Ultimate Display Poll

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Callumbear845, Oct 27, 2011.

?

If you were to buy a MacBook Pro today, what display would you get?

1. 13.3" Glossy 1280 x 800

8 vote(s)
    8.4%
  2. 15.4" Glossy 1440 x 900

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  3. 15.4" Glossy High Resolution 1680 x 1050

25 vote(s)
    26.3%
  4. 15.4" Anti Glare High Resolution 1680 x 1050

44 vote(s)
    46.3%
  5. 17" Glossy High Resolution 1920 x 1200

8 vote(s)
    8.4%
  6. 17" Anti Glare High Resolution 1920 x 1200

6 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Callumbear845 macrumors member

This poll is to determine the most popular display that the MacBook Pro offers today.

2. simsaladimbamba

Size, glare, anti-glare, resolution, panel?

Where is the poll?

Btw, this is not the ultimate poll, as the sample of the people answering is not random and doesn't reflect the average MBP users.

3. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Depends on your usage too, I guess, though I would go for the hi-res anti-glare personally

4. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

The average MBP user does not care about the display and goes to retail Apple stores or the nearest Best Buy to get the base models, most likely the 13".
    Random sampling would get like 100,000 votes for the 1280x800 eyesore.

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Personally, I'd go for the 15-inch HR-AG model.

6. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

I don't understand the poll... :confused:

On the 13" model you have no choice. For all others it basically comes down to glare vs. anti-glare. Why not just ask who prefers glare/anti glare? On second thought don't ask... there's a gazillion posts here on that very topic.

Besides... I think 13" users vs. 17" are 2 distinct camps and have different needs. (i.e., you pick the size first, then display options).

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I think I'm just about to...

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Doesn't matter. OP said most popular. Popular and best aren't necessarily the same thing.

9. Meever macrumors 6502a

I don't like the matte finishwhen I had it. It looked washed out to me for some reason. I would personally get the high res glossy.

10. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Then there is no poll necessary. The 13" MBP sells more than the 15" or the 17".

11. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

It's ok. Quite vivid actually but man... look out if you have any kind of light behind you.

Any display you can use to shave with is just to reflective IMO.

12. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I can't shave by looking at my glossy hi-res at all. The only way is if I open Photo Booth.

My theory is that the bigger the glossy screen, the more noticeable the reflections are. That's why I can tolerate glossy 13" (disregard resolution) and 15", but not the 17".

13. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I currently have the 11" MBA. But what I want is the 15" MBP HiRes anti glare screen. I was just in the store yesterday drooling over it.

When the iMac is on it's last legs I want to go to the 15" and an iPad what ever is out then. To me that seems like the perfect setup.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Damn I want to get a new MacBook Pro now that you mentioned it… Like I really need that 2.5GHz processor!

15. gregoryv macrumors newbie

my experience

I spent a month reading up on all the new mac laptops. Once I narrowed it down to a macbook pro (as opposed to macbook air), I decided to go to the store and spend about an hour doing the same exact thing on every laptop (minus the 17 inch). So I went on the internet, viewed some youtube videos, and some photos (generally wildlife and nature that were already in the iphoto library on all the machines). Ok, so right away I was amazed at how much glare/reflection there were on all the glossy macbook pros. The lighting in the store is terrible overhead flourescent lights. I moved over to the 15 inch MBP anti glare and I was quite amazed at how the glare was completely gone, and the picture quality was amazing. I didn't enjoy the gray outline as much as the black, but Im coming from a powerbook g4, 15inch, and so it didn't bother me. Maybe I'm biased because the pb has a matte screen? So after I looked at the ag 15inch I went over to the macbook airs. They were somewhere in the middle of the glossy mbp and the antiglare mbp. I was kind of amazing at how amazing the macbook air felt, looked, etc. If I wanted something more portable, and didn't want something to last a very long time (I want to be able to add RAM, swap hard drives (hdd and ssd), and the macbook, as far as I know, you can't). So in the end I felt like my only reasonable choice was the 15 inch mbp with higher res/antiglare. And the more I looked at the ag screen the more I realized that the ag was a more truthful representation of what you're looking at. The glossy seems too flashy, and honestly just doesn't make sense. The reflections/glare were just terrible. I knew right away that buying them wasn't even an option for me, it hurt my eyes, and frustrated me right away. I hope this helps someone. I guess my concluding remark is to go to the store to see for yourself. I know this was one condition/situation, but it spoke volumes to me about many situations I would come to encounter once I bought it. In fact, I went home and ordered the mbp 15 inch with high res/ag that night. It's on it's way. I think the battle between ag/glossy is a larger argument against accuracy and truth versus flashiness and appeal to the senses? The ag seems so crisp and refined, simple and humble? Anyway, good luck with whatever any of you choose. Now's a good time if you like this current style and the optical drive (whether it's for the actual drive or a hdd/ssd). The base 15mbp seemed like it got the biggest boost for this refresh. Happy mac'ing all.

----------

in the store the other day I was seriously considering either a mba or the 15 inch mbp antiglare. all the mbp glossy screens were immediately out of the question. so i went home and ordered the newest refresh of the 15 mbp w ag. if I didn't have an imac mounted on my wall, I would go with the new 15 inch as my home/desktop replacement, and go for the 11 inch mba (or maybe the 13). the mba's are gorgeous. the display is so nice.....slightly reflective, but much more similar to the ag than the glossy. I don't know how anyone can enjoy those.

16. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I do quite a bit of gaming, so having 30% more pixels to push is not ideal. I can live with a lower resolution screen in OS X. I do wish they would release an antiglare standard resolution display.

17. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

What I would really like is a 15" with a 1920x1200 IPS panel and RGBLED backlight.

18. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

19. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

You should add some "I wish there was" resolutions.

Like for me...
    13" Antiglare and 13" 1440x900 (MBA)
    15" 1440x900 anti-glare

20. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Anti glare for me. I'm in grad school....I live on my computer. Honestly I don't see how anyone can say the colors are washed out in the anti glare. I compared both types side by side before I bought my computer. Barely a perceivable difference, if any. Maybe there used to be but the quality of the matte finish on the brand new mb pros is outstanding, in both terms of glare elimination and color.

21. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I'd get the stock 1440x900 glossy, I wish I had the 1650x1050 matte.

22. tim100 macrumors 65816

iam surprised regarding the lack of votes for the 17 mbp.