Ultimate in MacBook Protection

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ahheck01, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Ahheck01 macrumors 6502

We're investing in two Macbooks for our startup iPhone iTouch app development business, and we're much more concerned about protecting our investment than the aesthetic aspect, so I'd like to go overkill in terms of protection.

I like the Invisible Shield concept - is there a neoprene or plastic or rubber casing that can make the macbook even more clumsy idiot-proof? What is the best in terms of protection that people have experienced?

Thanks guys!

-Evan

PS) On a side note, is it reasonable to expect new Macbooks in the next two weeks? If not, I'll probably pull the trigger in a week. Also, what's apple's policy on returns of products purchase just prior to an update?

2. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nobody knows of a rugged macbook case/skin/etc solution?

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get yourself a Pelican case. Will be indestructible.

You could just get insurance.

4. originalcliche macrumors member

Yeah futureshop in canada ... I assume bestbuy in the states ... sells a hard shell case in a variety of covers for like 49.99.... looks decent too..

5. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I have no comment on the cases, but as to returning/exchanging, Apple will accept returns up to 14 days following the purchase date, but you will face a 10% restocking fee if the packaging is opened.

6. dual64bit macrumors 6502

Malware makes the keyboard and trackpad protector, which you might also want since most find the keyboard and palm rest to become discolored on the white macbooks.

7. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good info, thanks!

Marware? Malware is bad software on your computer. ;)

I do like that suggestion - though I was thinking of doing a clear skin on the whole computer, topped by an incase shell, topped by a sleeve, if possible.

What do you guys think about this three-layer system:

1) A clear skin such as Zagg Invisible Shield - $55

2) A hard shell, most likely a black InCase hard shell - $50

3) A strong, sturdy, compact carrying case/sleeve/etc. (still researching) made for the 13" Macbook.

Thoughts? Would the skin make it too big for the incase shell, and would the incase shell make it too big for a specifically made carrying bag/case/sleeve?

-Evan

8. surfdog_2005 macrumors member

Haven't got a laptop (I hope to if the new notebooks are released soon :D), but I purchased an Invisible Shield from Zagg for my iPod some time ago. It was terrible. It didn't fit properly and the ends kept curling up. I sent it back and they honored their guarantee. I purchased an Incase neoprene case instead and love it. Based on my experience, I won't choose an Invisible Shield when I get my Macbook.

9. jampat macrumors 6502a

Paying over $100 to protect a $1300 computer from scratches is too much for me. Will the added protection help, yes it will, will it make the computer last almost 10% longer? I doubt it. If a laptop is not in a bag and it drops it will likely be somewhat busted (unless you go with a toughbook). I would rather just update to newer computers more often. If aesthetics really matter to you, then maybe all this protection is worthwhile.

10. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

I'd go with a moshi palmguard before a marware protection pack. my marware PP hasn't held up to well. The moshi PG seems to be made of a more durable material.