Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10vi $99 @ Amazon

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GoCubsGo, Dec 4, 2009.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Amazon Link
    This is not my sale, it's just a tip that the Ultimate Ears 10vi are on sale at Amazon today for $99. If I didn't have and love my Apple in-ears I'd snatch these up myself.

And yes, I said snatch.

2. Perrumpo macrumors 68000

Perrumpo

Yeah, saw this on Slick Deals.

Certainly a great deal, but I don't think I could do noise canceling earbuds. I only use earbuds when I'm out and about, and I like to be able to hear what's going on around me. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid... I blame the Army training, hahah. I like to know my surroundings.

3. maelstromr macrumors 6502

maelstromr

Not paranoid at all...depending on where you live a little I guess, but that's a very responsible and reasonable way to think. something people looking at ear buds should keep in mind in big cities...not just about getting attacked but also traffic, sirens, etc.

4. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I use in ear, custom fitted headphones (not active noise reduction mind you just total sealing)and have never had a problem with situational awareness. It saves my hearing from not only ambient noise but the damage turning normal headphones up does when you are trying to hear through them over that ambient noise. If anything I think I pay more attention with them in...maybe because of the difference in feel from normal street noise.

No headphones I have seen available are going to keep you from hearing a siren...ANR or not.

5. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

In ears are perfect for airplanes. That's when I normally use mine. I will use them when biking on a trail where there is no auto-traffic.

6. maelstromr macrumors 6502

maelstromr

Of course each to his own, but people need to assess their personal safety/awareness levels carefully. It's well documented that wearing headphones while walking alone already increases your attractiveness as a robbery etc target, so something that might interfere with your awareness further is a concern.

7. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Like I said...it's only a handicap if you make it one. I take reasonable steps to protect myself( pay attention better than most, am armed, and don't play music so loud I can't hear at all even with the sealing headphones. Wearing earplugs or sealing headphones can actually allow you to hear BETTER in loud ambient enviroments as it blocks annoying sounds more than useful things like voice etc. Try wearing earplugs in a loud bar/club/subway and see how much better you can hear people talking to you. I believe the only people they would handicap are those who aren't paying attention to begin with. As an added practical bonus that I hope is never needed and I know many of the raging libs here will mock is hearing protection if I DO ever have to defend myself with the firearm. Even with sealed plugs I can hear enough to pay attention...you cannot block out all noise with earphones unless you are playing your music at ridiculous levels. You can pick out just as many people oblivious to their surroundings without headphones on as you can with. It's all about how you behave. If you are getting snuck up on because you can't hear someone you are either doing it wrong or they are a ninja ;)

8. Perrumpo macrumors 68000

Perrumpo

I bought two if only to re-sell.

ABout the noise isolation, I don't play music very loudly when I'm walking around, but they still are noise-isolating headphones. It's not like the only danger to you will be loud enough to be heard through them. And I wouldn't be counting on a gun. :rolleyes:

9. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I knew it would only take a few minutes in this forum. You are free to not depend on whatever you wish. I will not mock your decisions as you have mine.

10. maelstromr macrumors 6502

maelstromr

I don't think it's a liberal mockery to say your idea that you can listen to music on super high quality sound ISOLATING headphones and be *more* aware of everything around you, and cover the rest with a gun, is a pretty bad security philosophy. I love gun rights - 2nd amendment woo! - though I would never carry a hand gun and never be so foolish to think it protected me from a smash and grab robbery/assault on the street at night.

Or avoid getting run-down by one of those damned self-righteous hippie tree hugging SILENT hybirds.

11. Perrumpo macrumors 68000

Perrumpo

For anyone interested, although these have sold out on Amazon, they are the same price on Logitech's website.

harperjones99, you misunderstood. I wasn't mocking your decision. My point was simply that you can't expect everyone to have a gun to depend on... or any other means of defending themselves.... or that it would prevent an attack.

12. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

You read me wrong...I am not using a firearm to "cover" the rest and I know the political leanings here will have people telling me I am "wrong" because they can't mind their own business. I am saying I believe the ambient noise isolation provided by wearing them does not reduce my situational awareness in loud environments and actually helps. You do not have to go around rocking out all the time nor do you have to be swiveling around drawing down on everything like Tackleberry to be paying attention. I am also pretty sure I have more knowledge, training and experience on the subject than most of the membership here.

13. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Fair enough...the rolling eyes thing made it sound so. And yeah a weapon is not the primary prevention for an attack. The mindset you should have while carrying one (or even when not really) does most of the prevention that is possible.

I apologize if I overreacted based on the politics I have seen here so often. Again the rolling eyes thing changes the tone a lot and made it look like you were rolling your eyes at being armed.

14. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

the normal triple.fis are $99 on logitech's site...but the 10vi (the one with the mic) is not discounted, as it was on amazon's deal of the day.

15. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ Exactly. I rarely post a deal if I don't think it's that good. I knew these were an amazing deal.

16. Perrumpo macrumors 68000

Perrumpo

Yeah, I think all of the people on SD saying how cheap they are on eBay now are just jealous that they didn't get this deal, hah. I'm sure prices on eBay will bounce back up once all of the people looking to make a quick buck on them have sold theirs.

Amazon must not have had many in stock. Mine aren't due to ship until next month.

17. fr33 loader macrumors regular

Thanks for the heads up, it was a really nice deal.

18. David G. macrumors 65816

Back in Stock--Save 75% on Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 Earphones

Amazon just brought the Triplefi 10's down to $99 because the 10vi's sold out. I think they're out on the Logitech website as well, but I'm not sure. Thanks jessica for the heads up, I just snatched up this pair from the amazing Amazon.

19. Perrumpo macrumors 68000

Perrumpo

Actually, both versions were $99 on Amazon this morning. The 10vi's were going in and out of stock, but I managed to buy a third pair when they briefly came into stock again... even though I can't afford to, lol.

20. TKEik683 macrumors member

I purchased a pair this morning, I cant wait to try them out!

SLICK DEAL!

21. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

there will be a ton of these on ebay right after xmas -- offer the sellers $99 then =)

22. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

For $99 that was a crazy deal, still couldn't justify it though...