Ultimate Earbuds UB5?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Sumtime19, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Sumtime19 macrumors member

Anyone have any experience with these? I want a better experience then the apple earbuds but don't want to pay that much. These are $50 and have a mic.. does anyone have them?

Hows the bass? Can you define the highs? Mic quality? Is it comfortable? Any isolation? And last but not least were you overall satisfied with it?

2. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

I have them,
    Bass is decent
    Highs are good - overall sound quality is very crisp.
    Isolation is pretty good, they are comfortable for the most part but the housings having this textured metal (same casing as vibe duos) which can bother your ear if they're not setting right. Mic is OK..
    I'm very very satisfied with them.

3. Jonathanoee macrumors newbie

Got them yesterday.

I dont like them so much. I´m a little disappointed actually.

-The bass is very bad, but with bass-boast on its more ok, but still far from perfect.

-The sound is not so good, to digital and to crisp hard, no soul. Apple orginal headphones have a better softer sound.

-You get alot of "scratch" noise when touching the cables, or when the cables touches your shirt for example. Very irritating.

-The microphone seems to work fine though, according to the people I talked with today.

-Overall I dont like to put plastic inside my ear, feels like your ear is full of wax. But I suppose I get used to this feeling soon.

4. Ryanhdd macrumors regular

I have them also, I got them about a week after having the iphone 3g. They are OK. I had some sony in ears like these that just broke that i loved.(of-course they did not have a mic but they sounded good)(i will try to update the model later) I feel that the ub5's are just uncomfortable and well kinda lack a lot. They just do not put the warmness in the mix. They do lack bass and well with bass boost up this kinda helps, but the main thing that bass depends on with these type of ear phones are how good of a seal they have with your ears. They do not do a good job of blocking out other noise either. They came with three different size ear buds and well the smaller ones are not as durable as the larger ones and they do not fit on the metal housing very well, this is hard to explain, its like the smaller ones are not made with a lot of rubber and do not hold on to the metal housing well. All in all they are better than the apple ones, but not by much, i am in the market for better ones.

5. bk888 macrumors newbie

I have these and the bass is actually fine. It's not super powerful so if you want major boom-boom you're better off with something else. But the bass is actually plenty powerful with the right eartips.

I ended up having to cannibalize the eartips off of my Skullcandys and experienced a massive improvement to bass strength. For some reason, the soft eartips provided with the UB5s just doesn't work well for good bass for me. My best guess is that the UB5 eartips compress the air channel too much and that interferes with the audio quality.

I haven't had this problem with any other ear buds so I've got to believe that there's some kind of drawback to the design.

6. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

I second the earbud replacement, it seems the UB5s are actually really good, but the rubber tips that they put on suck. I used the ones from my old creative headphones, and although they appear nearly identical to the UB5 rubber eartips, the bass was DRAMATICALLY imporoved. UltimateBuds needs to upgrade their rubber eartips b/c they do not give sufficient bass in my opinion. The headphones are great though! Great sound, AND BASS now that I replaced the rubber parts.

7. SilverWings Guest

I must say that I am very impressed with these! I removed the stock rubber tips and put on some Shure E2 foam tips and the difference is simple amazing! Thanks to these tips the UB5's produce a very nicely balanced sound.
    I've also tested them with Comply Foam T400 tips, but those tips produce too much bass for my taste. However, if you like the "boom-boom" kind of music, I would definitely recommend those.
    Another very satisfied UB5 user.

8. Bleh5 macrumors regular

Anyone else have problems with the plastic cover on the button coming off? It's happened to me twice already; the first tim, UB replaced the set for me since the cover was lost; luckily I was able to find the cover when it snapped off the second time.