Ultimate Screwed Up Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wazzat, Aug 6, 2007.

1. wazzat macrumors newbie

Just got my sisters G4 Powerbook 12" 1.5g model. No longer under warranty of course.

She said it wasn't working very well and thought I could look at it for her. Here's what I've found so far:

1. Shift key doesn't work but the computer always boots in safe mode. I figured it was stuck so I took out the key board and cleaned it but that did nothing. So apparently the mac thinks the shift key is depressed but when it boots up (in safe mode of course) the shift key is dead when I type or highlight items. Weird. This of course is preventing me from running the hardware test (holding down option with the install disc) because the shift key is canceling any button combinations I do. I was able to reset the pram but that did nothing to solve my problems. I managed to wipe the Mac and do a clean install (after about 30 kernel crashes) but that did nothing.

So the mac boots up in safe mode no matter what I do and that's buggering up everything.

2. Airport card is dead. System profiler doesn't see it. I checked it out and it's properly installed but it's just not recognizing it anymore.

3. Audio card is dead. Again, no built in audio. Profiler says there is no sound card. I don't know where the sound card is. Is it "built in" like the name says and is it part of the logic board?

So my question is this, is there anyway these are all related? Has anyone come across this before? Is my sisters Mac screwed?:eek:

thanks.

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Sounds like a bad logic board, as to how or why, who knows. At work, I've seen muliple failures after liquid damage to the Mac. Even though they try to clean it up, (if its not plain water) some residue manages to gum up the works.

Also power surges can damage a system and cause strange behaviour.

I like taking systems like this apart and looking for liquid caused gunk, fried chips, etc and seeing if I can resurrect them.

Usually doesn't work but can be fun. Depends on your skills and whether you have a life. :)

Good luck.

3. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

It has taken a bit of a beating, that is for sure.
    Go here:
    http://ifixit.com
    The audio board is clearly described.
    Honestly, I would get a replacement keyboard. I have seen bad logic boards mess with the keyboard but it has always been an entire row of keys, not just one. I think the risk/reward is very strong in your favor.

4. wazzat thread starter macrumors newbie

That's funny, I was afraid someone was going to say it was the logic board as this was my fear as well. If you saw how my sister treats her stuff, the how or why would be very apparent!:)

It would be fun to take it apart and I definitely don't have a life but I want to make sure that there is no other possible cause before I go mucking about in there.

As for skills, I have none but if it's beyond repair who cares!

Thanks for the reply!

EDIT: on the topic of power surges, she has a 3rd party power supply. You don't think that could be a problem do you?