Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ultimate Ears today announced a new addition to its speaker lineup, debuting the Wonderboom 2, an update to its original Wonderboom speaker. The Wonderboom 2 features the same compact design as the first Wonderboom speaker, but with several internal enhancements.

Ultimate Ears designed the Wonderboom 2 with louder sound, extra bass, and a new Outdoor Boost mode that amps up the volume when you're outdoors. There's also a new Double Up true stereo pairing mode if you have two of the Wonderboom 2 models.

ultimateearswonderboomlineup-800x268.jpg

The speaker now has an IP67 rating, up from IPX7, so it's now resistant to both dust and water so long as the port over the charger is closed up. Like other Ultimate Ears speakers, the Wonderboom 2 floats so you can use it in the pool.

ultimateearswonderboom2-800x683.jpg

There's a larger battery in the Wonderboom 2 so it now lasts for 13 hours before needing to be recharged, so you can use it all day.

ultimateearswonderboomunderwater-800x560.jpg

A button at the top lets you play, pause, and skip tracks right on the speaker itself, and the button also enables the Double Up and Outdoor Modes.

ultimateearswonderboom3-800x660.jpg

Design wise, the Wonderboom 2 is made from a two-tone knit fabric and it comes in a variety of colors including Deep Space Black, Crushed Ice, Radical Red, Bermuda Blue, and Just Peach. Ultimate Ears also has a special gray and white camo edition coming exclusively to Apple Stores starting in June.

ultimateearswonderboom4-800x683.jpg

The new Wonderboom 2 speaker is available today in select countries in Europe and it's available for pre-order in the U.S. from the Ultimate Ears website. It's priced at $99.

Article Link: Ultimate Ears Launches New Wonderboom 2 Speaker

allenvanhellen

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2015
I won’t buy anything with a non-standard inaccessible battery, until battery chemistry technology advances beyond 300-500 charge cycles until death and products fare better than 5 years before obsolescence and repair unavailability.

Reactions: chsx

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
I won’t buy anything with a non-standard inaccessible battery, until battery chemistry technology advances beyond 300-500 charge cycles until death and products fare better than 5 years before obsolescence and repair unavailability.

How many waterproof speakers have replaceable batteries?

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
The original already had too much bass bleeding into the midrange. Try listening to a podcast with just voice and it’s annoyingly boomy.

Astro7x

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2010
I bought the original Wonderboom for $50 around Black Friday last year. Great little speaker for what I paid for it. Never knew it could float in water, don't know if I want to try it...

Reactions: GrumpyMom

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
Make speakers great again!

It says water resistant, but then shows it floating in a pool? Is this like the JBL Boombox that you can toss in the pool?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
The Wonderboom 2 is of political nature… I guess the MacRumors editors had a long day, quite understandable with today’s announcements :)

I think it's more related to social issues then politics.

Listening to a speaker as it's placed into a pool (original post picture) has to say something about our society at large :).

I imagine there are still people who get triggered by it.

In my opinion, I'll stick with better sounding speakers even if I can't have them floating in a pool.

Mousse

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Catholic/Christian endorsed speakers :eek::p:D
I'm a Catholic, but even I don't understand why we like the cross so much.:confused: If the Lawd Jeezus were to appear to me and ask, "What part of my story makes you think I like crosses?" I would have no answer.:oops:

Maybe we should start using the heart hand sign to show we're Christians.:D:D:D
deb.gif

code-m

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2006
I'm a Catholic, but even I don't understand why we like the cross so much.:confused: If the Lawd Jeezus were to appear to me and ask, "What part of my story makes you think I like crosses?" I would have no answer.:oops:

Maybe we should start using the heart hand sign to show we're Christians.:D:D:D
deb.gif

Using a heart would be better symbol moving forward, however the cross symbolized sacrifice and persecution. How about a hug symbol instead, one may love someone however may not like them, or vice versa.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I bought the original Wonderboom for $50 around Black Friday last year. Great little speaker for what I paid for it. Never knew it could float in water, don't know if I want to try it...

I've got a couple of Wonderbooms we keep on the side of our hot tub. They've fallen in a dozen times or so over the past year. We bought these speakers just for this feature in case one falls in. They work fine after falling in, never had an issue.

Juiceboy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
lots of fun to throw around and use in my Spa. The speakers won't actually work underwater, and only so so when they are floating in the water. I'd say normally it's 60-70% submerged when floating, which is a fair reason why the quality dives. But above water they are great and not afraid of splashes or going for a dip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.