Ultimate Nitpicker Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGoat, Mar 14, 2011.

1. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

I've had two base 13" i5s, as you all must know, well after a fresh boot the old one used to open Chrome in one bounce, but the new one needs two or three bounces. I've used Chrome extensively on the new one so it should be in the system memory, but what gives? The Geekbench scores are similar.

2. sdneidich macrumors member

Why are you using chrome? Safari on OS X is more smooth, and almost as fast. Try using your MBP a bit longer and re-attempting the test.

3. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

You think over time it'll open in one bounce? An SSD is definitely the solution, but just curious why two Hitachi mechanical hard drives launch apps at different speeds.

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Not all drives are made equal, even if their numbers say so. There could be a variety of factors. Best thing to do is to not worry about it. If it bothers you so much, just go for the SSD.

5. solaris7 macrumors regular

6. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

I've got the same machine though I use Safari and I do have a SSD installed. I usually have it bounce once, then as it comes down the program will launch. I guess I could install Chrome and see how that works but I hate Chrome - I use Safari on my Mac at home and my PC at work.

7. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah Safari is one bounce, i5 or C2D. This is a drive question, but I remember people were using it as a measure of processor speed.

8. xxjudgmentxx macrumors member

+1

Does the extra second really bother you? I wouldn't worry about it.

9. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Idk, it definitely feels less snappy than the previous model. The Geekbench scores are comparable, I suspect it's the hard drive.

10. c1phr macrumors 6502

The physical location of the application on the disk could be the issue as well. There is likely nothing wrong with the machine at all. Chrome take 3 bounces on first launch for me as well on the 2010.

11. rossmadden macrumors member

agreed.

what could you have done with the extra second? I get why you've started the thread, but thats really pedantic.

12. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I have a SSD, and Chrome opens before the first bounce is done. I'm still on Firefox 3.6, though. Chrome can't handle the number of tabs I like to have open, and Firefox 4 RC feels about 10x more bloated (using tons of RAM and constantly hitting 100% CPU and beachballing. Anything in the UI is painfully slow, especially dragging tabs between windows).

13. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

I find Chrome to be way smoother (along with being much faster) then any version of Safari thus far.

14. c1phr macrumors 6502

Should we even bring in the security factor from Pwn2Own last week? :p