score on it vs a 6000 on the air so you decide. If it was my only machine I would get the 15" but either would be ok. If you travel more than get the 13.

3. fruitycups thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the answer! the portability factor is very attractive but if the sacrifice in power is TOO much than the 15" might be the way to go.

is the difference in editing, importing, etc etc EXTREMELY noticable between the two?

4. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

Yes, the reason is the ram. I have 8gb in my 15 but could go 16gb if I really needed it. The air is stuck at 4gb so that will make the difference. Grab the 15. You will love it. Or wait for the next refresh in a few months and get the best of both worlds.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

Might the 13" Pro with the 2.7GHz Core i7 and 8GB upgrade be a better choice for you? It still lacks the discrete GPU, but the processor would be closer to the 2.2GHz quad-core in the 15".

What programs do you plan to run, and would you be planning to get the SSD upgrade for the Pro? If you do serious photo editing, the Pro would be a better choice. If you do occasional editing, the i7 in the 13" Air or even the i5 would be adequate, though noticeably slower than the Pro.

6. Atk. macrumors newbie

I had the same dilemma. I am going to university this year and i really wanted something portable. What we don't realize is how portable the MBPs are compared to the other notebooks in the market. Still it is rather heavy. I keep flip-flopping on what to get... but right now im set on 13" MBA for its all around performance/battery life.