Ultimate Reliability with SSD, HDD, Time Machine, Time Capsule and CCC.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mstgkillr, May 26, 2012.

1. mstgkillr, May 26, 2012
    Last edited: May 26, 2012

mstgkillr macrumors regular

After my recent Crucial M4 256GB SSD failure, I am trying to setup up my MacBook Pro to be extreemly reliable by using a new SSD, factory 750GB HDD, Time Machine, 3 TB Time Capsule, and CCC.

I am new to this but this is what I am thinking...
    Install the SSD in the normal location and install the factory 750GB HDD in place of the superdrive using the OWC Data Doubler.

Once everything is installed, completly erase both drives, reinstall Lion on the SSD. Then create two partitions on the 750GB HDD, one for movies, music, pictures, etc... and the second partition as a clone of the SSD.

Then I would use CCC to automaticly clone a copy of the SSD to the HDD. This way if the SSD failed again I could just boot straight from the HDD with zero down time.

Finally, I would use Time Machine to backup both the SSD and the HDD to the 3TB Time Capsule.

Does this sound like it would work, or is there an easier/better way? I already have the equipment, so that isn't an issue.

2. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

I never really understood the point of using time machine if you have CCC, but thats exactly what I do (except my external is also a CCC clone rather that a TM backup).

EDIT: didn't see that you were using Time Capsule, so yeah thats probably the best way to do things

3. mstgkillr thread starter macrumors regular

I like the idea of having automatic wireless backups with Time Maching using the Time Capsule. I am under the impression in order to use CCC, you have to be connected and can't do it over wifi. I know it's sad but if I have to plug something in it won't get done.

Since my SSD is 256GB, should I make the partition on the HDD for the SSD backup 256GB also? This would leave me around 494GB for the second partition for movies, music, photos.

So clone SSD to internal HDD with CCC but how should I back everything up to the Time Capsule over wifi.

What happens if CCC and Time Capsule are trying to backup at the same time?

4. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

My personal preference is to keep somewhat of an archive, so I actually have 100GB dedicated to the backup of my 40 GB drive... Id give it at least a little extra space (maybe 260GB) to prevent performance issues. As for both running at once, I have no idea as I confirm mine manually.

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

If they backup at the same time, sys performance will be a bit reduced. The SSD can easily handle. The first time will take a long time but incremental updates usually don't take all that long if they are done often enough.
    Set CCC to 1 hour how much new data can you aquire.
    Also make sure to exclude temporary data that doesn't need backing up.
    Browser Cache, other Caches, usually downloads.
    This stuff would just cause a lot of backup load for no reason. If you download something just redownload it.

The HDD System drive clone is a good idea. I am doing the same on my MBP since my Vertex 2 winked out. Now I got a m4 256GB.
    I didn't do it before. Still having a life HDD in the main bay did still help a lot in being back up live in a rather short time. Time machine recovery to the new HDD partition wasn't that long for 60GB.
    I did have a small free partition of about the SSD size left with mostly fast temporary stuff.
    Don't forget a partition at the beginning of an HDD is much faster than at the end. If you care more about the speed of your data drive, put the backup partition at the end of the 750GB drive. If you care more about a max speed backup and fast spare System drive put the small SSD clone at the beginning of the drive.

6. mikepro macrumors 6502

What about this:

Install the recovery partition on both the SSD and 750 gb disk. Use your internal 750 disk as your time machine target. If you have a disk fail, boot of the recovery partition, and restore Time machine backup onto the the 750gb disk. This way you have a backup, and it always has your latest files. And, you wouldn't need the Time capsule. Give you the benefit of always being able to back up and restore on the road.

But, since you already have the Time Capsule, could just do what you propose.

7. phpmaven, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012

phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

What kind of failure did you have with your Crucial M4 256GB SSD?

Never mind, I just saw your other thread.

For the record, I have three Macs with Crucial SSDs, two of which are the M4 256GB and have zero problems. I'm not saying you didn't have a problem, but just that most people's experience with Crucial drives has been positive. Any other drive you decide to go with will also have a few that fail. That's just the nature of the beast.