Ultimate PowerBook G4 Q&A

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gavinstubbs09, Mar 8, 2014.

1. gavinstubbs09, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014

gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

This is just to give people an idea to fix simple problems with their Aluminum PowerBooks with some things I found that help out and work well. Think of this as the start to a :apple: PBG4 super Q&A!

Keyboard Backlight Bleed
    When I first got this thing, the backlight bleed was horrendous. I think someone had tried to take the keyboard out separately and didn't apply the black shield correctly over some gaps.

Solution: Electrical Tape
    Just apply tape over the gaps in the casing.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hot Temperatures and Loud Fans
    This one started when I was installing software, and thinking the speakers were making this humming sound. Turns out to be the fans spinning as fast as the little suckers could go, and you could nearly melt your legs off with the amount of heat coming off the bottom.

Solution: Thermal Paste
    This stuff usually works wonders, and it did here too. I had one of those 20g sticks of Artic Silver 5. The stock thermal paste was pretty much baked into place, and not all that efficient for heat migrating to the heatsink. The GPU seemed to use gobs of it. WD40 takes the old stuff off like how a hot knife melts butter. Super smooth! Use a cloth to clean it up, paper towel/toilet paper make a mess.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Backlight not Staying Lit When You Want it To
    This bugged me as the PowerBooks are not as nice when it comes to keyboard backlighting settings. I would want the keyboard to stay lit at 100% however it would dim, and if I adjust it, the ambient light sensors would re-adjust it. The only other option would to put tape either over the sensors themselves or over the speakers, which I don't want to do.

Solution: Lab Tick
    This program overrides the settings, and you can make the keyboard brightness 100% or 90% or anything like that, at 12pm or 3am. This program prevents the ambient sensor from re-adjusting to whatever it likes.

Will update with more pictures and resize them down soon :) If you have some tricks/tips be sure to share!

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

None of this (keyboard illumination) works on your PowerBook?

Or is it a matter of you want it at a certain brightness all the time?

I ask because I can adjust mine to be on at a certain brightness (no matter the ambient light) using the functions keys.

I have two 17" PowerBooks though so maybe that's the difference?

3. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Something I notice that my MacBook Pros never did was I could turn off the automatic adjustment of the brightness for the keyboard and set it to whatever I want. I notice on here the only option I get is to turn it on or off completely. My problem was when I wanted it bright the ALS liked to make it a bit dim for my liking!

I can adjust the brightness and on/off with the keys, but the ALS likes to override that and go back to what it wants to use.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, but that's what I'm saying. You can turn the adjustment by the ALS off for the keyboard illumination and then just adjust it manually using the F-keys.

I tend to let the ALS control it but I have done it the way I describe without the app you linked to.

I'm not saying that it's not a great app, I'm just not seeing a need for it on my PowerBooks. But the fact that the app exists means that maybe what I'm doing doesn't work for others?

5. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

So here on my desk I have my MBP and my G4. Turn on the "room" (just to keep this separate from the keyboard) light, the G4 backlighting turns all the way off. The MacBook Pro is still lit and didn't get any dimmer.

The G4, with this room light on I cannot turn on the backlight. Lab Tick overrides this and I can turn on the backlight while the room light is on. My MBP, with the room light on does not adjust to the light conditions like the G4.

That's what is bugging me, and Lab Tick keeps the backlight on no matter the light amount.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

OK. I get that. I'm not having any issues. I can have lights on, or sit by a sunny window and have the backlight on, adjusting with the F keys without LabTick.

I'm just wondering what the difference is between our two models that forces you to have to use LabTick while I don't.

Cool app by the way. Glad you found it.

7. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

WD40...I sure hope you really removed all the grease that it leaves behind! I fear that could easily destroy the CPU/GPU if you aren't extremely careful. Isopropyl 90%+ works better and is much safer IMO.:)

8. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Wired mystery that's for sure!

I only use WD40 cause it's cool watching it liquify! I probably use it on more things than I should. I spent a good amount of time making sure the surfaces were dry, and I can assure you they are :)