Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
If Apple could create a new AAC codec that is only 1/3 of the size of an mp3 but, the same quality as the mp3, then we could put MUCH more music on a 16GB 'Touch. What do you think? This could be in the works. Instead of trying to make flash ram bigger, make the files smaller! It's perfect!

The new AAC codec could be called AAC+ or something. The extension would be .apc or something. I dunno... just an idea. What do you all think?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
AAC was developed with the cooperation and contributions of companies including Dolby, Fraunhofer IIS, AT&T, Sony and Nokia, and was officially declared an international standard by the Moving Pictures Experts Group in April 1997.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding

just a reminder, wma and ra can be as small as <100kb for a 3 minutes music, of course you lose quality, big time.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
there was talk of Apple allowing use of HE-AAC when the shuffles were first introduced due to their size, but nothing came of it.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I'd prefer to see :apple:TV style iTunes library streaming on the iPhone and iPod Touch. More space without loss of quality.

B

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
yeah but not nearly as streamlined.

same pic I quoted in another post from wikipedia.

250px-Microsd1024.jpg

Im sure apple can make it just as streamlined as current model.

design and ability to compact stuff in a small volume are two things I am very confidant about apple.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
If Apple could create a new AAC codec that is only 1/3 of the size of an mp3 but, the same quality as the mp3, then we could put MUCH more music on a 16GB 'Touch. What do you think? This could be in the works. Instead of trying to make flash ram bigger, make the files smaller! It's perfect!

The new AAC codec could be called AAC+ or something. The extension would be .apc or something. I dunno... just an idea. What do you all think?

Don't you think that if getting better quality out of a smaller file was possible it would be done already? I'm sure they'll get some improvements as time goes on, but all in all compressed stereo audio is about as small as it's going to get.

It's not really important in the long run anyways, as storage capacity is just going to get larger and cheaper as the years go on making smaller compressed music less important.

What WOULD solve this problem for me is if Apple developed an audio container that stored two versions of a song in it, and tracked all the meta-data jointly. One version would be flagged as the "main" track and the other as the "portable" track. Both would be stored on your computer and managed in iTunes, when you played it on your machine it would playback the "Main" version, and update the playcount and other metadata for both. You could choose which one you wanted to sync to what device; so if you had an 80gb iPod classic you could have it get the "Main" version only (leaving the "Portable" track behind) so you got the best sound quality without "wasting" space on the portable device. Alternatively you could also have an iPod Shuffle or 8gb Touch and have the "Portable" version of the track sync, leaving the "Main" behind, letting you get the most onto the smaller device.

There should also be a piece of meta-data that forces a track to behave differently than the standard option.

I'd like it if you could set iTunes to rip CDs in both qualities that you defined at the same time (it would just do each track twice when you imported) and iTMS sell tracks like this by default. For iTMS, I could see them doing 160kbps AAC as the "Main" and 96kbps as the "Portable".

For some people, this would be great as they want Lossless copies on their computers, but syncing that to an iPod is not always ideal, so having your CDs import in Lossless and 128kbps (or 256kbps, etc) would be great for the "audiophile" crowd who wants to have the best experience on their expensive home speakers, but also wants to take some music out for a jog.

Personally, I'd set it for 192kbps and 96kbps. I have pretty crappy hearing, and can only hear the difference in 96kbps AAC to 128, or even 160, on some tracks and only if I listen really hard. On the other hand, having a higher quality master would be nice for transcoding to other formats, burning CDs for people with better ears, etc, is always nice.

I suppose they wouldn't even need a single container for the joint files, but that would probably simplify managing your library...

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
same pic I quoted in another post from wikipedia.

Im sure apple can make it just as streamlined as current model.

design and ability to compact stuff in a small volume are two things I am very confidant about apple.

A mate of mine has one of those in his iRiver. It bumps the storage up to 10GB, but startup is pathetically slow. I don't know if its the player or the card, but i'm weary of expandable memory now.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
A mate of mine has one of those in his iRiver. It bumps the storage up to 10GB, but startup is pathetically slow. I don't know if its the player or the card, but i'm weary of expandable memory now.

some cards are slow, some are fast.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
This is pretty streamlined. 16GB on board and a slot (it's Sandisk's SansaView):

Depends what you mean by streamlined.

4.3 x 2 x 0.4 inches, 2.4 inch screen versus 2.75 x 2.06 x 0.26, 2 inch screen for the nano. I couldn't find a weight listed for the sansaview.

I'd be really surprised if you could make a player as small and thin as the nano and fit in a card slot.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
the problem with the memory cards is this: its not simple. and lets face it, thats what the iPod is about.

you then have to know whats on what card and switch them out. and it doesn't keep the design streamlined either.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Depends what you mean by streamlined.

4.3 x 2 x 0.4 inches, 2.4 inch screen versus 2.75 x 2.06 x 0.26, 2 inch screen for the nano. I couldn't find a weight listed for the sansaview.

I'd be really surprised if you could make a player as small and thin as the nano and fit in a card slot.

The OP was talking about the Touch. That's 8mm, vs 6.5mm for the nano and 9mm for the above device. That's not that big a stretch to imagine it in a Touch. It's not Apple's style though. They don't want you to upgrade a thing, just buy a new one.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
the problem with the memory cards is this: its not simple. and lets face it, thats what the iPod is about.

you then have to know whats on what card and switch them out. and it doesn't keep the design streamlined either.

I agree!

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
cards aren't unlimited space. the most more you have is like an extra 4 or 8 gigs maybe...

still tho - when we're debating 16GB touch vs. 160GB Classic

an extra card's not gonna change anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.